Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random Model X sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The discussion (at least originally) wasn't about what was private/public information. It was about monitoring our own behavior (without laws!!) and not removing a little of the *shine* of getting a new vehicle for a new owner. I understand some people think that doesn't matter. Kind of a 'too bad for them if it bothers them' situation. It would have bothered me, after waiting 4 years, to know other people were out seeing my vehicle before I could. Kind of like unwrapping my new Christmas bike and everyone taking pics and showing the pics around before I even got to touch it.

Again, not about what is public or private info or legal or illegal. Out of respect for a new owner, I'd let them have the first peek. Others here clearly feel differently. I'm not going to change that.

For what it's worth I completely agree, Bonnie. And I don't really consider cars being prepped for delivery inside SCs as random sightings, especially now that we're starting to see so many Sigs released into the wild.

The discussion (at least originally) wasn't about what was private/public information. It was about monitoring our own behavior (without laws!!) and not removing a little of the *shine* of getting a new vehicle for a new owner. I understand some people think that doesn't matter. Kind of a 'too bad for them if it bothers them' situation. It would have bothered me, after waiting 4 years, to know other people were out seeing my vehicle before I could. Kind of like unwrapping my new Christmas bike and everyone taking pics and showing the pics around before I even got to touch it.

Again, not about what is public or private info or legal or illegal. Out of respect for a new owner, I'd let them have the first peek. Others here clearly feel differently. I'm not going to change that.

I kept trying to get a good answer about why this situation is different from the overall posting of pictures in this thread. I tried twice up-thread. I guess I'm just lacking some emotional range here as I still can't tell what makes one OK and the other not ok.

I kept trying to get a good answer about why this situation is different from the overall posting of pictures in this thread. I tried twice up-thread. I guess I'm just lacking some emotional range here as I still can't tell what makes one OK and the other not ok.

It's just the desire of some (myself included) to first see their car in the delivery area, as we're receiving the keys - vs. a picture on the forum that someone else took. That's all.

We already took the shine off of one person's experience, and for that, I'm sorry. Do I hold Tesla responsible, too? Yes. But we don't have to add to it.

Screen Shot 2015-12-26 at 10.27.04 AM.png

Taking a photo of the VIN requires one to photograph the interior of the car through the windshield (if the owner is not there).

For me, there is a big difference (if the owner is not there) between taking a photo of the exterior of the car versus the interior of the car through the windows/windshield. I would be pretty creeped out if I some random stranger taking shots of the contents of my car.

And what benefit does having a photo of the VIN confer upon a photographer? All you need is the last three or four digits at this point. It seems that the only reason that the photographer would need the photo of the VIN is to prove that it happened to the doubters on this forum. Does one really need that validation? If people don't believe you without a photo that you saw a model X sig #xxx in the wild, is it really that big a problem for you?

For me, taking a pic of the interior without the owner being there crosses a line of privacy that forays into invasive. And for what? Just to satisfy the lust for information of only the most ardent of doubters? Is that really necessary? Feel free to ask me the last four digits of the VIN, and I'll happily tell a stranger. But please do not take pics of the interior of my car without permission.

How would you feel if a stranger was taking pics of your interior non-tesla car?

It's just the desire of some (myself included) to first see their car in the delivery area, as we're receiving the keys - vs. a picture on the forum that someone else took. That's all.

We already took the shine off of one person's experience, and for that, I'm sorry. Do I hold Tesla responsible, too? Yes. But we don't have to add to it.

View attachment 105522
Sorry but I view this as nonsense. Maybe tesla should blindfold the factory workers so nobody sees the cars before the delivery is taken. Is it fair that someone views my wife's bra before she takes it from the store rack. These people need to get a life and enjoy what they boght

The difference is that an undelivered customer vehicle actually has some assemblance of privacy to it. It is on a private lot, the public is not allowed to get in it, not allowed to drive it, and while Tesla is technically still the owner, essentially it belongs to someone else and even at the Service Center, it should be treated as inside someone's garage or driveway.

The other is that even if you do not have an emotional attachment to first getting the delivery experience before the car is exposed to the public, you should recognize that others might and it's the nice thing to do to let them enjoy their moment.

I for one don't have that emotional attachment to the car, but I would be very upset if someone walked up my driveway and took a picture of my car and it's VIN. It would not bother at all at Costco as there is no expectation of privacy there, but while my car is on my property and in the care of a garage, there is an expectation of privacy. This have been said with phones too. Someone talking on the street has no expectation of privacy of their phone conversation, but talking from inside their house, there is.

Bonnie and others are just asking that some courtesy be extended to not post VINs of undelivered vehicles because the least impactful bet is that the buyer of that car may be upset if such pics are posted.

Sorry but I view this as nonsense. Maybe tesla should blindfold the factory workers so nobody sees the cars before the delivery is taken. Is it fair that someone views my wife's bra before she takes it from the store rack. These people need to get a life and enjoy what they boght

Okay, then I guess I'm a nonsensical person. Because it would bother me. That bra on the rack is not earmarked for one person. You might have an issue if a guest in your home, took a picture of your wife's bra in the laundry room, and posted it on the forum. Or you might not.

Can't you just respect how others might feel here? Do you lose anything?

Totally agree. Not to mention your Model X is going to look like every other model X of that color out there. This is our narcissistic society.

Guess what, when I took delivery of my new Dodge Viper this year they were proudly displaying it in their show room for a few weeks (doors locked) while I was getting back from work overseas. Did I freak out? No, I'm a rational human being and was proud my vehicle was being displayed and promoting an awesome car for others to enjoy.

I can totally respect that. Have in the past, will in the future.

I was trying to understand. That still eludes me.

So first, I truly appreciate your adult response here. I'm not sure I can explain. It's like when I went to pick up my X, and at the door, my friends said 'No, you first! It's your X!'. I have been excited about taking delivery, did my best to stay calm outwardly - but probably would have lost it if people were saying 'hey wandered into this area and saw your car, Bonnie'. I wanted the full delivery experience, not pouring over photos online that some random person took. I think it may just be a personality thing. I like surprises. Please don't ruin it. :)

As far as the nonsense response from others of blindfolding factory workers, it's clear that I can't explain to them. But I will say this: As a population, we complain about government intrusion into our private lives, but think it's fine for individuals to breach what some consider private, just because 'it's not illegal'. It's not illegal to be a jackass either. And yet the majority of the population are not jackasses, even though there isn't a law making it illegal. It's a miracle. :)

So first, I truly appreciate your adult response here. I'm not sure I can explain. It's like when I went to pick up my X, and at the door, my friends said 'No, you first! It's your X!'. I have been excited about taking delivery, did my best to stay calm outwardly - but probably would have lost it if people were saying 'hey wandered into this area and saw your car, Bonnie'. I wanted the full delivery experience, not pouring over photos online that some random person took. I think it may just be a personality thing. I like surprises. Please don't ruin it. :)

As far as the nonsense response from others of blindfolding factory workers, it's clear that I can't explain to them. But I will say this: As a population, we complain about government intrusion into our private lives, but think it's fine for individuals to breach what some consider private, just because 'it's not illegal'. It's not illegal to be a jackass either. And yet the majority of the population are not jackasses, even though there isn't a law making it illegal. It's a miracle. :)
Ok a better example. I commissioned a house to be built 14 years ago. Cost over 2 million dollars. I never expected to be the first person to see it. Many could see it from the road. I did not call you a nonsense person just the idea that no one could see your car before you. Seems a lot like the idea that someone seeing it before you could impact your driving experience/enjoyment is like photographs of people stealing their souls

Ok a better example. I commissioned a house to be built 14 years ago. Cost over 2 million dollars. I never expected to be the first person to see it. Many could see it from the road. I did not call you a nonsense person just the idea that no one could see your car before you. Seems a lot like the idea that someone seeing it before you could impact your driving experience/enjoyment is like photographs of people stealing their souls

Wow. I can totally see how you equate my 'don't ruin the surprise for me' with a belief that a photograph steals your soul. /sarcasmOFF

We're not going to find a point of agreement on this. Was hoping that you might, at least, be willing to respect others' feelings. But this isn't that big of deal to me. And I guess it is a big deal for some to be the first to post photos/VIN of someone else's car in a private location, because they shouldn't care. People will be who they're going to be.

Done with the topic.

Would someone who is actively involved in this VIN debate kindly split this off into another thread? I think the majority of people viewing this thread are looking for pictures and observations of pictures. Not saying it's unimportant, but this is clearly worthy of its own thread.

I think the reality is that anywhere a Model X is seen it will attract attention gawkers, some of whom will take photos. It excites people to see these cars. There is a line that is crossed if people are taking photos of the inside without permission, including of the VIN. Assuming at some point my Sig X exits production, I expect someone will see it somewhere before I do. Maybe even sit in it. I like seeing the photos dreaming that one of the Sig red might be mine. At this point I just want my Model X, even if it isn't a virgin any longer. ;-)

Wow. I can totally see how you equate my 'don't ruin the surprise for me' with a belief that a photograph steals your soul. /sarcasmOFF

We're not going to find a point of agreement on this. Was hoping that you might, at least, be willing to respect others' feelings. But this isn't that big of deal to me. And I guess it is a big deal for some to be the first to post photos/VIN of someone else's car in a private location, because they shouldn't care. People will be who they're going to be.

Done with the topic.
I should give you the last word but I can't help but point out two things
1. No surprise to you how it looked after the reveal so no surprise ruined
2. Next time don't advertise over the Internet when you are picking up your surprise including locations and times. More likely to be a "surprise" then