Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quickcharging in Belgium (DC and AC)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Martin B Neutral: wil dit zeggen dat iedere werfkast met een rode stekker een "nood"oplossing kan zijn?

Verder deel ik de mening dat het onozel is om laadpalen niet gewoon te laten werken zoals andere tankstations. Met een bankpas of creditcard. Zou veel moeite besparen.
Over een paar maanden hoop ik mijn Model S te ontvangen, maar zie door het bos de laadpalen niet meer.

Is het nuttig een nieuwe thread te starten nu, eind 2013, over de beste manier om een trip te plannen? Ik zie dat de meeste abonnementen verdwenen zijn en de meeste laadpassen gratis worden en sommige bedrijven beginnen samen te werken.

Of een europese Wiki over wat je allemaal nodig hebt om een probleemloze trip te maken. Chademo adapter komt eraan...

So, as a future owner of a Tesla Model S. Is there a list of things I should buy so I can charge in Belgium, The Netherlands, Germany. I travel these countries on a weekly basis. Seldom more then normal range, but on the Autobahn it will be difficult not to burn a lot of Kw. And what when I go on a vacation. There are a lot of threads, but the info is mostly not of real first person experiences.

From what I learned. I have to buy a type 2 cable and for belgium also the Chademo adapter will bring a lot of possibilities of faster charging. I have a rfid card from the new motion (who are working hard to make this card work in the benelux and maybe Germany). RWE announced HUBJECT. European Roaming on Charging.

Do I just have to be patient?

For example: traveling to Italy? I found a lot of charging points. But they need a contract, in Italy?! How is this possible? Maybe one day someone will see electricity as fuel for cars and put Fastchargers next to the fossil fuel and make it possible to juice up with a credit card.

But my question today is. Please, people in benelux (and germany) with real experience. Let us "newbies" know what to buy and what to do, so we can travel with ease.

Well, they say if you want a job done properly, do it yourself. So I jumped into my Roadster and drove to Brussels.

First stop was the Brussels service centre where I received a warm welcome. I fully charged the car, picked up a friend who lives nearby and we set off to Cambre

20150828_190252.jpg

Good news: Apart from the fact that this one was left as a rain catcher and the plug had slightly oxidised, it works! The HPC showed an error and a red ring on the car, but after we cleaned it out a bit more it charged ok at 60 Amps. That's €4 per 20 minutes, of which we wasted €1 getting it working, but it should be ok now. Take some WD40 if you go there.

20150828_190421.jpg

20150828_190336.jpg

Next we rushed down to Jambes as we were getting close to their 8 pm closing time.

When we got there, we found a VW bocking the charger, but I stretched the cable across - only to then find a message on the screen saying "Emergency Stop". Trying to reset the emergency stop button doesn't cancel this.

20150828_195855.jpg

20150828_200748.jpg

We went into the kiosk and asked about it. They said that the charger has been like that for 6 or more months. An SGTE technician has been out to fix it several times and cannot make it work. This is frustrating, because I bet the Clipper Creek HPC is working fine, but it is turned on by the PIN pad mechanism on the super complicated CHAdeMO machine.

This location is really useful as it bridges the gap between Brussels and Saarbrucken. It would be great if others can contact Total or the garage itself (which I think is a family run operation) on 081 30 29 87 and let them know that we would like this fixed.

Thx for your update!
Personally, I don't count on the Total charging points anymore. During the first month I got my model S (January '15), I planned to quick-charge my car in Vilvoorde (Schaaerbeeklei), but the charging point was out-of-order. They told me it would be repaired in max 14 days. Of course, I went back to this station and it was still out-of-order. A few months later, I checked again but nothing changed.
This is lame from Total not to maintain their expensive investment.

And by the way, why would you deploy a pre-paid system only open during the shop hours? I still don't understand how difficult it would be to have a bancontact / Visa payment system in these chargers (this is a general remark for all the charging station businesses :wink: )

It's a real shame that there is this fairly good condition HPC that is attached to this POS charger that is probably going to end up being ripped out and destroyed.

I got the impression that the garage in Jambes is just a family run operation that doesn't know what they have there. If only we could get them to take the HPC and connect it to another power supply on the building. That's why I would be grateful if other Roadster owners can call them and ask or maybe become friendly with the proprietor to make something like that happen.

Anyway, I mentioned I wrote to Total Belgium (in my best French so no excuse for language barriers). After one month, they finally came back with this:

Madame, Monsieur,

Nous vous remercions pour la demande que vous nous avez adressée le 14-08-2015, et dont le texte est repris ci-dessous:

Je prévois de visiter la Belgique avec une Tesla Roadster dans un proche avenir et voudrais savoir quelles stations PlugToDrive pour cette voiture sont actifs. La Tesla Roadster possède une prise spéciale qui je sais que certains de vos sites avaient. S'il vous plaît voir l'encadré gris dans la photo ci-jointe.

Je vous serais reconnaissant si vous pouviez me dire où ils sont disponibles.

Cordialement,
David

Nous l'avions enregistrée sous le Numéro I1508 670.

Comme promis, voici la suite qui lui a été réservée:

Vous pouvez charger votre véhicule à la station de La Cambre (Chaussée de Waterloo 886, 1000 Brussel)

Nous restons à votre disposition pour de plus amples renseignements.

Nous espérons ainsi vous avoir apporté la réponse attendue.

Par souci d'efficacité, pourriez-vous nous rappeler ce numéro lors de toute autre correspondance relative à ce message?

En vous remerciant à nouveau, nous vous prions d'agréer, Madame, Monsieur, nos salutations distinguées.

TOTAL BELGIUM

Sofie CALLENS

Yeah, thanks.