Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions for 2015 Shareholder's Meeting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some small news sites quoted Elon at the Edison convention yesterday saying that Model 3 will start at 250 mile range (and I'm assuming $35k base still), which would be great news. Unfortunately there are no videos or reliable sources to confirm this, could someone ask to confirm this today?

If someone does show up in a costume. As your identity would be hidden meaning that you would receive no ramification from asking a stupid question, I dare you to ask Elon...

"Will you produce a diesel version of the Model S to compete with proper car companies?"

Some small news sites quoted Elon at the Edison convention yesterday saying that Model 3 will start at 250 mile range (and I'm assuming $35k base still), which would be great news. Unfortunately there are no videos or reliable sources to confirm this, could someone ask to confirm this today?

No. Watched the stream of his interview yesterday, and believe he said 200 miles real world, hopefully more.

Hi,

When the Gigafactory comes online (in early 2016?) will the initial pack production costs be substantially less than Fremont, and how long will it take to achieve the 35% economies due to scale?

Will the start of Gigafactory production begin with higher energy density cells and if so approximately how much?

I could not see the video so followed the twitterians paraphrasing the interview so I’ll abbreviate the first reference I saw, by @yoavlurie: “$35,000…200mi…late 2017”.

This is the site I was referring to 5 reasons electric cars will be norm by 2020 | NOLA.com

Of course, I'm questioning the validity which is why I hope someone can clarify. IMO if they are confident enough to declare 250 miles @ $35k that would be very significant.

edit: Now I need to go and understand just what is required to put a shareholder proposal to the meeting... Be afraid, be very afraid.
I think my first proposal would be to (1) limit the time to 30 seconds, (2) limit proposals to 1 member per family where "family" is defined as "people dwelling within 2 miles of each other for more than 10 days a year", (3) immediately cut the mic for any follow-up questions at all related to an active proposals, and (4) raise the requirements for future proposals.

- - - Updated - - -

The proposal was never going to get through - it seems the only time shareholders vote against the Board is around executive pay when a company is performing poorly.
So perhaps rather than bullying the board (and the audience), the right approach would be to work with Tesla to craft a proposal that the Board would agree with?

Tesla was essentially hijacked by two proposal readers who knew each other and knew what they were doing. Tesla should have the right to “discern” in advance that two or more shareholder proposals basically amount to the same thing, and reduce them down to one - as a matter of expediacy. Then have the proposers figure out between themselves which one of them is going to read out that one condensed proposal.

Total time spent on leather issues (proposals being read, plus PETA lady) – 9min48sec. Total time Elon spent answering the one question about Powerwall – 8min40sec. I am sure many of us thought Elon could have cut short his answer in order to answer more questions. I wonder how we can convey that… J

How many of the leather issue people are also spending their time approaching/lobbying the other - gigantic - car manufacturers? Tesla produces a really small fraction of all cars that feature a leather interior. What progress are they making with, say, Ford, Tata, Toyota, Volkswagen and General Motors? I’d like to know that they’re not focusing on Tesla more than they should.

It’s true that the man-made, artificial fertilizers used to grow the fodder crops for cows whose hides end up in Tesla cars, increases demand for fossil fuels that are dug up out of the ground. However – IMO those cows would still be raised and fed (for beef and milk) even if Tesla cars did not use their hides. Purchasing a cloth interior for your Tesla car doesn’t materially reduce the number of cows that are raised & fed in the world, or the amount of fertilizer that’s produced.

- - - Updated - - -

Like everyone else, I was disappointed by the quality of the questions. I still thought this year’s Q&A was better than some of those gone by. We’re spending less time listening to people describing how much they love their car, and not actually getting around to a question.

I think there should be some process for logging the text of your question before the meeting, and attendees can elect to abstain or “upvote” or “downvote” your question. The 10 questioners that get the most votes… in order of upvotes... get to read their questions out, and by that process the entire audience gets to field questions, in a way, and I’m sure the PETA question would have been eliminated, and so would the “so-called-questions” that ramble on about some person’s personal situation.

Example:
MC: "with a total of 352 upvotes, Jack Kawalski please come to the microphone."
Jack Kawalski: "thank for taking my question, when will the Model X be revealed?"

MC: "with a total of 194 upvotes, Elizabeth Jones please come to the microphone."
Elizabeth Jones: "thanks for taking my question, have any other manufacturers contacted you about joint ventures or using your patents?"

MC: "with a total of 103 upvotes, Abdul Kundi please come to the microphone."
Abdul Kundi: "thanks for taking my question, I noticed the Fremont factory is not covered in solar panels. Why are you not using that opportunity to set a great example?"

...and so on.

Last edited:
MC: "with a total of 103 upvotes, Abdul Kundi please come to the microphone."
Abdul Kundi: "thanks for taking my question, I noticed the Fremont factory is not covered in solar panels. Why are you not using that opportunity to set a great example?"

...and so on.

Probably because that is much more attractive once you can attach batteries to it. By that same logic, I wouldnt' expect the GF to have panels until it is producing batteries (or just a small number).