Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pure BEV Dogma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can we simmer down a little bit? I have both cars and enjoy them. They both have their purposes, and I happily plug both in at night. In the Volt, I'm still on the tank of gasoline from the dealership since March. It's used for a second car and squeezing miles out of the battery is kind of a fun game.

Enjoy the cars, enjoy the cost savings, enjoy the technology, etc. We're all of similar mindset.

And for the record, the Volt is an EV with a range extender. The main difference between the Volt and the i3REx is the Volt's generator (electric side) is used for driving the wheels when it's not generating. There is never a link between the ICE and the wheels. The REx in the i3 has a dedicated generator (lawn mower!)

This has been covered a thousand times but there can be a mechanical linkage between the motor and wheels (accelerating up a mountain for example) I thought.

Thanks it's really same team, kinda childish to say volt is not an ev

Yes, as long as you don't drive more than 35 miles a day it is effectively an EV. Drive more than that and I think you could probably understand that burning gas to generate electricity makes some people decide to not call that an electric vehicle (they are thinking runs only on electricity as its fuel source while others define that as only what drives the wheels regardless of how the electricity is generated).

Actually you have that backwards. Volt owners want an EV so badly many of them claim they are driving one, and go to great lengths to avoid using the ICE.

I must have been using hope on my first thousand miles with zero gas!
that was cute really

You just proved my point.

It doesn't blow my mind at all!
somebody said most people want an ev, I correctly pointed out only about 1 percent buy them.

So you're telling me that if GM offered an all EV Volt for the same price but it had say 400 miles of range and could be quickly charged anywhere, you'd still buy the current hybrid version?

Unless the latest model has finally managed to make this a reality, the GM was unable to make this initially promised architecture a reality. The Volts have had a planetary gearset in the drive line that clutches the ICE in under specific circumstances.

The Volt is a hybrid.

Not a hybrid (well, not a parallel hybrid like the Prius)

Chevrolet Volt Drive Simulation - YouTube

The clutches and ring gears can be a little confusing for some on the generator side.

Mountain Mode just engages the generator to top up the battery in anticipation of a heavy draw such as going up a mountain.

GM Chevy Volt

Im very happy with the volt, chevy calls it electric so do I. If someone wants to confuse other people calling it a hybrid fine.

So you put gas in your car but it is still a pure electric vehicle. Ok. This is really semantics. It's not an insult to call the Volt a PHEV or a hybrid with 35 mile EV range. Just a fact. That you drive almost entirely in EV mode is great and only proves the point that if you can drive thousands of miles with a 35 mile EV then a 265 mile one might work as well.

Let's take this to the EV Dogma thread from here on. Companies call their products a lot if things but that doesn't make it so.
Pure BEV Dogma

Not a hybrid (well, not a parallel hybrid like the Prius)

Chevrolet Volt Drive Simulation - YouTube

The clutches and ring gears can be a little confusing for some on the generator side.

Mountain Mode just engages the generator to top up the battery in anticipation of a heavy draw such as going up a mountain.

So you put gas in your car but it is still a pure electric vehicle. Ok. This is really semantics. It's not an insult to call the Volt a PHEV or a hybrid with 35 mile EV range. Just a fact. That you drive almost entirely in EV mode is great and only proves the point that if you can drive thousands of miles with a 35 mile EV then a 265 mile one might work as well.

Let's take this to the EV Dogma thread from here on. Companies call their products a lot if things but that doesn't make it so.
Pure BEV Dogma

Most people consider Prius a hybrid, battery assisting ice.
Volt is electric driven by gas generator battery charge after 40 miles

GM Chevy Volt

Most people consider Prius a hybrid, battery assisting ice.
Volt is electric driven by gas generator battery charge after 40 miles

Yes it is. With the key words being 'gas generator'. If there was a nuclear reactor back there it would run on electricity after the first 35 miles but you better believe people would care what was providing the additional range extending power.

Yes it is. With the key words being 'gas generator'. If there was a nuclear reactor back there it would run on electricity after the first 35 miles but you better believe people would care what was providing the additional range extending power.

I prob wouldn't have bought one and yes I do think they'd care a lot

- - - Updated - - -

The Volt can run in serial or parallel hybrid mode. It is capable of both and uses both to maximize efficiency.

It is also a hybrid. But that's an oversimplification. I don't give a hoot about hybrids, but I traded in a muscle car I loved for a Volt. Why? Because it is also an EREV. What is an EREV? It's an attempt to come up with a term to explain how it goes significantly beyond a typical hybrid, but isn't a straight EV either. You could also call it a plug-in hybrid, but compared to other plug-ins, that really doesn't do it justice either. It really deserves it's own category. It's the closest I can get to an EV in my personal situation, where even a Tesla won't work just yet (still a year or two more before a Tesla would be viable for me).

That said, I can't wait until Tesla gets the Supercharger network finished, and coming out with the Gen 3 would be awesome as well. I look forward to trading up my Volt for a Tesla some day. I want the full EV experience, but it just isn't quite viable yet. Until then, the Volt is as close as it gets.

That's exactly where I am, supercharger between New Orleans and Florida I'm in. Prob in time for model 3

Im very happy with the volt, chevy calls it electric so do I. If someone wants to confuse other people calling it a hybrid fine.
I call electricity "unicorn dust". So, really, I'm driving a unicorn.

If you just want to redefine terminology at will and then everybody has to agree with it, then what's the point of using words at all?

And for the record, the Volt is an EV with a range extender.
My bicycle is a unicycle with another wheel.

At some point, adding parts to something pushes it into a new category of "something different". I think we'd probably agree on the unicycle -> bicycle transition but apparently there is significant disagreement (even among TMC members) about what you can add to an "EV" while still having it remain an "EV".

I don't understand all of this talk of 35 miles of battery range on a Volt. After over 11K miles (30 gallons of gas), I "average" 45 miles per charge. In the spring and fall I get around 50 miles per charge. The only time I drop below 40 miles is in the winter (below 32 degrees when ALL vehicles suffer)

The Chevy Volt is an "Extended Range Electric Vehicle". It is NOT a hybrid. If you pull out the spark plugs in a hybrid, it will NOT move. If you pull out the spark plugs in a Volt, you will get OVER 40 miles before it rolls to a stop.( because the engine will not start to operate the generator)

I don't understand all of this talk of 35 miles of battery range on a Volt. After over 11K miles (30 gallons of gas), I "average" 45 miles per charge. In the spring and fall I get around 50 miles per charge. The only time I drop below 40 miles is in the winter (below 32 degrees when ALL vehicles suffer)

The Chevy Volt is an "Extended Range Electric Vehicle". It is NOT a hybrid. If you pull out the spark plugs in a hybrid, it will NOT move. If you pull out the spark plugs in a Volt, you will get OVER 40 miles before it rolls to a stop.( because the engine will not start to operate the generator)

So it is both and EV and an ICE then that are melded to work together but it isn't a hybrid? I don't see why people take offense at the designation PHEV 40. It is a plug in Hybrid electric vehicle with a 40 mile EV range. Nothing's bad about that description. Says it can drive on 40 miles of electricity from an outlet then a different fuel source is responsible for generating electricity (gas). How is using gas to make electricity not make it some kind of hybrid? Sure it's not the same kind if hybrid as a Prius but no one said it was.

Calling the Volt a hybrid or PHEV isn't a derogatory term. If you never use the gas engine then what is the point of having it? Chevy should just make a Volt with a 40 mile EV range and leave out the ICE backup then. The car would be lighter, cheaper and have more EV range.

As has been clearly shown over and over in this thread, the Volt is in fact a parallel/series hybrid of the plug in variety. Some of you seem to think a "hybrid" only applies to vehicles such as the original Prius, when that is not the case at all. Since the Volt can get power from two different on board sources, the battery and the ICE, that makes it a hybrid. Since the battery can also be charged from the grid, that makes it a plug in hybrid. Since the ICE can power the electric motor in some cases, that makes it a series hybrid. Since the ICE can also drive the wheels mechanically through a physical connection as well that makes it a parallel hybrid. Add it all up and you have a plug in parallel/series hybrid. That's exactly what it is, and there is nothing wrong with what it is, and obviously people bought the Volt specifically because it was not an EV, because they wanted the ICE backup.

- - - Updated - - -

The funny thing is Chevy caused the confusion by pretending it's an EV. Hence a large part of the population calling it a $40,000 EV that can only go 40 miles.

I don't see why people take offense at the designation PHEV 40. It is a plug in Hybrid electric vehicle with a 40 mile EV range.

I think the issue is that other PHEVs, like Plugin Prius and to some degree the Ford Energi, cannot be driven at full power without gas. The Volt allows true 100% EV driving until the battery is depleted, so it's should not be in the same category as lesser PHEVs.

As has been clearly shown over and over in this thread, the Volt is in fact a parallel/series hybrid of the plug in variety. Some of you seem to think a "hybrid" only applies to vehicles such as the original Prius, when that is not the case at all. Since the Volt can get power from two different on board sources, the battery and the ICE, that makes it a hybrid. Since the battery can also be charged from the grid, that makes it a plug in hybrid. Since the ICE can power the electric motor in some cases, that makes it a series hybrid. Since the ICE can also drive the wheels mechanically through a physical connection as well that makes it a parallel hybrid. Add it all up and you have a plug in parallel/series hybrid. That's exactly what it is, and there is nothing wrong with what it is, and obviously people bought the Volt specifically because it was not an EV, because they wanted the ICE backup.

- - - Updated - - -

The funny thing is Chevy caused the confusion by pretending it's an EV. Hence a large part of the population calling it a $40,000 EV that can only go 40 miles.

Indeed. "It's an EREV," said the Chevrolet engineer. "What's that?" asked Joe Public. The Chevrolet engineer thought for a moment and began to explain. "It's..." A hand was slapped over her mouth. "Sshhhh! This is my area of expertise. Go engineer some stuff." The engineer turned and walked away, shaking her head.

The GM Marketing Expert turned to Joe and smiled. "If you drive it you'll not have to go the gas station for months!" "What?" asked Joe, a slightly confused expression on his face. "So, it's some kind of electric car? Range about 40 miles?" The Marketeer sighed. How to explain the wonders of this new vehicle? "You will see them at gas stations occasionally, although I know it's confusing. So if you aren't confused by it you must be intelligent and superior and want a Volt.." Joe's expression didn't change. The Marketeer turned and walked away, satisfied in a job well done.

.......At some point, adding parts to something pushes it into a new category of "something different"...... apparently there is significant disagreement (even among TMC members) about what you can add to an "EV" while still having it remain an "EV".

True. To some people an EV is defined by what it has. To other people it is about what it doesn't have.

- - - Updated - - -

Good explanation JRP3. :smile:

GSP