Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchased preowned M3 - Ownership transfer issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello! We finally got our 2021 Tesla Model 3 delivered from Vroom this morning. It had a few more blemishes than what was advertised so the driver took photos of those to give to Vroom. The charging cable was in the trunk but the J-1772 adapter is missing, so I am addressing this with Vroom as well.

The previous owner is still signed into the vehicle and as such I am unable to factory reset the car so that I can start the ownership transfer process with Tesla. When I try to do that through the app I get an error saying "Unable to claim ownership". I feel like I'm stuck until Tesla can do something about it.

Anyone else go through this and know what the fix is?

Hey! I was in the same boat, so I called Tesla and advised them of the situation. They asked that I e-mail [email protected] with the following:

-- My VIN
-- A copy of the front / back of my license
-- The Vroom Purchase Agreement
-- The Vroom Registration Application
-- My Tesla Account e-mail address

I sent it over and in 3 days, I got an e-mail that my Tesla was added to my account.

Hope this helps!

The previous owner can log into their Tesla web account and remove the car from their account. If they won’t do that, you’ll have to wait for Tesla to intervene.
Unfortunately since I bought it from Vroom I have no way of getting a hold of the previous owner. I did get a hold of Tesla Customer Support and they said they could do this manually and emailed me what they needed me to provide. He said it could take 3-5 business days until this happens though. If I had the J-1772 adapter I would feel better about driving it out and about right now. Vroom said they would replace the missing adapter so we shall see.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Hey! I was in the same boat, so I called Tesla and advised them of the situation. They asked that I e-mail [email protected] with the following:

-- My VIN

I sent it over and in 3 days, I got an e-mail that my Tesla was added to my account.

Hope this helps!
Thank you! Vroom has been something else to deal with. The car has 3 additional blemishes that were not identified in the listing. Minor curb rash on one of the wheels; a paint scratch on the hood edge near the wiper, and an obvious touch up paint spot behind the right rear small window that looks like crap. Their customer support says someone will be in touch with me in 3 days. Same with the missing J1772 adapter.

Thank you! Vroom has been something else to deal with. The car has 3 additional blemishes that were not identified in the listing. Minor curb rash on one of the wheels; a paint scratch on the hood edge near the wiper, and an obvious touch up paint spot behind the right rear small window that looks like crap. Their customer support says someone will be in touch with me in 3 days. Same with the missing J1772 adapter.
FWIW, My M3LR that I bought via Vroom did not come with a charging cable or adapter. I called them and complained. I was advised that I would hear from Vroom in 72 hours -- I went ahead and purchased a replacement for the cord and adapter.

-- My VIN

Hope this helps!

This right here.

Also, you should be able to upload those documents from your Tesla account on the website. You did create an account, correct?

And you don’t really need to factory reset it.

Only true if the previous owner already did a factory reset. You don’t want the previous owner’s settings, nav destinations, etc. No harm in doing a reset before you start changing things.
I definitely need to do a factory reset as the previous owner did not, and their profiles are still there along with their navigation history. I don’t need that info.

I do like that it already has the heated rear seats though. Driving it is a blast! My wife wasn’t too happy with me with how many times I floored it to see what the acceleration was like. 🤣. I did notice on the standard 110v some times shows up to 5 miles per minute charging which I thought the limit on a 15 (12 amp) circuit was 2/3?

What is the factory range for a 2021 M3 SR+ with the NCA batteries? When I tap on the trip line at the end of the battery chart on the screen it shows 252 miles. Would this be battery degregation? Build date was 11/20.
2021 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus RWD says 263 miles EPA range.

There was also a 2021 Model 3 SR+ with LFP battery with 253 miles EPA range, but that was offered late in the 2021 model and calendar year.

I just bought a 2019 Model 3 from Vroom and am having almost the same experience. I can't say I'd ever buy a car from them again. They had my money in early February and the car arrived last night at 8:30PM with a couple extra door dings, some crap all over the seats, and the previous owner still signed in.

Vroom is supposed to be reimbursing me for the detail I paid for to clean up the paint swirls and dirty interior, and I even spoke with one of their Executive Escalations people who assured it was approved and would be overnighted to me. That was 3 days ago and I've sent her several emails for follow up with no reply.

I'm going to have Tesla do the touch ups correctly, and I have service scheduled for next week to get that done. From order to delivery for us was about 3 1/2 weeks. We finally got the car on my Tesla account last night after waiting nearly a week from emailing Tesla with the info they needed. Car feels more like ours now. :)

So sorry to hear that you're going through that though. I will never use Vroom again for sure.