Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchase 2013 P85+?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all! Quick question that I know many have pondered.

I once owned a Model 3 Performance and enjoyed the car, but sold it for a profit during the used car boom in 2021.

I have recently came across a 2013 Model S P85+ with less than 15k miles and it is enticing…I’ve always loved the Model S but can’t bring myself to fork out the money for a new one.

To my questions: Is there anyway to tell if the car has had the battery replaced? What about replacement of the drive unit? Like many folks contemplating an out of warranty Tesla, my biggest fear is the battery!

I’m not worried about the MCU as I know how to easily tell if that was upgraded and it isn’t too costly if I need to upgrade myself.

Anything else I should be contemplating or looking for prior to buying a 10 year old Tesla?

Thank you!

Did you buy it?

Probably not.

1689717207701.png

I saw a P85+ for sale and my worry is out of battery warranty! It's just too risky unless they had it replaced.

Even if they had it replaced, it could still be risky. The reman batteries from Tesla have a short warranty, and they are used batteries that could fail again in a short time. The buyers of early Model S cars are either very brave or completely unaware of the dangers.

Reactions: dmurphy
Even if they had it replaced, it could still be risky. The reman batteries from Tesla have a short warranty, and they are used batteries that could fail again in a short time. The buyers of early Model S cars are either very brave or completely unaware of the dangers.

Quoted for truth.

I was looking for a "lower cost" Tesla for my son as his first car ... was thinking an older Model S would be great.

Have a friend who had a 2013 - very early build - sitting in his garage collecting dust. Took a look at it, hemmed and hawed over it, and then decided to pass. Ended up selling my Model 3 to my son (I secretly put the money he gave me into a side fund - will give it back to him after college... but he doesn't know that.) and bought myself a Refresh S instead.

Glad I did. My friend sold that '13 to a "buy here pay here" used car lot, and not even a month later, the battery's failed.

Good call.

I mean, for what he was asking for the car, even with investing in an 057 or Recell battery would've made for a very nice car at a decent price ... but still - hassle I won't be dealing with. 3 is a better car for a new driver anyway - smaller, easier to maneuver, less boat-like. ;-)

Reactions: Jomak and TLLMRRJ