Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pulled over driving Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I expect mine to be joules, too... unless it turns out to be a boy (I had a storm grey passat that was an old man, back in the mid 90s).

No need to let that stop you, have a good (male) friend named Jules. Not uncommon.

Is this your good friend?

tumblr_m8s8v0aUhz1rp1j78o7_500.jpg

I got pulled over just like the OP. The cop said "I pulled you over because you don't have any plates"

I said, I know I just got the car. He never asked for my license or the temp registration. I asked him if he needed them. All he said was, "hmmm all electric huh?"

Lol

I've now been pulled over TWICE in three days... got let off both times. Once for lack of a license plate and once for speeding AND lack of a license plate.

Both times the cop walked around the car and asked a lot of questions. The one last night wanted me to demonstrate the auto-presenting door handles. It was pretty funny once I determined I wasn't getting a ticket.

I put in a call to Tesla about the plate, as it has basically been a month. They are tracking it down for me. I believe the temp reg is only good for 30 days, so I'm pretty much out of luck next week...

Man, my cop was just lame! didn't even care about the car or notice anything 'different' except it was a new car. Most people that I tell 'I got a 45 in the 35 zone' laugh and say that they didn't know you could get a ticket for that, they drive faster than that usually!
This is my first bit of any sort of 'bad luck' in many years, good to know what it feels like, I guess :tongue:

I was taking my son to the babysitter this morning. As I passed the local high school, I noticed a police car pass me going the other way. I noticed in the rear view mirror that he pulled fairly abruptly into the parking lot and turned around.

I knew what was coming.

I turned onto Route 10 and continued on, fully expecting a police car to pull up behind me. Within 20 seconds, there he was. Actually, following uncomfortably close (good thing I didn't brake check him! ;)

"Do you know why I pulled you over?"

"I'm pretty sure it's because I have no plates," I replied.

"You don't have ANYTHING!" he said.

"Well, I've got the temporary tag in the window, here's my driver's license and insurance. It's new--just got it and haven't received the manufacturer's Certificate of Origin yet."

By this point, I realized the rest of this stop was all about the car.

"What is this?" he quizzed.

I went through the same spiel I've been through 100 times (and loving it every time!). "It's a Tesla Model S. All-electric. 300 mile range, zero to sixty in about 4 seconds."

As I was saying this, he noticed the touchscreen/digital dash and his eyes widened.

"Wow, nice car! Since I stopped you I'll still have to see your license." I gave it to him, along with Tesla's "I can't get you a Mfcr Cert. of Origin in a timely manner" letter. He returned after 3 minutes.

"Allright, you have a nice day."

I asked him if he wanted a ride.

"No thanks, I can't...I'd probably scratch it up anyway. But really nice car man!"

I put my license away, touched the brake, switched into drive, and crept off. I was gone before he was back in his car. I don't think he even heard me leave!

Man I love this car!

By the way, it's pretty clear to me that if I only made it a few weeks without front plates, I'd better put them on when they arrive...

Did I mention I love this car?!?!?!?

I was taking my son to the babysitter this morning. As I passed the local high school, I noticed a police car pass me going the other way. I noticed in the rear view mirror that he pulled fairly abruptly into the parking lot and turned around.

I knew what was coming.

I turned onto Route 10 and continued on, fully expecting a police car to pull up behind me. Within 20 seconds, there he was. Actually, following uncomfortably close (good thing I didn't brake check him! ;)

"Do you know why I pulled you over?"

"I'm pretty sure it's because I have no plates," I replied.

"You don't have ANYTHING!" he said.

"Well, I've got the temporary tag in the window, here's my driver's license and insurance. It's new--just got it and haven't received the manufacturer's Certificate of Origin yet."

By this point, I realized the rest of this stop was all about the car.

"What is this?" he quizzed.

I went through the same spiel I've been through 100 times (and loving it every time!). "It's a Tesla Model S. All-electric. 300 mile range, zero to sixty in about 4 seconds."

As I was saying this, he noticed the touchscreen/digital dash and his eyes widened.

"Wow, nice car! Since I stopped you I'll still have to see your license." I gave it to him, along with Tesla's "I can't get you a Mfcr Cert. of Origin in a timely manner" letter. He returned after 3 minutes.

"Allright, you have a nice day."

I asked him if he wanted a ride.

"No thanks, I can't...I'd probably scratch it up anyway. But really nice car man!"

I put my license away, touched the brake, switched into drive, and crept off. I was gone before he was back in his car. I don't think he even heard me leave!

Man I love this car!

By the way, it's pretty clear to me that if I only made it a few weeks without front plates, I'd better put them on when they arrive...

Did I mention I love this car?!?!?!?
It's kind of cheating, but next time ask him to let you take a picture of him taking a picture of you from the police car. We haven't seen one of those yet -- at least not on TMC, AFAIK.

We need to see a picture of the backup camera with a cop car in it!

I messed up when I got a ticket.

# 1 - I should have said my wallet was in the 'trunk' then popped the frunk and looked in, only realizing it was indeed in my pocket...

# 2 - picture of the cop in my rear view camera + one of my car pulled over with police behind & lights on

# 3 - ' I was testing cruise control' and didn't realize the 5 mph bumps were so, well, 5 mph (BS, but may have worked?)

We need to see a picture of the backup camera with a cop car in it!

You can count on me for this one. I have a knack for getting pulled over. I used to keep a journal it was so ridiculous. I stopped counting around 45 times. I am probably up to about 60-65 by now. It's almost always for having tinted windows. If its not that it's for speeding. I usually never get a ticket either lol . I moved back and forth between NJ and MD and whenever I did actually get a ticket in one state my license was in the other so I've never actually had any points on my license since they don't transfer between those two states haha but you can count on me getting stopped all the time around where I live. I'll have my iPhone ready!

You can count on me for this one. I have a knack for getting pulled over. I used to keep a journal it was so ridiculous. I stopped counting around 45 times. I am probably up to about 60-65 by now. It's almost always for having tinted windows. If its not that it's for speeding. I usually never get a ticket either lol . I moved back and forth between NJ and MD and whenever I did actually get a ticket in one state my license was in the other so I've never actually had any points on my license since they don't transfer between those two states haha but you can count on me getting stopped all the time around where I live. I'll have my iPhone ready!

First one with Mr. Plod in his rear camera, start a thread .... I will join you, most likely.