Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pulled over driving Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, it is annoying when people just assume they can hinder you in your daily activities. Just today I was driving thru a parking lot when a guy with a landscape trailer just pulls out and stops in front of me completely blocking my way. His better half then gets out to take pictures of my car while I am trapped in the parking lot. They didn't even say a word to me.

Wow, that's utterly ridiculous. The least they could have done is apologetically asked to take a picture. I think if someone did that to me they would have found "the bird" being flipped at the camera in every shot.

I recently had a random stranger - not a police officer - stop me. Seriously. I was dropping off a coworker at the local bus station, and as I was driving by this guy sees my car, starts waving, and steps in front to stop me. No kidding.

I roll down the window and he starts asking me about the car. I would have happily answered all his questions if he had come up while I was stopped, but in this case I felt he crossed the line. I simply told him it was a Tesla Roadster and then drove off.
Just curious: If it was a 5 year old, would your reaction to the (over the top) enthusiasm be different?

- - - Updated - - -

*polite cough*

Guys, can we stay on topic and not go political? I don't disagree with the posts here, just not appropriate.
I kind of think it's on-topic, bonnie.

The original story was about an officer of the law using that position in a way that many of us find objectionable and counter to the freedoms intended with the government we're under.

I kind of think it's on-topic, bonnie.

The original story was about an officer of the law using that position in a way that many of us find objectionable and counter to the freedoms intended with the government we're under.

I understand. I read the original post first. Getting pulled over inappropriately is something we've talked about from time to time. But the thread was going the way of freedoms/government/etc & not specific to Model S. The decision has been made that this is a car forum. Like I said, I don't necessarily disagree - only that it isn't appropriate here.

Just curious: If it was a 5 year old, would your reaction to the (over the top) enthusiasm be different?

I'd be talking to their parents about the desirability of letting their 5 year old run in front of cars. This guy literally stepped in front of a moving vehicle, forcing me to hit the brakes.

As for enthusiasm, he didn't even know it was an EV. He asked me if I "did the bodywork myself". I looked at him like he was from Mars, realized he thought it was a home build or something, and told him it was a Tesla.

I'd be talking to their parents about the desirability of letting their 5 year old run in front of cars. This guy literally stepped in front of a moving vehicle, forcing me to hit the brakes.

As for enthusiasm, he didn't even know it was an EV. He asked me if I "did the bodywork myself". I looked at him like he was from Mars, realized he thought it was a home build or something, and told him it was a Tesla.
Elaborating - I think what's objectionable here is that it's an adult and he should know better than to be cognizant of driving situations and respectful of another person's time. If it was a child I'd be a little more forgiving, fostering the enthusiasm while offering parental advice as well. Sometimes even adults unintentionally let the child take over, as it seems this chap did.

I don't think being pulled over was unreasonable—just inconvenient. There was a LONG delay with Tesla getting the paperwork to my state (and it still wasn't all there when they sent it), so it was about 2 months of driving around with the narrow CA registration slip running along the right hand edge of the rear window. We were pulled over 4 times during this period. Twice by state police, once by a county sheriff. I am not sure what the 4th one was (I wasn't in the car). None of the various police in VT were familiar with CA registrations, and even if you look at it, it is barely readable. They had no way to know what the slip in the window was (and probably couldn't see it from their car anyway). One officer explained that normally when they see a car without plates it is someone driving with a suspended registration or driving a stolen car. So pulling over was reasonable. One policeman noted that it was really surprising to pull us over (at night) to find a family in a car without plates. She gave us a long chat about how it is illegal to be driving in VT without plates, but she wasn't going to ticket us given the CA registration—but she clearly wasn't happy I hadn't just run down to the DMV and gotten my VT temp plates. It was more frustrating though when they tried to run the VIN and couldn't find it in the computers. I don't know why it isn't easier to check a national database and find a VIN. Anyway, we finally have plates (even if only on the back—we will see if we get pulled over for no front plate) so hopefully this will cease!

However, I for one feel civil liberties are the last refuge for free citizens to defend themselves from tyranny.

Thus, it upsets me substantially to learn of how the authority abuses its power to infringe upon the free movement of citizens (among other things).
Have you considered moving to New Hampshire? Seriously; you would find yourself in like-minded company. The state motto is "Live Free or Die."

Add me to the list of pulled over in the Model S. Allegedly stopped for a "rolling stop"..which I admit to. But I've rolled through that stop which is on a rural county road with good visibility to all surrounding traffic many times and, actually, I slowed more than usual b/c I saw lights behind me. But this Sheriff had spotted me at least a 1/2 mile sooner and followed me down the road toward my house and had closed the gap behind me. And he knew it was "One of those electric cars". Was very chatty, very nice, no formal warning, just a verbal and was interesting in the handful of features I could show him about the center display.

I've had some folks following way too closely in an attempt to read the "Signature" script on the back. Had to do the careful driving thing for the both of us.

Sometimes I wish both cars had TESLA displayed more clearly on the back. It's hard to read on the Roadster, and all but impossible on the Model S. It's the cause of a fair bit of tailgating.

Tailgating? Unless I'm in bumper to bumper traffic, they can't keep up with me in my Model S, let alone tailgate me! :)

Well, I've had a lot of driving-in-traffic, horrible-driving-conditions, and preserving-range-during-road-trip driving. I gotta say, it's kinda annoying when they're tailgating you in the horrible-driving-conditions situation.

1 Month , 1 day, 1 TICKET (oops)

:eek:
All was going well with the S...until

RADAR w/ no detector!

45 in a 35!
But I have to pee officer?

that's all? damn lucky I must say, good thing they only caught that one! time to be much more careful on the 35 that most people drive between 40-45mph
(and I think I may have hit close to 70 in the wee morning hours)

No car comment whatsoever from the EPD. 'is this a new car?' since I have no plates yet.

The girl is fast, what can I say?
DSC006941.jpg

(Joules at a private disc golf course in Fieldbrook, Ca)

they need to make custom radar detector installation an option!

+1
The bitch is quick. I had just taken off from a light and usually hit 45 before backing off to 38 or so (as quick as you can lift you're foot!)
The 'cop' just happened to be in 'my zone' of higher speed.

I'm afraid I may drop my average Whr/mi down below 400 after this 'incident' hmm
Maybe I should start charging at home, that'll make me slow down a bit. Cheaper than a ticket.