Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pulled Over By A State Trooper!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Abuse" would be typically defined by the victim (Todd) and he clearly did not indicate any sense that his best interests were compromised. If anything, the best interests of the community were served when the police officer became more aware of the characteristics of the vehicles on the road.

Not picking sides, but I think it is borderline potentially dangerous just to try to have a discussion with anyone in the next lane at 60mph.
Both drivers potentially distracted?
If this happened every time you got near a trooper?
I love Tesla time but there's a time and a place.
Had you met him in a parking lot ...

Yeah, this was the only thing that really surprised me--which is why I motioned to him that I'd rather pull off to a side street and park.

Well anyway, this thread has really gone off the rails. I just wanted to post it because it was fun and thought it was interesting. Anyway, I enjoyed it. It was just an innocent opportunity to EVangelize....

Gotta agree with rlawson. It is relatively minor, it was fine with Todd, and I've done worse on my job, but still not technically appropriate. I would not want to be stopped, and even if he didn't use his sirens, the perceived power differential when you're on the freeway makes it difficult to decline his "request" if the Tesla owner actually was unwilling.

LOL...

Todd, what is it about your threads that most of them turn into train-wrecks? haha... and this coming from me! you have like the best intentions and there's always a Debbie Downer lurking to put the buzzkill on ya!

That's the curse of not using a menacing avatar on this forum :).

- - - Updated - - -

Gotta agree with rlawson. It is relatively minor, it was fine with Todd, and I've done worse on my job, but still not technically appropriate. I would not want to be stopped, and even if he didn't use his sirens, the perceived power differential when you're on the freeway makes it difficult to decline his "request" if the Tesla owner actually was unwilling.

I can see your point here--just wanted to make it clear that it was all with good intentions. The first thing he actually did when I glanced over was give a thumbs up. Perhaps you just had to be there, but I didn't feel like I had to stop at all. He was originally just complimenting the car. He was clearly more interested though, which is when I suggested we pull over so I could show him some more of the car.

I live in VA, and I think it's a cool story and would do the same under similar circumstances: the dude was making it clear he was acting in personal, as opposed to official, capacity.

Cops are people too.

I'd much rather see an "inappropriate" pull-over that enhances public relations b/w law enforcement and the public than some cold, hands-off authoritarian type of situation. I think positive PR could easily be considered part of the job.

Classic Plymouth police cruiser still fighting crime in Seattle | Fox News

He credits the car with reducing/eliminating a gap between the police and citizens, even citing suspected gang members that will come up and talk to the officer.

First of all, I don't really see this as a huge deal. It's certainly an awesome story, kinda cool that it happened and all that.

But what if we switch it around and substitute "Model S" with beautiful woman? Cop flags down a hot chick on the freeway, strikes up a conversation and maybe ends up making out with her for a few minutes.

Now, if I am the woman I think it's kinda cool, certainly flattering, and if he gave me his number I might even go out on a date with him cause he's cute. But would I think it was appropriate? Certainly not.

P.S. For the record, if I was the woman I obviously WOULD make out with him, cause that's just the way the world oughta work... :rolleyes:

I had a policer officer who spot the car on my way back home. He change his way to follow me (was on the right lane as I was turning left). He followed me until home (1 mile from the left turn). When I parked the car he asked me " what is the green plate?" (in Quebec plates for electric car are green instead of blue for the others). In fact this was just a way to start the conversation, and have the opportunity to walk arround the car. However he didn't ask for a ride :wink:

This thread has officially gotten weird.

First of all, I don't really see this as a huge deal. It's certainly an awesome story, kinda cool that it happened and all that.

But what if we switch it around and substitute "Model S" with beautiful woman? Cop flags down a hot chick on the freeway, strikes up a conversation and maybe ends up making out with her for a few minutes.

Now, if I am the woman... <snip>

I had a policer officer who spot the car on my way back home. He change his way to follow me (was on the right lane as I was turning left). He followed me until home (1 mile from the left turn). When I parked the car he asked me " what is the green plate?" (in Quebec plates for electric car are green instead of blue for the others). In fact this was just a way to start the conversation, and have the opportunity to walk arround the car. However he didn't ask for a ride :wink:

This would be the right way to do it (plus getting a ride is okay, too). If what happened to Todd happened to me and I actually didn't have time to do it, what sort of thoughts would have gone through my head? First I would have wondered if this was some weird way of being pulled over. Then, when it was obvious that I wasn't, I would have thought, "Hmm...If I don't indulge this guy, is he going to have it out for me?" Obviously, I would have no idea what kind of trooper this was. Could have been a jerk. Cops don't like me, in general. Hindsight is 20/20. I probably would have indulged him even if I didn't have the time, because I would be worried about the consequences. That's why it was not the right way for him to have gone about it.

It's great that there are cops like him who are as obsessed as we are. He should have done what the mountie did for toto, or at least to a traffic light or something.

Great story. I wish the cop who pulled me over 10 minutes after picking up my S at the Fremont, CA factory had been that sweet. I kid you not, literally the first time I used the accelerator after picking up my car at Tesla, I got a speeding ticket. Sigh....

ToddB,

Let me congratulate you, and present you with your virtual Tesla Ambassador of the Day award.

By your account, you you have been courteous, kind, helpful, cheerful, informative, educational and patient.
The recipient went away thrilled, enlightened, excited, and grateful.
May we all be able to reach such lofty ideals when it comes to dealing with perfect strangers.

- - -

Policemen are people, too. They deserve to see us at our best. They too often see people at their worst.
I hope/trust his (allowable) "vehicle research" will help him do his job better.

-- Ardie
And policemen can be Tesla customers, too.