Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Puddle on floor and then no more AC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PedanticOne

MyTesla Refresh Champion
Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2016
Bay Area, CA
So yesterday I backed my car out of the garage and noticed a puddle of something where the front of the car would have been. It felt slippery, which made me think of coolant. But I don't think it was blue or green (hard to tell on my floor). Later, I got in the car and noticed the AC was no longer functional.

The day before, my car was parked outside for a good chunk of the day, and man, it was warm out. I later parked the car in the garage. When I did so, I was thinking "man, this car is hot, I'll roll the windows down and let it air out". I did so, got out, and went into the house.

Later, I went into the garage and my car was making a bunch of noise and I was like "wth" and noticed the vents were on and blowing warm air. I got my key, unlocked it, rolled up the windows, and then locked it again. It then completely shut down.

I am wondering if perhaps rolling down my windows was a mistake, and perhaps the car was trying to cool itself down, but never could (it was registering 120 degrees shortly after I put it in the garage) and maybe the AC unit gave up the ghost?

I'm bringing it in this morning, but has anyone seen anything similar (car venting for a long time, puddle of goo, no more AC)?

I posted this on the Tesla forums, but figured I'd post this here because I searched and didn't see anything quite like this anywhere.

Was it a puddle of goo or a puddle of water? Air conditioners naturally dehumidify the air as they run and the water that comes out of the air is drained under the front of the car. If your car is sitting in one place with the AC running for a long time it's perfectly normal for a puddle of water to form and may be unrelated to your issue.

If it was a puddle of goo, then that would definitely not be normal, although I'm not sure I can imagine an AC failure that would create a puddle of goo. Even if the system develops a leak the coolant should just evaporate... it wouldn't puddle up under the car.

I know some early production Xs had crossed AC lines into the compressor, but looking at your signature it should be a much later build. Could still have been possibility though.

"Goo" as mentioned is most likely lubricant that is in the AC refrigerant to lubricate the pump. I assume a hose, connection, or seal in the pump failed.

I think there is no correlation to having leave your windows open. Yes, the AC may have been working hard, but shouldn't have caused a failure.

I think there is no correlation to having leave your windows open. Yes, the AC may have been working hard, but shouldn't have caused a failure.

Yes, I agree. Though I do wonder if there was an issue which caused it to continue running for so long. If the windows are open, and the car is locked, the AC should shut down, afaic.

Entirely possible. But at the same time, if the car knows the windows are down, why try? It's futile.
It may know they are down, but don't think there is any direct feedback with the HVAC other than temperature sensor. It would probably be an unusual circumstance to have windows down yet still have interior temp above 105F. Since your car was in the garage with no real ventilation at 120F, I think the car was just trying to do what it thought it was supposed to; drop cabin temp below 105F. However with the windows down, essentially it was needing to cool down the whole garage and it probably overworked itself.