Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I turn off driver's side AC but keep passenger side on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My contact lenses get extremely dry when cold AC is blowing towards my eyes. I typically angle the driver's side vents away from my face, but I'm still catching enough air to dry my eyes out rapidly. Is there a way to turn off the driver side AC vents while leaving the passenger side on?

Also, is there a way to set the passenger and rear set AC to come on when in auto mode, or do the passenger and rear vents rely completely on occupancy sensors? When I get into the car on a hot sunny day, I feel like it takes far longer to cool the cabin if only the driver's side AC is blowing. I would rather have the passenger side and rear AC blow as well to help cool the entire cabin down. From what I can tell, the only way to make that happen is to manually engage the passenger side and rear. Is that the case, or am I missing something?

Thanks for any guidance!

Reactions: beachmiles
My contact lenses get extremely dry when cold AC is blowing towards my eyes. I typically angle the driver's side vents away from my face, but I'm still catching enough air to dry my eyes out rapidly. Is there a way to turn off the driver side AC vents while leaving the passenger side on?

Also, is there a way to set the passenger and rear set AC to come on when in auto mode, or do the passenger and rear vents rely completely on occupancy sensors? When I get into the car on a hot sunny day, I feel like it takes far longer to cool the cabin if only the driver's side AC is blowing. I would rather have the passenger side and rear AC blow as well to help cool the entire cabin down. From what I can tell, the only way to make that happen is to manually engage the passenger side and rear. Is that the case, or am I missing something?

Thanks for any guidance!

I'm not aware of any way to turn off the driver side.
For the passenger side, it is seat sensor controlled.
For the rear vent, you can manually turn it on by going to 4. This will work even in auto.

If the air is getting into your eyes, in section 3 below, turn off the vents that blow toward your face (the middle icon) and enable the vents that blow to the windshield or to your feet.

If you must have face blowing vents on, you can also try splitting the airflow and moving it up and down to see which direction is the best.

GUID-52603571-37D0-48A9-9B49-49C94C3EB05D-online-en-US.png

I'm not aware of any way to turn off the driver side.
For the passenger side, it is seat sensor controlled.
For the rear vent, you can manually turn it on by going to 4. This will work even in auto.

If the air is getting into your eyes, in section 3 below, turn off the vents that blow toward your face (the middle icon) and enable the vents that blow to the windshield or to your feet.

If you must have face blowing vents on, you can also try splitting the airflow and moving it up and down to see which direction is the best.

GUID-52603571-37D0-48A9-9B49-49C94C3EB05D-online-en-US.png

Nice diagram

Thanks for the input. I wish Tesla would allow us to set it and forget it! I like the idea of the occupancy sensors, but clearly this is a perfect example of when they're hurting more than helping. That said...a first world problem and I can't get too upset. :)

I never tried it but you can split and control sides separate maybe if you can’t turn off drivers side aim it down put blower on low set passenger cooler a driver warmer I know you can aim the flow away from your face by aiming the flow

For anyone else with this or a similar issue...I found and ordered a vent block that works great: Vent Cover for Tesla Model 3/Y by Ludicrous Tesla on Tindie

This was apparently designed and 3D printed by forum member icefree, and discussed in this thread here on the forum: Blocking or covering the air vent output?

I wrapped mine in carbon fiber vinyl to make it a little more visually appealing. It works very well and almost completely shuts off airflow to the side of the car on which it is installed. My contacts are much happier now. :) Thanks to all who provided input.

Reactions: beachmiles