Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Public service announcement for P+ owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a problem with tire wear on the MS????

No problem here, currently have 28K on original 21 Conti's and will EASILY surpass 35K as long as you:

a) Read every one of your posts
b) Understand very basic geometry
c) Agree that tire designers/engineers design tires to be driven upright (ahem...flat tread) and pointed straight for a street driven vehicle (toe OR camber kill tires PERIOD!)
d) Realize the S is pure genious, but accept that it is not perfect
e) Don't accelerate the heavy S any quicker than you would a comparable (not that anything REELY is similar) ICE performance sedan
f) Don't constantly "shift" between accelerator pedal and full regen (I ease off the throttle)
g) Run minimum factory front camber spec (unsure why this has been so neglected)
h) Eliminate or reduce "holeshots" (stopped this activity during test rides after the first 6 months of ownership, if I can only get the "Empress" to follow this very tire taxing but fun demonstration)
i) Reduce time/miles driven in "low" setting on air cars to reduce camber gain

Last edited:
lola,

Yes and no.........

a) Sorry, my error for posting this on the P85+ thread (as I only have a P85 and the extra 20mm tread width becomes more significant (but the 265 does have a taller/more beneficial sidewall) as you travel down the negative camber curve)
b) Yes. I am currently a member of the <1 degree club as previously stated elsewhere

However,

c) I did have massive rear camber (-2.5 degrees pass rear) as most early air cars did for my first 10K miles driven
d) I did have rear toe out for my first 10K miles driven
e) I was forced into "low" bringing my rear camber to exceed -.3 degrees (pre 5.8) on the highway for my first 10K miles driven
f) Even a simple "inside-out" has doubled my front and rear tire life
g) Driving style on the S IS WAAY more important than an ICE car if one wants to increase tire longevity

Tire wear information (issues, corrective actions) has been clearly stated on multiple threads and multiple posts for 1.5 years on this most informative forum. As you have stated in previous posts, it's up to the owners to decide what they are comfortable with.

I will gladly spend my money on both silver and gray and in both staggard and non-staggard 21's and 20's, but I will not throw my money away un-necessarily on 25% used up corded expensive tires due to a simple shortcoming of a most incredible car.

Any owner that operates outside Tesla guidelines or factory specifications is doing so at their own risk. These risks include, but are not limited to: property damage, personal injury, and even death.

Last edited:
Yes. I actually, wanted to be a Mid-Atlantic installer of UL's. I even made arrangements with my local shop where I, and ONLY I would drive the S's onto the rack and wait inside the car (may help in a small way to duplicate actual loading) while rear toe was reset. This install was quickly dismissed as liability issues surfaced. WRT to the ease of install, it was just as easy as my fun little DIY HPWC install.
@Linkster

I was curious how you ended up in the LT 1% club since the above post seems to indicate that you didn't install longer links due to liability issues.

Ugh all this damn bellyaching.

The tire wear doesn't sound unusually high for a $130,000 car in this performance category to start with. Now we have 2 more damn threads on it.

Of course I can believe the alignment issues are experience by many, that's because they stick the wrench monkey lowest on the totem pole on balance/alignment service, and that includes Tesla service. Find a shop that has an actual professional who can also tell you if their machine is properly calibrated to optimize the alignment/tire life, then STFU.

:rolleyes::mad::rolleyes::mad::rolleyes:

I am REELY starting to enjoy this factual and refreshingly blunt post more and more............