Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: Poor Quality PPF Install - Auto Film Guys in Tarpon Springs, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

240vPlug

Feb 3, 2021
Maryland
I want to start by saying that I accept responsibility for my choice to have the job done out of my home state and on a short timeline. I will never make this mistake again. In hindsight I should have just applied track wrap to the high impact areas and taken it to my trusted installer in MD. I am posting this in the hopes that it will help someone else avoid the same type of experience I had.

The owner Chris seemed like a really nice and down to earth guy. I just wanted full frontal and I only had 2 and a half days in town before I had to drive back to Maryland. Chris said that if I wanted to do full PPF on the entire vehicle his entire team agreed to come in and work on it to have it done by close of business Monday. I dropped it off to him Saturday afternoon the 6th of May. I wasn't able to leave with the truck until after 11pm Monday night and had to make the 15hr drive back to MD on very little sleep.

When I returned to MD that is when I started to notice problems with the install. I contacted Chris and he was responsive and agreed to help. My trusted installer advised the panels needed to be redone. When I supplied Chris with the estimate he became irate. He said they (my installer in MD) were trying to take advantage of him and the situation. I was trying to be resonable so I asked for XPEL to send me to another installer. When I met them in person I didn't feel comfortable leaving my new truck with them. In the end, Chris offered to reimburse $500 when the estimate was for $1,150. I came back an asked him to cover only the high impact repairs for $650. He refused and so reluctantly I agreed to a credit of $500. Two days later I discovered there are many more issues with the install.

Needless to say I am very disappointed. Despite me repeatedly asking them if two and a half days was enough time for a full PPF they assured me they could do it and they accepted the job. They charged me $7,169 and what I received is what I feel is a poor and clearly rushed PPF install. The worst part is their refusal to support me when they knew going in that I would be back in MD and 15 hours from them.

Here are pictures of all the issues. I have certaily learned that its not worth it to have the PPF installed far away from your home and that it is critically important to select the right PPF installer. Chris at auto film guys told me he has over 25 years experience installing film. What do you all think?

oaDyjSS.jpg

Lifting Edge on roof spoiler

oR894NY.jpg

Gap in coverage in high impact area

rhE5HX4.jpg

Passenger side mirror with same gap in coverage

qQ0Ng7w.jpg

Forgot to cut back film & poor alignment

F5rmUCa.jpg

Lifting Edge on Charge Port Door

LSQVkMY.jpg

Front Driver Side light bar