Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did I get scammed? [on tint and PPF install]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am currently in a mid size (~250k people) midwest city. I wanted to get windows tinted, and maybe get some PPF.

Decided on XPEL XR Plus Window Tint, and there are 4 shops in town that are certified XPEL dealers. Got quotes from all 4, and went with this particular shop because they tied for cheapest price, and had the best reviews.

Owner's wife answers phones and there is a bit of a language barrier but she told me they have 35% Plus, but do not carry 30%. I wanted 30% but 35% close enough, fine. Scheduled an appt.

Went in yesterday morning at 10am for appt. One of the installers comes out to greet me and he's asking me what I want and he says they don't carry 35%, only 30%. I thought weird, but okay. Told installer I'm interested in learning more about PPF. Owner comes out and quotes a low price for a "Bikini PPF" of the bumper, part of hood and fenders, and side mirrors and door edges. I agree. Then owner says he can have it done same day, and I think "how could he have 4 doors, rear hatch, windshield, and PPF done today?" but I think okay maybe he has multiple installers. I tell him to keep it overnight so he doesn't have to rush it.

Went with 70% XR Plus Windshield, Rear Doors, Rear Hatch and 30% XR Plus Front Two Doors plus the Bikini PPF in XPEL Ultimate Plus.

Did some more research yesterday afternoon and learn that most of the better PPF installers "wrap the edges." I called owner, and he had no idea what I was talking about. He kept thinking I was asking about the door edges. Had to explain it to him, and he said they would wrap the hood. So now I am a little nervous.

Go in today to pick up car around noon. Right when I see the car I notice the film seems more grey/black than a blue-ish hue. The samples they have up on the wall, as well as reports here in the forum say that XR Plus is more blue than grey/black. Went over to their wall of film (attached pic) and notice they have a TON of CS and XR Black, but not a single box of XR Plus anywhere. Also notice edges are not wrapped, and PPF from panel to panel doesn't match, and there are small circular holes in the film at the edges. Also PPF lines are not straight or consistent, and on the rear view mirrors, it only goes on one side and doesn't wrap around to the side facing the car.

I ask owner about the XR Plus and he claims it's so expensive they don't keep boxes of it, and only have it hanging up on the rolls on the wall (which are all labeled "Ceramic"). He could tell I was hesitant, but claims I did get XR Plus, and that that is how PPF is installed and how it is supposed to look. Fine.

Go to pay and receipt says "ceramic tint" with no brand or product type. I ask the wife (who is also checking me out) and she does change receipt to say XPEL XR Plus.

Did I get scammed, or am I being a Karen? Help.

Attachments

• IMG_1678.jpeg
    IMG_1678.jpeg
    634.4 KB · Views: 1,414
  • IMG_1688.jpeg
    IMG_1688.jpeg
    336.9 KB · Views: 1,218
  • IMG_1687.jpeg
    IMG_1687.jpeg
    244.9 KB · Views: 1,212
  • IMG_1686.jpeg
    IMG_1686.jpeg
    248.7 KB · Views: 1,193
  • IMG_1685.jpeg
    IMG_1685.jpeg
    256.6 KB · Views: 1,226
  • IMG_1684.jpeg
    IMG_1684.jpeg
    352.5 KB · Views: 1,227
  • IMG_1683.jpeg
    IMG_1683.jpeg
    522.9 KB · Views: 1,271
  • IMG_1682.jpeg
    IMG_1682.jpeg
    215 KB · Views: 1,214
  • IMG_1681.jpeg
    IMG_1681.jpeg
    198.9 KB · Views: 1,215
  • IMG_1680.jpeg
    IMG_1680.jpeg
    357.2 KB · Views: 1,182
Here are some more pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_1689.jpeg
    IMG_1689.jpeg
    266 KB · Views: 1,077
  • IMG_1690.jpeg
    IMG_1690.jpeg
    279.1 KB · Views: 1,019
  • IMG_1691.jpeg
    IMG_1691.jpeg
    358.8 KB · Views: 1,045
  • IMG_1692.jpeg
    IMG_1692.jpeg
    430 KB · Views: 1,039
  • IMG_1693.jpeg
    IMG_1693.jpeg
    253.9 KB · Views: 1,056
  • IMG_1695.jpeg
    IMG_1695.jpeg
    237.3 KB · Views: 984
  • IMG_1696.jpeg
    IMG_1696.jpeg
    337.5 KB · Views: 985
  • IMG_1697.jpeg
    IMG_1697.jpeg
    284.9 KB · Views: 1,041
I don’t know about the rest, but the edges on the tint are TERRIBLE. That literally looks the first time I tinted a window as a teenager. On a good thing job, the edges are cut so close to the edge of the window that you almost cannot tell it’s tinted.

Yikes! Looking at those tint lines, I’d never have paid for it. That’s just bad. Any good shop wouldn’t let that roll out the door.

Ugh.

Well "scam" implies intentional subterfuge. Maybe this is more a case of poor quality workmanship (though I'm not the person to judge as I don't know anything about tinting or PPF)
By "scam" I am referencing whether I actually received the XR Plus or just regular XR.

I also know very little about tinting or PPF so I wanted some others opinions on the "scam" part but also the quality of the work.

What would you recommend I do?
I would have them remove the tint and find a real tint shop. Years ago, I found the tint shop that was doing all the work for a cluster of BMW, Infiniti, Lexus, and a couple other dealers. I never compared them on price. They have probably done more than a dozen cars for my father and me. Tinting is a very high skill task, so it is not something to cost shop on.

The owner has to know that their work is amateurish. Either that, or he’s never seen another tint job. If you have a friend with tinted windows, bring the car to compare your window edges to theirs. I would not trust them to redo the work.

I would have them remove the tint and find a real tint shop. Years ago, I found the tint shop that was doing all the work for a cluster of BMW, Infiniti, Lexus, and a couple other dealers. I never compared them on price. They have probably done more than a dozen cars for my father and me. Tinting is a very high skill task, so it is not something to cost shop on.

The owner has to know that their work is amateurish. Either that, or he’s never seen another tint job. If you have a friend with tinted windows, bring the car to compare your window edges to theirs. I would not trust them to redo the work.
Would you demand a full refund? Partial?

Real tint shops have pattern cutters with patterns for most cars. They perfectly precut the tint to your windows so the edges are exactly perfect. If he does not have a cutter, then he can never achieve high quality results. Before the cutters, which is a long time ago, they went through a lot of razor blades with steady hands to get good results. That dude used a dull kitchen knife on your car.

Update: I called XPEL Customer Service and they sent me to the XPEL Regional Manager who said "this is terrible" and he is going to have it re-done at the shop he would use for his own car.
Ouch! Glad you're getting a do-over. Why would you get this done in some small mid-west city when you live in LA? Gotta go with the shops who do this stuff day in and day out!

Ouch! Glad you're getting a do-over. Why would you get this done in some small mid-west city when you live in LA? Gotta go with the shops who do this stuff day in and day out!
Good question. I live part of the year in my midwest hometown, and am here for Christmas/some business stuff in Dec/Jan, and I wanted the tint for the roadtrip back West including UV protection etc. I wanted the PPF so it didn't get too chewed up on the road-trip either. Also, I was nervous about having stuff in the Tesla overnight at hotels with no tint where everyone could see inside.

• Informative
Reactions: Dennisis