Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did I get scammed? [on tint and PPF install]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can sympathize. Up until this year, I drove 1.5 hrs away from my house to get my ppf and tint done by the same place (they did 4 of my cars in 10 years) …. I found a more local place (15 min away) to put ppf back on a single door.

The local place criticized the ppf that I had always went to , but when they did it, they didn’t wrap the edges of the car door. I didn’t realize it until a few days later. But I knew I was trading it in and I didn’t want to take more time off, rent another car, for them to redo it.

Now for some advice…. Are they authorized dealers/installers of the tint/ppf?

If so, contact the manufacturer and let them know. Some manufacturers don’t want bad installers giving their product a bad name. They may be able to offer a solution or put pressure on the shop to make it right. Good luck!

If you’re in the Chicagoland area, I can give my recommendations….

Reactions: woolymammoth17
I am currently in a mid size (~250k people) midwest city. I wanted to get windows tinted, and maybe get some PPF.

Decided on XPEL XR Plus Window Tint, and there are 4 shops in town that are certified XPEL dealers. Got quotes from all 4, and went with this particular shop because they tied for cheapest price, and had the best reviews.

Owner's wife answers phones and there is a bit of a language barrier but she told me they have 35% Plus, but do not carry 30%. I wanted 30% but 35% close enough, fine. Scheduled an appt.

Went in yesterday morning at 10am for appt. One of the installers comes out to greet me and he's asking me what I want and he says they don't carry 35%, only 30%. I thought weird, but okay. Told installer I'm interested in learning more about PPF. Owner comes out and quotes a low price for a "Bikini PPF" of the bumper, part of hood and fenders, and side mirrors and door edges. I agree. Then owner says he can have it done same day, and I think "how could he have 4 doors, rear hatch, windshield, and PPF done today?" but I think okay maybe he has multiple installers. I tell him to keep it overnight so he doesn't have to rush it.

Went with 70% XR Plus Windshield, Rear Doors, Rear Hatch and 30% XR Plus Front Two Doors plus the Bikini PPF in XPEL Ultimate Plus.

Did some more research yesterday afternoon and learn that most of the better PPF installers "wrap the edges." I called owner, and he had no idea what I was talking about. He kept thinking I was asking about the door edges. Had to explain it to him, and he said they would wrap the hood. So now I am a little nervous.

Go in today to pick up car around noon. Right when I see the car I notice the film seems more grey/black than a blue-ish hue. The samples they have up on the wall, as well as reports here in the forum say that XR Plus is more blue than grey/black. Went over to their wall of film (attached pic) and notice they have a TON of CS and XR Black, but not a single box of XR Plus anywhere. Also notice edges are not wrapped, and PPF from panel to panel doesn't match, and there are small circular holes in the film at the edges. Also PPF lines are not straight or consistent, and on the rear view mirrors, it only goes on one side and doesn't wrap around to the side facing the car.

I ask owner about the XR Plus and he claims it's so expensive they don't keep boxes of it, and only have it hanging up on the rolls on the wall (which are all labeled "Ceramic"). He could tell I was hesitant, but claims I did get XR Plus, and that that is how PPF is installed and how it is supposed to look. Fine.

Go to pay and receipt says "ceramic tint" with no brand or product type. I ask the wife (who is also checking me out) and she does change receipt to say XPEL XR Plus.

Did I get scammed, or am I being a Karen? Help.
You should have received a warranty card for both tint and ppf (if Xpel) in order to register it.

Wow, that’s an awesome customer story for XPEL - happy you are getting this redone
I agree. I did have to push it a bit. Initial customer service lady was nice but said I should take it to another XPEL shop and ask them if I got what I paid for. I asked her what I should do if they say I didn't and she said "well you can ask them what to do." I told her I'd like her to talk internally and get back to me with what their policy would be in a case like this and that's when she connected me with regional manager who has been excellent and right away said they would make it perfect.

I agree. I did have to push it a bit. Initial customer service lady was nice but said I should take it to another XPEL shop and ask them if I got what I paid for. I asked her what I should do if they say I didn't and she said "well you can ask them what to do." I told her I'd like her to talk internally and get back to me with what their policy would be in a case like this and that's when she connected me with regional manager who has been excellent and right away said they would make it perfect.
Good for you!

Now let’s guess which Midwest town you live in by population…
:)

• Funny
This is what I got from my installer. They told me to go onto Xpel website and register.
0E15A476-B37F-4284-A3B3-1AA420F0B106.png

Really? No warranty card or anything like that. Just the receipt I posted.

I read somewhere it's even supposed to include the serial number of the roll. Is that accurate?

I am currently in a mid size (~250k people) midwest city. I wanted to get windows tinted, and maybe get some PPF.

Decided on XPEL XR Plus Window Tint, and there are 4 shops in town that are certified XPEL dealers. Got quotes from all 4, and went with this particular shop because they tied for cheapest price, and had the best reviews.

Owner's wife answers phones and there is a bit of a language barrier but she told me they have 35% Plus, but do not carry 30%. I wanted 30% but 35% close enough, fine. Scheduled an appt.

Went in yesterday morning at 10am for appt. One of the installers comes out to greet me and he's asking me what I want and he says they don't carry 35%, only 30%. I thought weird, but okay. Told installer I'm interested in learning more about PPF. Owner comes out and quotes a low price for a "Bikini PPF" of the bumper, part of hood and fenders, and side mirrors and door edges. I agree. Then owner says he can have it done same day, and I think "how could he have 4 doors, rear hatch, windshield, and PPF done today?" but I think okay maybe he has multiple installers. I tell him to keep it overnight so he doesn't have to rush it.

Went with 70% XR Plus Windshield, Rear Doors, Rear Hatch and 30% XR Plus Front Two Doors plus the Bikini PPF in XPEL Ultimate Plus.

Did some more research yesterday afternoon and learn that most of the better PPF installers "wrap the edges." I called owner, and he had no idea what I was talking about. He kept thinking I was asking about the door edges. Had to explain it to him, and he said they would wrap the hood. So now I am a little nervous.

Go in today to pick up car around noon. Right when I see the car I notice the film seems more grey/black than a blue-ish hue. The samples they have up on the wall, as well as reports here in the forum say that XR Plus is more blue than grey/black. Went over to their wall of film (attached pic) and notice they have a TON of CS and XR Black, but not a single box of XR Plus anywhere. Also notice edges are not wrapped, and PPF from panel to panel doesn't match, and there are small circular holes in the film at the edges. Also PPF lines are not straight or consistent, and on the rear view mirrors, it only goes on one side and doesn't wrap around to the side facing the car.

I ask owner about the XR Plus and he claims it's so expensive they don't keep boxes of it, and only have it hanging up on the rolls on the wall (which are all labeled "Ceramic"). He could tell I was hesitant, but claims I did get XR Plus, and that that is how PPF is installed and how it is supposed to look. Fine.

Go to pay and receipt says "ceramic tint" with no brand or product type. I ask the wife (who is also checking me out) and she does change receipt to say XPEL XR Plus.

I’d be pretty upset if my tint and PPF turned out that way. Hope you’re able to get it resolved and done right.

I mean I did my tint myself and the corners/windows looked way better than that. Can’t speak to the validity of XPEL film however. What I can say is that the install of the tint is sub par.

Yeah, first question at a tint shop should be if they use a pattern plotter, and confirm they have your car's pattern.
Definitely a hack job. Cost cutting all around. Dull blades, possibly even using scrap pieces they tried to trim.
When you get it redone, compare it to these pics to see if you truly did get the blue-ish Plus tint.

As for the PPF, there are also patterns available for that. But most software allows it to be adjusted to add or subtract from the edge measurements.
An inexperienced installer would subtract from the edges so they didn't have to wrap them (which takes more time and skill).
If they were bulk wrapping, trimming it on the car, I would think those edges would be a lot closer to the panel edge.
The mirrors are a dead giveaway that they are not experienced. They didn't even want to try to fully wrap them, because it's a high skill area to do seemlessly.
You're mostly covered, but I would've probably rejected it, if you specifically asked for wrapped edges. They would have to give me a deep discount to keep it.

Update: I called XPEL Customer Service and they sent me to the XPEL Regional Manager who said "this is terrible" and he is going to have it re-done at the shop he would use for his own car.
Good to hear. The regional manager should also offer training (or refresher training) for the installers to mitigate shoddy work coming out of that shop in the future.