Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Press Conference July 17

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thing is, why does he mention Model S and spacex in the same tweet? Must be a connection therefore. I would say logically then, that they were testing out a new exotic power source on the rocket which is why it blew up. Now they've discovered the cause, so they may now use it in Model S. I'm thinking energy capacities on the order of 100 or maybe 110 MWh.

You don't issue bad news during a trading session. All publicly traded companies issue bad news after market close. The fact that the presser is at 11am indicates a positive announcement.

Indeed, if it were bad news it would have been released after the market closed yesterday rather than the notice of a press conference to be held during the trading session today. This is how Tesla advertises good product related news without having to pay the media.

Maybe something like a security update to patch the exploits the hackers are going to reveal at DefCon during their Tesla session.

I'm surprised it took 7 pages for someone to mention this. I agree with this.

- - - Updated - - -

He will announce 'lane keeping with automatic steering' and 'self-parking'. If you look at the design studio they are already there.

Hasn't that been there for a while now?

Thing is, why does he mention Model S and spacex in the same tweet? Must be a connection therefore. I would say logically then, that they were testing out a new exotic power source on the rocket which is why it blew up. Now they've discovered the cause, so they may now use it in Model S. I'm thinking energy capacities on the order of 100 or maybe 110 MWh.
Yes! 0-60mph in .002 seconds, 1/4 mile in 1 second. Will be released soon as soon as final testing takes place for the required g-suits.

Autopilot written all over the press conference.
Im disappointed. I was hoping he'd run for president. But I'll take autopilot.
I'd be mildly canadian level pissed if he announces a major hardware refresh.

BTW it is worth noting that the event is a conference call. So it includes no visuals.
That probably means no new product announcement, just further clarity on existing products.

My hunch is on autopilot.

Last edited:
Yes! 0-60mph in .002 seconds, 1/4 mile in 1 second. Will be released soon as soon as final testing takes place for the required g-suits.

0-60mph in 0.002s is an average acceleration of 1370g. Same order of magnitude as a golf ball with a professional swing. I don't really think g-suits would cut it. :p

Comme on guys ! Less than two hours before the announcement and we haven't even gotten past 20 pages ?

I agree. No visual is necessary to configure Model X package.

If Transport Evolved's information is correct, then I could see this being a Model X related announcement. I know it seems a bit odd to have it over the phone rather than in person, but it could be in keeping with the "not shown until delivered" mantra. They could release all the information relevant for customers to begin placing orders, including:- Base price- Basic specifications (range, acceleration, dimensions)- Relevant options, perhaps keeping a few secret- Delivery schedule- A few updated renderingsEssentially, the call would be revealing the Design Studio while saving the up-close reveal for when deliveries begin. Early Signatures would not have the ability to see and touch the car before ordering, but I'm sure Tesla would provide some recourse such as the ability to reject delivery without penalty should it not meet the buyer's expectations. The regional specific information after the call would then give other areas of the world approximate timing and local pricing.
I would not mind at all if Tesla just let me choose package options (already know what they are from Model S design studio) and colors, and prices. After all, that was how I ordered customized PC package from Mr. Ted Waite of Gateway in the 90s.