Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Precondition battery for supercharging before leaving hotel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To confirm best practices when there is a supercharger within walking distance of the hotel I am staying at and I wish for a fast charge session prior to buttoning up for the night:

Don’t navigate to the hotel but do navigate to the supercharger of interest; then insert the hotel as destination once the car is plugged in.

Question: if the car thinks that the supercharger of interest is the destination (last way point in the parade of way points), what triggers it into automatically pre conditioning the battery for a supercharger session?

I have found that I have to trick the navigation system into thinking that the trip immediately carries onto another supercharger (in the intended direction of the next days trip) for the system to pre condition the battery.

I have found if I navigate to the supercharger of interest and have the hotel as the next way point (for example less than one km away), the car doesn’t pre condition the battery because it already has enough charge to travel the next (one km) leg.

I ran into this situation last week driving from Ottawa ON to Raleigh Durham, North Carolina and back; with an overnight stop in each direction.
Would it be simpler to navigate to the SC as the destination and just forget about the hotel but find it the old fashioned way on your phone instead? As far as Nav is concerned you took some wrong turns on the way to the SC?

Would it be simpler to navigate to the SC as the destination and just forget about the hotel but find it the old fashioned way on your phone instead? As far as Nav is concerned you took some wrong turns on the way to the SC?
I did that on the northbound drive.

I did not have the hotel per se in the waypoint parade, just the supercharger that was within a five minute walk of the hotel.

There are a couple of techniques to be able to deal with this type of situation were one forces the car to prepare the battery for a supercharger session, even though that session is going to be within a few minutes of the hotel.

Would it be simpler to navigate to the SC as the destination and just forget about the hotel but find it the old fashioned way on your phone instead?
We generally navigate to the hotel, then cancel navigation and route to the nearby Supercharger. That triggers pre-conditioning. Once we arrive at the Supercharger, we navigate to the hotel. It is in the 'recently found' list so that is very quick to do.

For example. I am not needing any nav to get me anywhere as a rule. Say I have had a super shift and would like to not have any range anxiety for the last few hours. The supercharger is right by the airport and I am at 25% with a job to take me there. It might take 15 or 20 minutes from getting the job sent to me to arriving at the SC.

What's my plan to be able to plug in nice and warm and have a 15 min suckle?

Ambient temp could be anywhere from 8°C running a little cabin heat, to sunny 28°C running a little A/C or instead wind the windows down if it would help.

For example. I am not needing any nav to get me anywhere as a rule. Say I have had a super shift and would like to not have any range anxiety for the last few hours. The supercharger is right by the airport and I am at 25% with a job to take me there. It might take 15 or 20 minutes from getting the job sent to me to arriving at the SC.

What's my plan to be able to plug in nice and warm and have a 15 min suckle?

Ambient temp could be anywhere from 8°C running a little cabin heat, to sunny 28°C running a little A/C or instead wind the windows down if it would help.
Only thing you can do is just start navigation when you’re heading to the supercharger to start warming it. HVAC settings won’t really make a difference.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H