Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-Conference BBQ, Thurs, 7/17

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on all this & disregarding the phone confirmation that the transformer could handle the load, I emailed PG&E engineering just to be on the safe side. They are evaluating and will get back to me within two days. That will give time to upgrade, if necessary. And if they get it wrong, I will have a name and email address.

That's good to here. I'm very curious to know what they say.

- - - Updated - - -

...maybe those concerned about power/charging can get together and rent a generator for the afternoon (...sort of like last year @ Teslive)...suboptimal.

It's more that I work for a company making distribution system management software for utilities, and one of the areas we focus on is extending the life of the equipment like the transformers, so I'm always thinking about these things and want to make sure that we have a good party. At worst case we'd just know how many cars we could plug in at once and just rotate throughout the evening.

Lots of good news. Just talked to the PG&E engineer. So he's going to stop by this week to confirm his records (and likely come to the party to see all the EVs), but here's what his records show: Currently a 2 bank transformer, 3 phase, will handle 45 kva - both chargers at my house will take at most 26 kva. And the most important point: there are only two addresses on this transformer (my house and a neighbor who is only here part of the year). And he also pointed out that with my large solar system, it will be taking the edge off.

I have his mobile phone number if there are ANY problems. He's mostly worried that between the charging and my a/c, could possibly throw my main breaker. Unlikely, but possible. But if that happens, we just shut off the a/c, reset, and carry on.

And like I said, he's coming by to confirm - and will likely come to the party.

-----

Another piece of good news: Even though we are in the 'no burn' season here, Placer County Fire District gave me permission today to have a 'reasonable' bonfire in the evening, if we just use common sense (ie, water nearby and a shovel).

S'mores anyone?

... Currently a 2 bank transformer, 3 phase, will handle 45 kva -... And... there are only two {RESIDENTIAL!!!!!} addresses on this transformer
WHOA! TWO houses...and you've got 3-phase?!?!?!?!?

Ooohh, have I got choice words for you. And they're not printable on a family forum.

WHOA! TWO houses...and you've got 3-phase?!?!?!?!?

Ooohh, have I got choice words for you. And they're not printable on a family forum.

I know you love me. :)

So my son just sent a gift for us for the party. A slack line!

What, you don't know what a slack line is? Here's a tutorial, so you can all get ready beforehand:

Last edited by a moderator:
(I just had the hot tub repair folks here. Of COURSE it went out right before the party. It's the heater element. Brianman would never forgive me if the tub was out of commission. I am assured it will be up and running tomorrow. :) )
Yah, I would, especially with BBQ in front of me. :)

Again, thanks for having us -- with or without hot tub or BBQ.

- - - Updated - - -

S'mores anyone?
Jeepers, bonnie. At the current rate, the only way you'll be able to top it next year is to make it a 2-day event.

Starting to wish my flight was a day earlier, so I could come to the BBQ!
Is it unprofessional if say "neener, neener" at this point?

- - - Updated - - -

S'mores really does put it over the top :).
Technically speaking, what's the earliest guests should consider arriving?
I want to get my quadcopter ready so I'll have footage of the EVs and the party and stuff ;-)

Lots of good news. Just talked to the PG&E engineer. So he's going to stop by this week to confirm his records (and likely come to the party to see all the EVs), but here's what his records show: Currently a 2 bank transformer, 3 phase, will handle 45 kva - both chargers at my house will take at most 26 kva. And the most important point: there are only two addresses on this transformer (my house and a neighbor who is only here part of the year). And he also pointed out that with my large solar system, it will be taking the edge off.

I have his mobile phone number if there are ANY problems. He's mostly worried that between the charging and my a/c, could possibly throw my main breaker. Unlikely, but possible. But if that happens, we just shut off the a/c, reset, and carry on.

And like I said, he's coming by to confirm - and will likely come to the party.
Don't worry, if things start looking bleak I can devise some charging algorithms to make sure we keep the power on and the cars charging.

Placer County Fire District gave me permission today to have a 'reasonable' bonfire in the evening, if we just use common sense (ie, water nearby and a shovel).
Um, you realize that Brianman is coming right ...?

Thanks for addressing my cautionary guidance so thoroughly, Bonnie.

Thanks for addressing my cautionary guidance so thoroughly, Bonnie.

If we still lose power, I figure now instead of everyone looking at me with a 'you should have checked' expression on their face, we can all look upon the PG&E engineer with pity when he shows up.

Thanks for sharing your stories of 'parties gone bad'. Though with both Rolo and brianman here, we likely will have other stories to tell.

Technically speaking, what's the earliest guests should consider arriving?
I want to get my quadcopter ready so I'll have footage of the EVs and the party and stuff ;-)

Oh YAY, I was hoping we'd get some aerial shots. It seems like everyone is volunteering to come early to help :). So while the invite says 4pm (bbq will start being served an hour or two after that), any time after 1pm is fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Jeepers, bonnie. At the current rate, the only way you'll be able to top it next year is to make it a 2-day event.

Next year, you're in charge of vendors and t-shirt design.