Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall+ inverter: can I choose kW size?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MarcG

Oct 29, 2014
San Francisco
Quick background: I have an existing solar system at home, no backup storage, but the SMA inverter is 15 years old so I’m looking to replace it soon.

Thinking about also adding battery storage, I saw Powerwall+ comes with a solar inverter:

From what I could tell, it’s the same inverter that is provided if one buys a solar system from Tesla, and the specs show an option for 3.8 or 7.6kW

Question for those in the know: if I order a Powerwall+, can I choose the 3.8 or 7.6kW inverter size? The order process didn’t seem to give me any such option.

Powerwall (2) is not = to "powerwall +". If someone is buying a powerwall without purchasing solar, they dont need the powerwall+. If you find out differently (that you can buy a powerwall + without solar) let us know.

Powerwall (2) is not = to "powerwall +". If someone is buying a powerwall without purchasing solar, they dont need the powerwall+. If you find out differently (that you can buy a powerwall + without solar) let us know.
In addition, Powerwall Direct program is just a direct shipping option, Tesla does not even install the Powerwall nor the Gateway, one has to find their own installer/contractor. So your earlier statement would also have been correct to say "Tesla only installs Powerwall with solar" full stop....

Powerwall with backup switch and no solar, or 3rd party AC coupled solar, would prefer the PW+ as the site controller even with no solar strings attached. Other solutions could work, but aren't likely to be as interesting due to various reasons.

If you have the backup gateway, then that becomes the site controller and you do not need the powerwall+.

In addition, Powerwall Direct program is just a direct shipping option, Tesla does not even install the Powerwall nor the Gateway, one has to find their own installer/contractor. So your earlier statement would also have been correct to say "Tesla only installs Powerwall with solar" full stop....
That is incorrect (at least for my location). A line item in the Powerwall Direct quote via Tesla's website is

Delivery & Installation​

Tesla will bring and install your Powerwalls on the same day
  1. $7,500 delivery & installation cost included in final payment
  2. Once you place your order, you can schedule your installation and complete your full payment in your Tesla account

Pricing​

Your System

3 Powerwalls
$22,500
Gateway
$1,000
Accessories
$200
Installation
$7,500
Tax
$1,872
Cash Price
$33,072
Potential Incentives

Federal Tax Credit (30%)
-$9,922
PECO Energy

Price After Potential Incentives
$23,150

This is regardless if I select I have existing solar or if I am expanding a current Powerwall system.

That is incorrect (at least for my location). A line item in the Powerwall Direct quote via Tesla's website is

Delivery & Installation​

Tesla will bring and install your Powerwalls on the same day
  1. $7,500 delivery & installation cost included in final payment
  2. Once you place your order, you can schedule your installation and complete your full payment in your Tesla account
[...]

This is regardless if I select I have existing solar or if I am expanding a current Powerwall system.

Oh wow, that is awesome, and I am happy to be corrected on this! When I checked the order page out right when it came out, there was no such option - the install price is certainly a few thousand higher than if they do it together with solar, but it's always good to have more choices, esp for those of us who already put in solar years before there were Powerwalls existing.

It seems the install pricing is even better if you already have Powerwalls, it's quoting a $0 price for delivery and installation. So existing Powerwall customers can basically readily bolt on another unit to expand capacity for just the list price of the Powerwall itself. It always seemed like it should be that simple, as the hard parts were already designing and wiring up the Gateways, any solar inverters, and panels, and there's nothing that would seem to be able to break code-wise by having more rather than less battery capacity...

I was looking to Tesla for Powerwall last year, but just didn't have good unshaded roof space for the min 4.8kw solar they were requiring, so didn't follow through. Still a bit pricey here for a la carte Powerwall given the higher install cost, but again good to have the option to consider.

It seems the install pricing is even better if you already have Powerwalls, it's quoting a $0 price for delivery and installation.

I wonder whats driving this... since it doesnt show that way for me. Here is what it shows for me, if I check that I have solar + powerwall already (so its a powerwall expansion):

Powerwall.png

I never compare the "After potential incentives" pricing because, even though I would qualify for that, I think about items in "what do I need to pay now" terms, and thats 9K, to add a powerwall.