Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall Home Battery - Hawaii

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
During today's shareholder meeting Elon talked about the Powerwall
They have received feedback concerning the Powerwall announcement and have adjusted accordingly. They have dramatically increased the power from
2 kw steady and 3.3kw peak to 5 kw steady and 7 kw peak and the price is unchanged at $3,500. That more than doubled the power. Furthermore they will be:
1. prioritizing delivery of Powerwall to people that have existing or are getting solar,
2. solar owners will not need to purchase another AC to DC inverter since your solar already has it, (you will not need to buy another),
3. prioritizing delivery to partners that minimize cost to the end user
Tesla Energy is expecting people to be able to purchase and install the Powerwall for $4,000 ($3500 for Powerwall and estimated installation $500).

I'm in. I want two to get off the grid completely. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

They have received feedback concerning the Powerwall announcement and have adjusted accordingly. They have dramatically increased the power from
2 kw steady and 3.3kw peak to 5 kw steady and 7 kw peak and the price is unchanged at $3,500. That more than doubled the power. Furthermore they will be:
1. prioritizing delivery of Powerwall to people that have existing or are getting solar,
2. solar owners will not need to purchase another AC to DC inverter since your solar already has it, (you will not need to buy another),
Tesla Energy is expecting people to be able to purchase and install the Powerwall for $4,000 ($3500 for Powerwall and estimated installation $500).

Nice. Thanks for the info on the conference call. That's incredible that they could basically double the power output and leave the price unchanged.
I wonder if those of us with Solar City (ME!!) will get an even better priority sequencing :smile:

Nice. Thanks for the info on the conference call. That's incredible that they could basically double the power output and leave the price unchanged.
I wonder if those of us with Solar City (ME!!) will get an even better priority sequencing :smile:

According to the conference, the priority is for those with existing solar panels or with solar panel installations. But probably priority will be given to Solar City customers as Solar City will likely be doing the installation.

According to the conference, the priority is for those with existing solar panels or with solar panel installations. But probably priority will be given to Solar City customers as Solar City will likely be doing the installation.

They have at least two partners here in Hawaii that are not part of the Solar City family. One is Hawaii Energy Connection (Kumu Kit) and RevoluSun

Interesting read on the economics of the Powerwall unit, at least from one person's (mainland) perspective. I haven't run the numbers yet myself for the payback scenario here in Hawaii, but I tend to agree with his overall point that the payback period may be longer than the expected life of the unit and certainly the warranty period. Another factor to consider is if the PUC approves HECOs at the end of June to re-price new NEM agreements at half of what they are now.

http://teslaliving.net/2015/05/01/teslas-powerwall-power-fail-energy-storage/

Interesting read on the economics of the Powerwall unit, at least from one person's (mainland) perspective. I haven't run the numbers yet myself for the payback scenario here in Hawaii, but I tend to agree with his overall point that the payback period may be longer than the expected life of the unit and certainly the warranty period. Another factor to consider is if the PUC approves HECOs at the end of June to re-price new NEM agreements at half of what they are now.

http://teslaliving.net/2015/05/01/teslas-powerwall-power-fail-energy-storage/

remember when they said that electric vehicles would never sell and remember a certain NY times reporter that proved you can't go on any long distance trips because there was nowhere to charge them?
the author took a simple point (financial return on investment) and went to extremes to prove his negative point.
here are some brief thoughts.
yes there will be a certain up front cost to purchase and install powerwall. it is up to the purchaser to determine whether the costs fit their desired outcome. (financial and otherwise)
0% dependence on fossil fuels.
100% independence from electrical company bureaucracy.
to live comfortably in remote areas that currently don't have an electrical infrastructure.
You can’t arbitrarily feed power back into the grid or your own electrical system without risk of overloading systems and killing people.
I agree, Killing people is bad. why not hire a Licensed electrician to do the installation. I am sure he knows how to do it without killing someone.
The generator, unlike the Powerwall, is mobile — you can take it camping, etc.
yes, having a generator is useful when camping. here's an idea, why not build your backup electrical system into the existing system. or better yet have adequate capacity to go off grid. and you can't run a generator while camping on Mars.(just had to throw that one in)
There’s a large market out there of lawn mowers, ATVs, snow mobiles, boats, etc. that could benefit from Tesla’s focus.
Yes, that is the best idea the author came up with. Tesla should make electric lawn mowers. errrr on second thought, NOT the greatest idea. When he is CEO of Tesla he can sell lawn mowers and watch the company die.

bottom line is that the powerwall is a new option for the consumer. it will work for some people but not all. it is up to the individual to decide if this product meets their needs and/or goals.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, the power output has increased (you can power more things at the same time) but the battery capacity remains unchanged? I need something that'll keep my house running for at least 2-3 days in case of continued inclement weather. Maybe I should just buy 3 of them and chain them together. :)

So if I'm understanding this correctly, the power output has increased (you can power more things at the same time) but the battery capacity remains unchanged? I need something that'll keep my house running for at least 2-3 days in case of continued inclement weather. Maybe I should just buy 3 of them and chain them together. :)

What are you trying to accomplish is you have a zero power bill?

Yes I believe that is correct: increased output rates but total capacity is unchanged. So if you want to be able to power your house for 3 days straight you will need multiple PowerWalls.

What are you trying to accomplish is you have a zero power bill?

I'm in with spleen. Its not only about zero electric bills to the utility - even if it costs us more than we will save to get there. We routinely have power outages that last half a day or sometimes a full day. Sometimes these are parts of the island and rare but has happened the entire island. Parts of our island still have power poles and power lines above ground. Its not uncommon for vehicle wrecks to take out these power poles/lines and we are without power for 3-9 hours. I usually go out to my garage, get in my MS and slept with the A/C turned on it power comes back up.

The last serious hurricane that hit us was 20+ years ago. We are overdue for another big one. The last hurricane hit the islands, the power was out on Kauai for two weeks in places. Longer in others. On Oahu some parts were without power for several days. Now with solar, and the addition of Powerwall, we can insulate ourselves from doing without when this happens. We can't fix the islands shortcomings, but we can look after ourselves.

spleen, here's a link to the stockholder's meeting. I recommend you advance down to 25:17 minutes where Elon starts talking about the Powerwall. That's the part that I covered in my post above here. But there's more at 40:40 you would like to hear about. During the Q&A, an owner asked more examples about using the both versions of the Powerwall. It lead to details from JB. Good info.

I was just speaking with a co-worker today. his friend has a 4-plex that he is renting out while working in Germany. I has solar. lots and lots of solar. they recently had to buy more AC units to use more of the excess Energy. when I said that someone living there should buy an EV to use the excess power being generated the answer was "They DO have an EV there and still have excess. if they got a powerwall they could go off grid.

I just was wondering has any one in Hawaii that reserved a powerwall, ever been contacted yet about it or the installation of it?

I reserved one through Tesla. I am waiting for one of their partners here to contact me to plan for installation. Today, I was down at the BIA Home Show talking to Solar City, KumuKit guys and Sun Revolusun - all Tesla partners. Each told me that the Powerwall is not yet being made. They are supposed to start in a couple of months. They didn't connect the dots, but that makes it sound like the Powerwall is going to be built at the gigafactory versus Fremont. Short version answer to your question is yes, and no. I want the off grid product, not the back up solution product. The local Solar City guys here today told me the Powerwall that will be shipping first is the back up solution, not the everyday charge off grid product.

Update:
I also should add. Revolusun has another product they are offering. Its called Sunverge (sunverge.com). The unit they had on site was in a steel cabinet about 6+ feet high and about 2'x2' wide/deep. This was an 8Kw system and cost is $24k and can has a 7,000 charge cycle over its lifetime with 10 year warranty. Certainly not the same flat wall mounted form factor as the Powerwall. Even if the power wall is 3Kw each and took three to match the output of the Sunverge unit, the Powerwall is about $3k less for 1Kw more.

Last edited: