Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

PowerWall and "The Missing Piece..." Event

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's mission is to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable transport. To do that, they need to not only provide sustainable vehicles, but ways to power those vehicles. So it fits with their mission.

Also, the announcement was for a new Product Line, not just product. Home Storage is part of their greater, new category of Stationary Storage.

Tesla's mission is to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable transport. To do that, they need to not only provide sustainable vehicles, but ways to power those vehicles. So it fits with their mission.

Also, the announcement was for a new Product Line, not just product. Home Storage is part of their greater, new category of Stationary Storage.

It only fits with that mission IF you can charge your car from your home storage unit. IMHO that would be a BIG announcement for TESLA.

The problem that I see with this is that it could cause people to abuse the use of Superchargers. If the power was out, many would try to use the Superchargers to recharge their car batteries and then power their homes. Software could probably be used to prevent or discourage this by tracking how the power was used (driving vs. power outage output).

Thanks for your thoughts Morrison.

As you say, they can limit SuperCharger use outside of it's intended purpose via software. Obviously, no perfect system to sort out intended purpose or not, but there would be options. Moreover, Tesla might be happy to help out and allow some such use... picture a situation like Hurricane Sandy, Tesla might be glad to have played a role in mitigating some very rough effects of extended power loss for some families (obviously, very small compared to the most difficult impacts of the storm, but for some families the difference of a week or so with or without power/heat would still be of value).

Charging from a home battery is certainly not the only way stationary storage would help facilitate renewable energy/transport. There are a number of ways it fits with the mission, that are probably covered earlier in this thread, and elsewhere on the site in similar discussions. A big one is storage can solve the intermittency problem of renewable energy sources like solar and wind. The storage doesn't have to be located at home, or even directly used in car charging to make an impact consistent with Tesla's mission. Commercial, industrial, and utility stationary storage will probably be much larger markets than home storage.

I'm sticking with my prediction of the Tesla Motorcycle. According to some sources, Elon has been looking at motorcycles and this would be a perfect fit into the product line. I think many Tesla owners would buy one to compliment their Model S or Roadster.
This is why I still think it's going to be a motorcycle announcement... sure I may be wrong but this Home Battery thing seems like a good idea but not a true Tesla product (more SolarCity than Tesla).
2015-04-16_16-30-35.jpg
2015-04-16_16-30-12.jpg
2015-04-16_16-30-49.jpg
2015-04-16_16-31-04.jpg

...and what could "BSA" stand for?

Anybody want to guess what the final product price per kWh will be on the smallest stationary unit will be, a complete unit, not an add-on module? As a reference point, the 10 kWh Demand Logic device was available for a ten-year lease for $1500 down and $15 per month. So that total payments came to $3300, or $330 per kWh, igoring discounting and residual value. Perhaps if they were to sell it outright it could come to $400. So I am thinking that Tesla may want to offer a purchase price of $375 per kWh.

Would this breakdown on a 20 kWh unit make sense?
$3500 20 kWh cells @ $175/kWh
$1000 bidirectional inverter
$ 500 case and computer controller
$2500 gross profit
==============
$7500 total
$375 per kWh

I am also expecting that the smallest unit may be bigger than 10kWh. This improves the per kWh cost of case, controller and inverter. It may be a more useful amount of backup and may deliver 10 kW power which may be more realistic than just 5 kW. I also wonder if add-on modules of 10 kWh without inverter or controller may be offered at $2500 per module.

So I'm guessing $375 per kWh in complete unit, and I'm curious what others may expect.

Anybody want to guess what the final product price per kWh will be on the smallest stationary unit will be, a complete unit, not an add-on module? As a reference point, the 10 kWh Demand Logic device was available for a ten-year lease for $1500 down and $15 per month. So that total payments came to $3300, or $330 per kWh, igoring discounting and residual value. Perhaps if they were to sell it outright it could come to $400. So I am thinking that Tesla may want to offer a purchase price of $375 per kWh.

Would this breakdown on a 20 kWh unit make sense?
$3500 20 kWh cells @ $175/kWh
$1000 bidirectional inverter
$ 500 case and computer controller
$2500 gross profit
==============
$7500 total
$375 per kWh

I am also expecting that the smallest unit may be bigger than 10kWh. This improves the per kWh cost of case, controller and inverter. It may be a more useful amount of backup and may deliver 10 kW power which may be more realistic than just 5 kW. I also wonder if add-on modules of 10 kWh without inverter or controller may be offered at $2500 per module.

So I'm guessing $375 per kWh in complete unit, and I'm curious what others may expect.

Is $175/kWh not somewhat optimistic at this time? Do we have any data points to suggest costs are really below 200 already? I find 33% GM very high also. Of course this would be wonderful but I prefer to be cautious.
My semi-conservative numbers would be $4500 20kWh cells @ $225/kWh with the other numbers being about right (I think $500 is probably an overestimate for case+controller, but let's stick with it). Where I disagree with you is that Tesla needs to offer the system at a lower price point than competition. It doesn't do so for its cars either, and we can be pretty certain that Tesla's product will have an edge on competitors in convenience features and clever technology (plus almost certainly some neat perks for Tesla car owners).

So let's say Tesla's sales price is also $400/kWh, so $8000 for a 20kWh system. With the numbers I suggested above, this gives $2000 gross profit for a 25% GM.

The possibility of the announcement including hooking Tesla vehicles up to the grid allowing to sell power back this way haven't been talked about a lot, but couldn't that be pretty big? Now I am not sure how much wear and tear this could do to the battery but I could imagine it would be far worth it in states like California with a high peak to off peak energy price discrepancy. Say you traded 50 kwh of power with the grid every day at a price difference of 15c per kwh (not sure if this is realistic, please correct me if you know better), that would be $7,5 of profit a day, or $2700 per year, pretty serious cash, it could potentially pay for a new battery in 8 years time. For this to be viable it would probably need some nice software to come with the system allowing you to decide how low the battery is allowed to go in capacity depending on your expected needs to use the car, an option to have it at a certain charge at a certain time when you expect to use it, stuff like that which I am sure would be easy for Tesla to configure.