Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PITA

Model 3 Performance
Sep 2, 2021
West Midlands, UK
Seems like Powerwall 3 is now available.

Sorry if this is old news, but I didn't know this.

Same capacity as Powerwall 2, but capable of 11.5kW discharge now. Can only have up to 4 linked together (not 10, like Powerwall 2)

Same capacity as Powerwall 2, but capable of 11.5kW discharge now. Can only have up to 4 linked together (not 10, like Powerwall 2)

Not in the U.K. yet and slightly questionable if it will be…

Max output for single phase grid connection like most homes is 3.68kWh and 11.08kWh for three phase, so it’s output is way higher than allowed on single phase unless they put some software restriction on it, which is possible as they already did that for Powerwall 2 to be downrated from 5kw to 3.68kw, but not sure how much benefit you’d actually get in the average home without spending ~£5k to upgrade your grid connection.

Max output for single phase grid connection like most homes is 3.68kWh and 11.08kWh for three phase, so it’s output is way higher than allowed on single phase unless they put some software restriction on it, which is possible as they already did that for Powerwall 2 to be downrated from 5kw to 3.68kw, but not sure how much benefit you’d actually get in the average home without spending ~£5k to upgrade your grid connection.
Where are you getting this data from?
This is the first I heard about a difference between single and three phases (three phase electricity is uncommon in the US).
Output on a single phase is whatever the house requires up to what the Powerwall can deliver, I think you may be conflating this with export limitations.

Where are you getting this data from?
This is the first I heard about a difference between single and three phases (three phase electricity is uncommon in the US).
Output on a single phase is whatever the house requires up to what the Powerwall can deliver, I think you may be conflating this with export limitations.
It depends entirely on where you are and the grid connection you have, but you need to get approval to go beyond the max exports stated above.
Previously discussed here and elsewhere on the forum and related got G59/G99 network generator rules in the U.K.

It depends entirely on where you are and the grid connection you have, but you need to get approval to go beyond the max exports stated above.
Previously discussed here and elsewhere on the forum and related got G59/G99 network generator rules in the U.K.
Yes, but that’s my point. You’re talking about exports, not about home use.
The PW3 will happily supply the home up to 11kW vs 5 on the PW2 (if I’m not mistaken)

Reactions: ringi
Yes, but that’s my point. You’re talking about exports, not about home use.
The PW3 will happily supply the home up to 11kW vs 5 on the PW2 (if I’m not mistaken)

Right, but the majority of people will be installing it with the capability of exporting energy, for load shifting, taking advantage of overnight charging at cheap rates and re-exporting at peak times in combination with any solar.

I’m pretty sure that any home battery connected via AC needs that approval anyway, it’s only DC batteries that connect on the solar side of the inverter that can escape the requirement if I recall correctly

An export of 16A (3.68kW) per phase is what everyone gets under G98 notification. With a G99 application, you can go all the way up to whatever your DNO allows for your particular circumstance. Where I live, in a fairly big housing development, they’re allowing 10kW export without breaking a sweat. Even if the DNO put a limit on your export, you can still be allowed to have an inverter with a higher output, as long as you don’t export more than what the DNO limit you to (G100).

So the PW3 with its 11kW output would still be perfectly usable in many situations, including in power outages.

Right, but the majority of people will be installing it with the capability of exporting energy, for load shifting, taking advantage of overnight charging at cheap rates and re-exporting at peak times in combination with any solar.
Indeed, although that is only a fairly recent development brought about by the very generous export rates afforded by Octopus (at the moment).
I dare say until 6 months ago there wouldn't have been that many people interested in exporting from their batteries (adding wear cycles to an expensive bit of equipment) for a pittance of profit (or actually no profit at all).

Just occurred to me that PW3 may finally bring some proper 3-phase support to the system with a whole-system backup, rather than just the one phase as is the case now. Not relevant to must of us, but you 3-phase snobs might want to look into that ;)

Reactions: PITA
The large number of PV contractors will make it a good option for properties that have roofs facing multiple directions/angles without needing any microinverters.

Otherwise a standard hybred invert with fogstar batteries will give a cheaper solution with much lower costs of adding additional capacity.

I am in the process of buying solar panels and two Powerwalls. Our advisor confirmed yesterday that they are changing out the Powerwall 2 + for the new Powerwall 3. They don’t look as nice and I don’t really know how much they are better in practice, but it sounds like an upgrade.

Reactions: boombap