Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powertrain Problem; ID 276; BSM: V_ESS Too Low During Precharge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the 1.5. Definitely going to dig into this issue and find out where the water intrusion lies and see if there's a fix.

Update: i let the roadster sit for two days in a warm garage to let the water evaporate and it's taking a charge! phew...

Reactions: DeedWest
I have the 1.5. Definitely going to dig into this issue and find out where the water intrusion lies and see if there's a fix.

Update: i let the roadster sit for two days in a warm garage to let the water evaporate and it's taking a charge! phew...

With the 1.5, this is what I was going to suggest. In intense humidity, it can throw these faults but just needs to sit for a day or two. This happened to my 1.5 after I drove through a storm in Texas and tried to charge in a humid parking garage. It didn’t take a charge until the morning.

If you can get it to turn on, a tip I learned was to put the vehicle in Drive, hold the brake, and accelerate lightly to push some amps (8-12A on the screen) through the motor and heat it up. This allowed me to charge.

since 1.5ers use part of the coil of the motor when charging (TZero patent) that makes sense. Otherwise it sounds much for trouble (moisture) in the DC/DC converter in the front.
One guy disassembled it and changed the faulty parts; can't find it back but I guess it was on the Facebook Roadster group...

I’m not sure that was ever brought to a successful conclusion. I remember him changing components, but then I thought he ended up having to replace the unit, but I don’t remember. It was a very descriptive post though