Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power trunk retrofit causing car awake

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i did a soft reset last night and came to a car this morning that was pretty much a hard reset. all driver profiles gone, settings reset, trip mileage all reset, seats, bluetooth, everything.

so i guess connect the plug before doing a software update?

Man I am so glad I found this thread. I've been having the exact same issues with my 2020 LR with the power trunk retrofit kit installed. Tesla has replaced the front left sensor (twice) and even the car's main computer once in an attempt to resolve the HVAC system not working reliably. Fortunately it was all under warranty -- especially since it didn't fully resolve the intermittent HVAC failures _or_ the phantom drain.

At my last service appointment (last week), they finally acknowledged that all of my issues are actually because of the trunk retrofit. They offered to disconnect the wiring harness for me but I opted to leave it connected since I knew that there was an imminent software update. Unfortunately, the update didn't resolve the issue but since @FastGTR was kind enough to post that pictorial walkthrough, I'll just go ahead and disconnect the harness myself now.

And I'll learn from @ParaAdBellum and make sure I've reconnected the harness before applying the next update.

So when that happened, the version was 2024.3.15. A bit later the car got another update, which said 2024.3.15, and after installation it said 2024.3.14 in the display, but TeslaMate/app are showing 2024.3.15

Car still doesn't sleep. Going to disconnect it again.
Updated to 2024.3.15 today as well. Can confirm it did not fix this issue. Error codes PCS_a022 and UI_a112 keep popping up when the car is parked. Car did not sleep. I have aftermarket dashcam installed and can hear from the parking mode footages the clunks of the contactor.

Can't remember where I saw it but someone said Tesla staff told them to wait for this to be resolved after the 2024.12 branch.

I used to think it was super cool that a car can get software update over wifi and gets better with time. Not anymore as inexplicable bugs like this pile up.

Reactions: Massive Attack
Updated to 2024.3.15 today as well. Can confirm it did not fix this issue. Error codes PCS_a022 and UI_a112 keep popping up when the car is parked. Car did not sleep. I have aftermarket dashcam installed and can hear from the parking mode footages the clunks of the contactor.

Can't remember where I saw it but someone said Tesla staff told them to wait for this to be resolved after the 2024.12 branch.

I used to think it was super cool that a car can get software update over wifi and gets better with time. Not anymore as inexplicable bugs like this pile up.
Kinda like a smart phone, right? I sure am glad I do not have to take my phone to the AT&T store every time a security update comes out!

While it does feel like these issues are unique to Tesla, I can assure you that it happens to other brands as well. Don't get me started on VW or Chevy, let alone Fisker or Lucid. I have a family member with a 2021 Range Rover Velar, and he had issues like we are facing multiple times. Including having to put his car in "limp mode" just to be able to slowly drive to the dealership.

Kinda like a smart phone, right? I sure am glad I do not have to take my phone to the AT&T store every time a security update comes out!

While it does feel like these issues are unique to Tesla, I can assure you that it happens to other brands as well. Don't get me started on VW or Chevy, let alone Fisker or Lucid. I have a family member with a 2021 Range Rover Velar, and he had issues like we are facing multiple times. Including having to put his car in "limp mode" just to be able to slowly drive to the dealership.
Good to know - glad Tesla is doing better than the rest! I just think the reliability and the traditional longer life cycle of a car, as opposed to a smart phone, inevitably get sacrificed, as software advances faster than hardware can keep up, creating lags and bad user experience, while the risk of software errors and the complexity of fixing those errors also increase.

I have not seen any other system(s) affected in the 5 weeks or so since I disconnected the 2 wire connector
Thank you for confirming that and easing my concern a bit. Disconnected it as well. So grateful for this thread, ending the alerts/nonsleep/phantom drain issue for now. Hopefully Tesla communicates something officially soon

Man I am so glad I found this thread. I've been having the exact same issues with my 2020 LR with the power trunk retrofit kit installed. Tesla has replaced the front left sensor (twice) and even the car's main computer once in an attempt to resolve the HVAC system not working reliably. Fortunately it was all under warranty -- especially since it didn't fully resolve the intermittent HVAC failures _or_ the phantom drain.

At my last service appointment (last week), they finally acknowledged that all of my issues are actually because of the trunk retrofit. They offered to disconnect the wiring harness for me but I opted to leave it connected since I knew that there was an imminent software update. Unfortunately, the update didn't resolve the issue but since @FastGTR was kind enough to post that pictorial walkthrough, I'll just go ahead and disconnect the harness myself now.

And I'll learn from @ParaAdBellum and make sure I've reconnected the harness before applying the next update.
Absolute insanity. Imagine this happened out of warranty and then they revealed after thousands and thousands in repairs that it was the retrofit.

Reactions: Massive Attack
I did not have any issue with upgrade to 2024.3.15 without connecting the canbus. They were left disconnected all the time.
I did not have any issues upgrading with the cable disconnected. Everything behaves the same after the update.

After reading this thread, I'm not even going to try reconnecting it, because it seems update didn't fixed it.
Starting to think that Tesla should recall the retrofit and get a better version out.

Reactions: szez42 and Electrph
After reading this thread, I'm not even going to try reconnecting it, because it seems update didn't fixed it.
Starting to think that Tesla should recall the retrofit and get a better version out.
I can't disagree with that sentiment at all. As excited as I was to get the "official" power trunk retrofit installed last fall, I've now come to really regret spending the money on it.

Add me to the list. Had trunk retrofit put in last summer, started seeing the occasional charging error over the past few weeks thought nothing of it then no HVAC yesterday. Unplugged the canbus cable and did a power off for about 15 minutes and have full HVAC back again. guess I’ll just leave it until I hear reports it’s been resolved

interesting turn of events. My trunk doesn't work at all now. Doesn't seem to be getting any power. used emergency latch to open from inside the trunk after crawling in through back seat. pulled trunk open and there's no light illuminating the button.

made a service appt.