Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Steering Grinding

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

Just picked up a 2016.5 60D with 75KWh pack just over six months ago and it's been a great car so far! The only thing I had to change so far is the 4-way coolant pump just under the 12v battery on the driver side so DIY has been really nice to work on and no grease like ICE vehicles. One thing that has come up is some "rock-grinding" sound in the power steering. Only when steering it feels like lubrication is just gone from the steering. I've unplugged the power steering motor just to see if it was that but the grinding sound is still there. It isn't the U-joint because the sound "moves" faster than just the steering wheel turning. So I'm thinking that somehow the bearings went out inside the steering rack but want to confirm with anyone here that hopefully is more knowledgable. I have a video I took with my phone with all the frunk pieces out of the car but unsure how to share it here. I'll share an image of the frunk bay...the power steering motor nuts have not come loose as I have read in one of the mega threads here.
IMG_0141.jpeg

So far not.....the car is just sitting in the garage until I can find a replacement used rack since Tesla wants to charge a silly amount of just a rack. I've got lots of other cars so it's luckily not an inconvenience but it sure is a light into what Tesla is doing to the DIY service market just as Apple has done!

Upvote 0
Hi guys, ‘exact’ same problem for me here in the UK on my 2017 model s with sub 50,000 miles.
It now sounds exactly like yours in the video.
I have booked a service appointment with Tesla and they want $200 just to look at it.
I think I’m going to cancel that and brace myself to put that money towards a new rack.
Hopefully someone on the forum can help save me as this sounds like the potential to be expensive.
J

Upvote 0