Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power sharing with TWC Gen 3 and Tesla J1772?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's going to be hundreds of thousands of J1772 cars roaming the roads, (Millions even?) and they will continue to be built for the next year or two. I think a J1772 wall connector is still a safe bet for the next 5 years... plenty of stuff out there that can use it.

Plus, are any PHEV cars switching to NACS? J1772 will be around for a loooong time.

Hi all, a bit confused by Tesla using the term ‘Power Sharing’. Gave me the impression I could connect a second Tesla Gen 3 Wall Connector to the existing 40amp circuit breaker and tell them they only had 32amps to share. It seems they actually want each Wall Connector to have its own 40amp(or 50 or 60) breaker and be told how much total amps they can pull from the home panel. Basically I have an older home and I don’t have room for another breaker. Would like to have my Model S and my wife’s Bolt both connected to a standard Tesla Wall Connector and a Tesla J1772 Wall Connector and have them figure out how to split up the available amps. Is this not possible on one breaker??? Sounds crazy but maybe a sub panel in the garage with two 40 amp breakers and set the wall connector to never pull more than 32amps? Thanks

Is this not possible on one breaker???
In theory you could do that, but it wouldn't be to code. (Since Tesla calls out that each Wall Connector needs its own breaker.

Sounds crazy but maybe a sub panel in the garage with two 40 amp breakers and set the wall connector to never pull more than 32amps? Thanks
Yep, a small sub-panel would do it.

Hi all, a bit confused by Tesla using the term ‘Power Sharing’. Gave me the impression I could connect a second Tesla Gen 3 Wall Connector to the existing 40amp circuit breaker and tell them they only had 32amps to share.
Yes, that's true.
It seems they actually want each Wall Connector to have its own 40amp(or 50 or 60) breaker and be told how much total amps they can pull from the home panel.
No, not true.
Would like to have my Model S and my wife’s Bolt both connected to a standard Tesla Wall Connector and a Tesla J1772 Wall Connector and have them figure out how to split up the available amps.
I think this does work, but I am not entirely sure if the J1772 version and Tesla plug version can directly be configured to share together. I think they can, but I'm not sure.
Sounds crazy but maybe a sub panel in the garage with two 40 amp breakers and set the wall connector to never pull more than 32amps? Thanks
Right--that's how the sharing works. You can run one single 40A circuit to the garage to a subpanel. And then you could put up to 6 wall connectors on it, and set them each for 40A circuits if you want, but also set in the configuration that the total of all units together can't exceed the amount of the parent 40A circuit.

Yes, that's true.

No, not true.

I think this does work, but I am not entirely sure if the J1772 version and Tesla plug version can directly be configured to share together. I think they can, but I'm not sure.

Right--that's how the sharing works. You can run one single 40A circuit to the garage to a subpanel. And then you could put up to 6 wall connectors on it, and set them each for 40A circuits if you want, but also set in the configuration that the total of all units together can't exceed the amount of the parent 40A circuit.
OK, sorry, trying not to be dense, looks like you are saying ‘Yes’ that it is OK to hook both wall connectors to one 40amp breaker in the main panel AND also say ‘right’ that it can have a sub panel in the garage running off the one 40amp with two 40amp breakers that the connectors share to pull no more than 40 amp(32 actually). Are you saying both options are acceptable? My electrician is looking at the manual and saying they both need to be on their own dedicated circuit breaker.

Hi all, a bit confused by Tesla using the term ‘Power Sharing’. Gave me the impression I could connect a second Tesla Gen 3 Wall Connector to the existing 40amp circuit breaker and tell them they only had 32amps to share. It seems they actually want each Wall Connector to have its own 40amp(or 50 or 60) breaker and be told how much total amps they can pull from the home panel. Basically I have an older home and I don’t have room for another breaker. Would like to have my Model S and my wife’s Bolt both connected to a standard Tesla Wall Connector and a Tesla J1772 Wall Connector and have them figure out how to split up the available amps. Is this not possible on one breaker??? Sounds crazy but maybe a sub panel in the garage with two 40 amp breakers and set the wall connector to never pull more than 32amps? Thanks
Per Tesla they have to be on seperate breakers. They will count as one load though for load calcs. Two options that come to mind are some tandem breakers (to make room for a second double pole breaker) or a sub panel.

I have two 60 amp breakers in my setup and 60 amps of allocation so its 120 amps of breakers but because the load will never exceed 60 amps it's one 60 amp load. Inspectors will write it up as software managed etc.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
OK, sorry, trying not to be dense, looks like you are saying ‘Yes’ that it is OK to hook both wall connectors to one 40amp breaker in the main panel AND also say ‘right’ that it can have a sub panel in the garage running off the one 40amp with two 40amp breakers that the connectors share to pull no more than 40 amp(32 actually). Are you saying both options are acceptable? My electrician is looking at the manual and saying they both need to be on their own dedicated circuit breaker.
They each need their own breaker, but they don't each need a dedicated circuit in the main panel. You could attach a small load center (with two 40a breakers) to the existing circuit near your current wall connector, then run wires from there to both of them. So they are both attached to the same 40a breaker in your main panel, but each also have their own breaker in the load center.

OK, sorry, trying not to be dense, looks like you are saying ‘Yes’ that it is OK to hook both wall connectors to one 40amp breaker in the main panel
Oh, I am sorry. I made a mistake in reading what you said. You did say "the existing circuit breaker". You can't just physically branch the power wires with like Y splitting from only one breaker.

What I was referring to is that you can use one single breaker in the main panel as the source supply line. That will then be the parent circuit that is going to be shared/split.

also say ‘right’ that it can have a sub panel in the garage running off the one 40amp with two 40amp breakers that the connectors share to pull no more than 40 amp(32 actually). Are you saying both options are acceptable?
Yes, that is the method it has to use, where it uses a subpanel to divide it out, with a breaker for each.

My electrician is looking at the manual and saying they both need to be on their own dedicated circuit breaker.
People get a little unclear on the meaning of that word "dedicated". It doesn't have to be completely separate runs all the way back to the main panel. The individual wall connectors join into a subpanel that is basically sharing the incoming feeder line into that subpanel.

So yes, as electric code defines it, because there is a breaker on each, that makes each one a separate "branch circuit" in the subpanel, so that's probably what the electrician is referring to.

Reactions: davewill