Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Folding Mirrors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well they raised the price $250 on the tech package as well--was $3500, now $3750, so they are charging for folding mirrors (which I wish I had!).

I called Tesla this morning at the phone number below (email was from my DS) and it's too late to change it for me. My car is already moving through the assembly line. That giant stamping machine is probably punching out my panels as we speak. In order to get them now I'd have to start all over and wait another 6 to 8 weeks. I promised a local car dealer they could have my Lexus next Friday and they are paying me top dollar for it ($4500.00 over what those ripoff bastiges over at "AutoNation" quoted me), so I don't want to ask them to wait that long. Truthfully, this has already been the longest 6 weeks of my life and I don't think I could start over anyway. I'll pay the premium to have them retrofitted if I decide I really need them later on. :crying:

If you have a car on order and you think you might want this feature, I'd suggest calling or emailing asap. It sounds like if your car is not currently moving through the line, it's doable. :)

Hello Barry,

I have just received direction on cars currently in production. You do have the option to add the mirrors for the an upgraded fee. You can do so by contacting sales at: [email protected] or call at 888 51 TESLA. Please be advised that this could affect your delivery date.

Last edited:
I called Tesla this morning at the phone number below (email was from my DS) and it's too late to change it for me. My car is already moving through the assembly line. That giant stamping machine is probably punching out my panels as we speak. In order to get them now I'd have to start all over and wait another 6 to 8 weeks. I promised a local car dealer they could have my Lexus next Friday and they are paying me top dollar for it ($4500.00 over what those ripoff bastiges over at "AutoNation" quoted me), so I don't want to ask them to wait that long. Truthfully, this has already been the longest 6 weeks of my life and I don't think I could start over anyway. I'll pay the premium to have them retrofitted if I decide I really need them later on. :crying:

If you have a car on order and you think you might want this feature, I'd suggest calling or emailing asap. It sounds like if your car is not currently moving through the line, it's doable. :)

Hang in there Barey--you're in the HOME stretch! I'm so exited for you!

They still stick out a fair amount, but for those with tight garages, it should save a few inches.

ui_option_tech_package_4_medium.jpg

A few inches can be very important in a real daily road situation.

I confirmed on 10/10 and after reading the site I called and got the power mirrors added to my build. I had a specific date in late December I asked for delivery so think since they are still sourcing parts its not an issue. I loved having these on my Mercedes and was kind of bummed the car was not factory with them. Can't wait to pick this car up at the factory!

Gave up on trying to get a hold of my DS, perhaps she was out sick or on vacation today, so just called the main line. They got it squared away with no trouble at all. I confirmed 10/1 and am scheduled for a 11/26 delivery at the factory, and they said it will not affect my delivery date.

Awesome!

Great news! Dashboard just flipped

In Production
The Tesla Factory is building your Model S

Less great news. I just spoke to HQ. Because my car is already being built adding mirrors would change delivery, possibly by a lot. They told me that the wiring isn't there and so they would need to do some significant re-work to get my car ready for them. That also means a retrofit is unlikely, or at least will be big deal expensive.
Oh well. As I've said, never had them so won't miss them. But great to see TM adding in these extras, they add a lot of luxury value to the cars.

Less great news. I just spoke to HQ. Because my car is already being built adding mirrors would change delivery, possibly by a lot. They told me that the wiring isn't there and so they would need to do some significant re-work to get my car ready for them. That also means a retrofit is unlikely, or at least will be big deal expensive.
Oh well. As I've said, never had them so won't miss them. But great to see TM adding in these extras, they add a lot of luxury value to the cars.
Sucks, sorry to hear that.

On the plus side, you're getting your car soon, whereas everyone who got the mirrors added has a wait ahead of them, so that should soften the blow.

Great news! Dashboard just flipped

Same here... Happy my car is on the way, but wish they'd prewired for this. Oh well, never had 'em so won't miss them. No way I'm waiting another 6 weeks. ;)

Its hard to tell from the picture but the door sticks out a fair bit below the mirror. No matter the mirror doesn't move in much it may be enough that the door is the widest part of the car.

I did compare the model S with my X5. The model S is actually wider. But with mirrors the X5 is wider. So the mirrors on the S dont stick out that much compared... So powerfolding is not a killer for me. Heated mirrors is on the other hand important. i hope that is standard...

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone know how much time it will take for the power folding mirrors be available also in Europe?

Asked and they say its possible to retrofit... Not sure why Europe dont get the new options... Sounds a bit like they earnings per car in Europe is good and hard to raise the price even more... Pushing in new options for free lowers profit... Not sure but a bit annoyed that we cannot get the better leather etc... We are used to european luxury cars over here... ;-) on the other hand will probably be happy with the car as is... ;-)

Oh, how I want power folding mirrors as I have to fold them in to fit in my garage and even on the passenger side! Here's to hoping for a retro fit during the 12.5K service!

Sounds like a retrofit will be available, at least according to what they told Hybris. I just hope they prewired for this and all they have to do is swap out the mirrors themselves and not the wire harness. That would end up being relatively cheap compared to say, retrofitting parking sensors which I heard costs about 6 GRAND.

Sounds like a retrofit will be available, at least according to what they told Hybris. I just hope they prewired for this and all they have to do is swap out the mirrors themselves and not the wire harness. That would end up being relatively cheap compared to say, retrofitting parking sensors which I heard costs about 6 GRAND.

What about matching the paint?