Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible Alternative to Aero wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How about these?

20100422151007_elitet.jpg

Center Line Wheels

I'd guess that brake cooling isn't a huge problem for those that use regen for the majority of their braking. One emergency event won't brake the thermal bank, as it were.

There's also an aerodynamic benefit in eliminating airflow through the wheel, but certainly if the disk was closer to the outer edge it would disturb the flow past the outside of the wheels less...and thats got to be more important than the airflow through the wheel.

Tooting my off topic horn, over the winter I'm going to experiment with making some molds of my 19's to lay up aero disks along the lines of those sheet metal brake dust shields. The big question is going to be whether I can get consistency out of a mold that contours in and out of the wheel 'spokes' to, in line with your comment, keep the outer surface relatively flush...

The middle two cars show the best because are convex and seem like they will disrupt the airflow the least--although they could use a cap for the centre part. The Mercedes one is concave which isn't as good, and the Maserati has too many holes.

The following was posted in this thread:

GetYourWheels - Avant Garde Wheels for the Tesla Model S! - Post #87

Aerodynamic wheels need not be ugly disc that remove all brake cooling. They just need to act like disc at higher speeds. No need for the aerodynamic disc effect driving to the corner store and back. /...
Very interesting! I know directional fan cooling wheels were popular in the past.
Unfortunately there aren't many aftermarket wheels out now with these designs other than the Tesla replica wheels that are already out and a few forged options.
Closest option I can think of is Vossens new limited edition VLE-1, however I dont believe these were designed to cool the brakes. [Images cropped for size... (My edit.)]

vossen_limited_edition_VLE-1.jpg

vossen_VLE-1_porsche.jpg
Since they're made by Vossen – and have "limited" in their name – they are probably not available for a relatively 'average' price...

And depending on their size they also appear to have a variable (customizable?) concave element to them which evidently isn't a good thing from an aero efficiency point of view...

- - - Updated - - -

Two more pics:

Vossen-VLE-1.jpg

vossen-vle-1-gloss-silver-right.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

In post #85 in that thread (GetYourWheels - Avant Garde Wheels for the Tesla Model S! - Post #85) Rob also posted these Volvo (conceptual?) wheels:

wheels-volvo-v40.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And here: http://static.technologicvehicles.com/news/1614/Volvo_V40%20(2).jpg

...is a high-def picture of a Volvo V40 with those actual wheels.