Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll for Model 3 owners: Vampire drain rates?

What average rate of vampire drain (in miles lost per 24 hours) are you observing on your Model 3?

• 0-1 miles

Votes: 14 12.0%
  • 2-3 miles

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • 4-5 miles

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • 6-7 miles

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • 8-9 miles

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • 10-12 miles

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • 13-15 miles

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • 16-19 miles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20+ miles

Votes: 6 5.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we don’t know how many miles it would have lost in 4 days if you’re werent being a helicopter parent to your car.

Oh please. Pinging it once a day is being a helicopter parent? It's not like he's got an app auto-pinging it every few minutes.

Losing 17 miles over 4 day means the car is wasting ~1 kWh per day. Pinging the car one time to check its state-of-charge isn't going to use anywhere near 1 kWh... it wouldn't need more than a few watt-hours for the actual purpose of waking up and transmitting the data.

And if Tesla's power management is so awful that pinging it one time keeps it awake for hours afterward, wasting energy for no productive purpose, then that's on Tesla, not the owner.

So to fully test this, to make sure my app then shut the problem (Bluetooth or even just constantly polling the car), I deleted the app of my phone last night and reinstalled it 24 hours later. I don’t use any API based apps either. Lost 20 miles in 24 hours. Temp has been around 75-85 degrees.

I’ve been losing 18-22 miles per day on average.

This problem, at least for me, has nothing to do with the app, my Bluetooth, or the car temperature. Something else is wrong, something else causes the car to wake up all the time and drain the battery very quickly.

Attachments

• FA6E6C48-8D30-4486-BB74-47A949125AFE.jpeg
    FA6E6C48-8D30-4486-BB74-47A949125AFE.jpeg
    132.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 9ECDD64F-39C4-4025-B1B9-594FFFEB09E2.jpeg
    9ECDD64F-39C4-4025-B1B9-594FFFEB09E2.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 58
So to fully test this, to make sure my app then shut the problem (Bluetooth or even just constantly polling the car), I deleted the app of my phone last night and reinstalled it 24 hours later. I don’t use any API based apps either. Lost 20 miles in 24 hours. Temp has been around 75-85 degrees.

This problem, at least for me, has nothing to do with the app, my Bluetooth, or the car temperature. Something else is wrong, something else causes the car to wake up all the time and drain the battery very quickly.
Yes, there is something else wrong. At this point, instead of self diagnosing, ask for the service center to take a look. Have them hold it overnight and see for themselves. Self diagnosing or asking the forum will unlikely surface anything since your experience seems to be a clear outlier (not saying there aren’t others, but yours seem extreme).

I know it must be frustrating and I would simply ask them to explain why this would be the case.

I am sorry about ur frustration
Do u remember the radio show click and clack
They would have recommend the same thing dhu1 stated.
I hope u get a resolve

They’ve had the car for over a week now. My AC compressor is bad, so waiting I parts to come in to replace it. I’ve had an ICE loaner, and they don’t know when the parts are coming in.

I asked service about this over a month ago, and again when I dropped it off last week, they keep saying “this is expected behavior, many other cars are like this, nothing we can do, you have to wait for firmware updates, that will fix it” :(

Don’t even know what to do anymore.... I keep telling them that I understand that the energy saving stuff is not completely done yet in firmware, but i clearly have a bigger problem, and they keep saying “this is expected, some engineers have this issue on their cars too, just have to wait, there is nothing we can do here”

I dropped it off for AC service last Thursday with 80 miles, and had a 45 minute discussion about my battery with the tech again (I’ve had a ticket about my battery for over a month), by Sunday I was down to 20, I had to drive in to the show room and plead with someone to go plug my car in so it doesn’t die by Monday morning!

Last edited:
Oh please. Pinging it once a day is being a helicopter parent? It's not like he's got an app auto-pinging it every few minutes.

Losing 17 miles over 4 day means the car is wasting ~1 kWh per day. Pinging the car one time to check its state-of-charge isn't going to use anywhere near 1 kWh... it wouldn't need more than a few watt-hours for the actual purpose of waking up and transmitting the data.

And if Tesla's power management is so awful that pinging it one time keeps it awake for hours afterward, wasting energy for no productive purpose, then that's on Tesla, not the owner.

i think some people need to get a reality check. Tesla's cars are complex machines where a computer monitors all functions and the battery 24/7 + checking the bluetooth and keeping in touch with TeslaHQ/server every second or so. 1 kwh per day means the car is using 41watt of energy which is roughly that of an inefficient laptop.

I'm afraid the only way around this would some tiny efficient mobile phone-like chipset which would take over when the main computer is switched off but that would probably be too expensive.

• Disagree
Reactions: israndy
i think some people need to get a reality check.
@Candleflame Do you own a Model 3? If so, how much drain are you getting?

Also we aren't arguing with how much energy all model 3s should lose. If Dell comes out with a laptop that last 2 hours before it dies, then you know what you are buying.... The issue comes when 10,000 laptops are sold, you see that 98% of them last for 2 hours, but yours lasts for 20 minutes, so you call support and tell them your problem and they say "oh this is expected sometimes, just live with it till it gets fixed eventually over the air, we don't know when that will be though.... there's nothing we can do for you right now."

So when i'm losing 20-22 miles of drain per day, instead of 2-3, something is very wrong, and being told to not worry about it is not ok.
Also, I don't have a charger in my building, so losing 140 miles to vampire drain per week instead of 14-21 miles is a HUGE problem. I understand energy savings will come later, I'm also ok with losing some battery drain... what I'm not ok with, is being so far off from the rest of the pack.

@Candleflame Do you own a Model 3? If so, how much drain are you getting?

Also we aren't arguing with how much energy all model 3s should lose. If Dell comes out with a laptop that last 2 hours before it dies, then you know what you are buying.... The issue comes when 10,000 laptops are sold, you see that 98% of them last for 2 hours, but yours lasts for 20 minutes, so you call support and tell them your problem and they say "oh this is expected sometimes, just live with it till it gets fixed eventually over the air, we don't know when that will be though.... there's nothing we can do for you right now."

So when i'm losing 20-22 miles of drain per day, instead of 2-3, something is very wrong, and being told to not worry about it is not ok.
Also, I don't have a charger in my building, so losing 140 miles to vampire drain per week instead of 14-21 miles is a HUGE problem. I understand energy savings will come later, I'm also ok with losing some battery drain... what I'm not ok with, is being so far off from the rest of the pack.

i gather that you are quite upset by your passive agressive response but i was talking about 1 kwh a day, not 5 kwh a day your car seems to use.

Reactions: dhrivnak
I have a special situation in which I am able to monitor the state of charge of both a Model 3 and a Roadster parked in same location for 3 weeks because my cars are on display in a special exhibit (The Future is Now) at the Simeone Automotive Museum in Philadelphia. So far 12 days have gone by so I have some preliminary data. I monitor at the same time each day, initially once per day, subsequently about every 2 days. I use Tesla app for Model 3 and OVMS for Roadster. They are indoors where the temp is 60-70 F.
  • The drain I am seeing from both cars is linear.
  • Roadster loses about 1.1 mile/day (0.62% of standard charge (90%) capacity)
  • Model 3 loses 3.95 miles/day (1.275% of 100% capacity)
Stay tuned, I will be posting more about both the museum and the battery drain in the near future. If I were to complete the poll I would select 3-4 miles/day (which isn't one of the choices).
Slide1.JPG

Last edited:
Reading through the various threads on vampire drain in Model 3s, it seems like there’s a wide variety in how much vampire drain different owners are observing. So I was hoping this poll could help clarify what ranges of vampire drain rates are most typical, as well as what are the worst/best cases.

I understand that each owner’s vampire drain rate may be something of a moving target, given that firmware changes are happening somewhat regularly. So I’d just suggest that owners focus on what they’ve observed over the past 2 weeks.

Thanks!

Drain in miles is less useful than drain percentage as a poll averaged across people. Each person's driving habits will influence the miles figure. They are both interesting data points but different. More aggressive drivers will naturally have higher drains in miles.

Drain in miles is less useful than drain percentage as a poll averaged across people. Each person's driving habits will influence the miles figure. They are both interesting data points but different. More aggressive drivers will naturally have higher drains in miles.
No they don’t. You’re under the mistaken assumption that the range displayed in miles has something to do with your driving habits. We’ve been through this here dozens of times. Rated range is the range on the EPA test cycle. It has. nothing to do with your driving habits. Miles and percent give the same info with different units.

No they don’t. You’re under the mistaken assumption that the range displayed in miles has something to do with your driving habits. We’ve been through this here dozens of times. Rated range is the range on the EPA test cycle. It has. nothing to do with your driving habits. Miles and percent give the same info with different units.

If you've been here dozens of times and it's conclusive please link me to the thread evidencing this. You assume new owners would have participated in such discussions. Your assertion runs counter to logic and accuracy of range estimates as batteries age even regardless of driving habits.

Edit: Also I'll further say energy loss is more interesting than percentage or range.

If you've been here dozens of times and it's conclusive please link me to the thread evidencing this. You assume new owners would have participated in such discussions. Your assertion runs counter to logic and accuracy of range estimates as batteries age even regardless of driving habits.

How childish can you be?

Why don't you take 5 minutes to do some searches instead of demanding someone else do it for you?

• Disagree
Reactions: Tezlanian
How childish can you be?

Why don't you take 5 minutes to do some searches instead of demanding someone else do it for you?

How ad hominem can both of you be? This is getting slightly disturbing.

There is a lot of noise around this subject search wise. If there is clear evidence of this, which is claimed, one should be able to separate wheat from chaff trivially to assist community members. Or at least point them in the right direction. Neither of you are currently being good community members with your attacks.

If you next reply is another attack I'm leaving it there. If you provide actual useful information I appreciate your assistance.