Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PMAC vs induction motor for model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting find. Toyota's own brochure lists permanent magnet AC motor. EPA document is technically correct. Still an AC motor, just omits the permanent magnet part.

https://www.toyota.com/priusprime/ebrochure

Screen Shot 2017-08-11 at 11.32.33 AM.png

Serious question, what is the purpose of this thread? I'm assuming it's to gather evidence against the EPA documentation listing the Model 3 having a permanent magnet AC motor. Is this correct?
That is overstated, but the right idea.

The thread really just points out an EPA CSI motor designation error. So I don't think it moves the needle much in deciding whether the Model 3 has a PMAC. It does however suggest that the CSI should not be taken as gospel.

I should have written 'PROOF' like this

-----
Now, one last time, just for you: the PMAC in the Prime does not use induction. I don't know enough physics and engineering to state categorically that a PMAC can never use induction but you are on pretty solid ground for now if you realize that in PMAC the magnetic field is a result of the magnets and in an AC induction motor the magnetic fields result from induction.

Last edited:
That is overstated, but the right idea.

The thread really just points out another EPA CSI error. So I don't think it moves the needle much in deciding whether the Model 3 has a PMAC. It does however suggest that the CSI should not be taken as gospel.

I should have written 'PROOF' like this

-----
Now, one last time, just for you: the PMAC in the Prime does not use induction.

If the prime doesn't rely on AC induction, what does it rely on? (besides shocking the hamster)

I agree those EPA documents are littered with typos and other errors, but they are the official documents of the freaking EPA.

Back to the topic at hand. There are some advantages to using a PMAC, but the drawbacks have generally been relying on the availability and pricing of rare earth metals. Someone in the Electrek article referenced this link. If Tesla was able to bring down costs on other components of the motor, maybe it justified going to a PMAC design architecture. Or maybe they secured reasonable pricing on the permanent magnets.

Reactions: JeffnReno
If the prime doesn't rely on AC induction, what does it rely on?
For a magnetic field ? The magnets
Induction motors do not have magnets, at least not in the current iterations of motor technology .

I get the feeling you do not understand what AC induction implies. It is not to generate AC, it is to use AC to generate magnetic fields.

There are more disadvantages to PM motors than just worrying about the Chinese. I recommend that you read the blog posts at Tesla.com for great insight.