Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please get an electric car!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with your sentiment...but let's remember that there is smoke coming out of a smokestack somewhere to enable your Tesla to charge. It's less visible to you, and cleaner than a diesel engine most likely. But it's there.

Not really in my case. Apart from my own 3.3kW solar array on my roof, the grid here in Ontario has no coal and very little (~5% as of my writing) gas fired generation. Majority is nuclear and hydro-power with 3rd largest component being wind. You can see the live (hourly) report of the current mix here:
Gridwatch | Web App

CO2e INTENSITY: 22 g/kWh
That is a tiny fragment of what comes out of a diesel tailpipe.

The last coal power-plant in Ontario has been decommissioned over a year ago and replaced by renewable generation (wind and solar) using FIT installations such as mine.

Last edited:
generally, developed countries source their energy from nat gas or cleaner sources. it's the developing countries that are the problem.

The respect for the environment can be seen also in little things like the tailpipe of your car. If all of us made a little bit more for the environment the situation of the Earth could get better IMHO.

you can do that without the dripping self-righteousness or condescencion that seems so common or trendy in certain EV circles :)

http://tkm.sebe2013.eu/index.php?title=National_Legal_Environment_Italy&oldid=58668#ENERGY_SECTOR

Electricity sector in Italy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Italy uses a lot of natural gas, and has a good chunk of hydro and solar . In 2009 coal was only 12%. With decent insolation, particularly in Sardinia, Sicily and Southern Italy, they have good prospects of increasing solar from the current 3%.

Also, in Italy, there is quite a bit of use of CNG, with market share of new vehicle sales at 5.3% in 2014. So an alternative would be "Please buy a CNG car!"

In fact I already have a Mercedes SLK CNG. Hope that one day I will manage to get an electric car.

- - - Updated - - -

you can do that without the dripping self-righteousness or condescencion that seems so common or trendy in certain EV circles :)

Maybe that you got a wrong idea of me for my passion for the Climate Change issue or maybe it's because (as an American friend of mine said) I am opinionated. Sorry it's not my fault if I strongly believe in my ideas.

Anyway I think that people have not realized the gravity of the Climate Change issue and I am afraid that in 2050 our sons will read the threads of TMC and will say: "Raffy was right!"

This graph is interesting... it shows the CO[SUB]2[/SUB] emissions of electric generation in many countries. Given we know the Wh/km of our cars we can compute the carbon costs of driving our Teslas in various regions of the world. From my calculations in some places it is barely break even compared to a gas car, and maybe not break even compared to a very efficient gas car. Not to say that is true everywhere, far from it.

2015-03-04-green-graph.jpg

Source of the graph.

http://www.news.utoronto.ca/going-green-eco-alternatives-could-do-more-harm-good-it-depends-where-you-live

This graph is interesting... it shows the CO[SUB]2[/SUB] emissions of electric generation in many countries. Given we know the Wh/km of our cars we can compute the carbon costs of driving our Teslas in various regions of the world. From my calculations in some places it is barely break even compared to a gas car, and maybe not break even compared to a very efficient gas car. Not to say that is true everywhere, far from it.

View attachment 76281

Source of the graph.

http://www.news.utoronto.ca/going-green-eco-alternatives-could-do-more-harm-good-it-depends-where-you-live

Why would you compare a Model S to a very efficient (and likely quite a bit smaller) ICE car?

:mad:Those goddamn norwegians, always have to go and do everything better than everyone else...

;) :D

Yeah well, their hydro percentage is officially only about 50%. (Because they sell credits to other countries).
And their percentage will probably fall (Because they're adding more native wind, and because they are adding/added a 500MW HVDC line to Germany, and now a 1500MW line to the UK, which will mean more balancing of wind).
And with their plentiful oil and gas they should be driving around in huge guzzlers, like Americans did, but, nøøøøøøøøø, they insist on taxing guzzlers and driving around in small gassers and electric cars.

As if gasoline came out of the pump LOL Tesla posted on Facebook that the Model S needs only as much energy as is needed to refine oil to gasoline. The fact we are fighting global wars over oil, the massive environmental impact of drilling oil around the globe. The oil based dependency on countries that we really shouldn't deal with in the first place. The huge amount of money we are giving them. I could go on an on. Everything that happens just to get the oil to where we live and into the gas stations is already so bad that we should be looking for alternatives much faster and harder. Producing your energy local, even if it isn't perfectly clean, is still so much better in so many ways.

It is much more efficient to have one large generator/turbine that is made for high efficiency than trying to fit a small engine into a moving vehicle that requires a large dynamic range of power output. It can never be as efficient. Electricity can be generated from a variety of sources. Many are more environmentally friendly than burning gasoline.

But it's not just the smoke. Think about the noise. Especially here in the USA there is an unbelievable amount of people that think making a lot of noise when they drive is awesome. Living next to a busy road is considered terrible because of the constant noise. Make them all electric and the noise is reduced significantly.

I hate when people point out the EV isn't the perfect solution because it's not 100% eco-friendly. So what's the argument here? Because there is no perfect solution (as if there ever was a 'perfect' one), let's just stick to the 120 year old stone age technology of creating a bunch of little explosions to move? Since when was being better but not perfect an argument to keep a really bad solution in place?

I thought that Australia was developed, but I am ok with you implying otherwise:wink:

wait, it is?

lol ;)

(PS: i was referring to electricity generation)

Anyway I think that people have not realized the gravity of the Climate Change issue and I am afraid that in 2050 our sons will read the threads of TMC and will say: "Raffy was right!"

speaking of being environmentalist....

:)

As if gasoline came out of the pump LOL Tesla posted on Facebook that the Model S needs only as much energy as is needed to refine oil to gasoline. The fact we are fighting global wars over oil, the massive environmental impact of drilling oil around the globe. The oil based dependency on countries that we really shouldn't deal with in the first place. The huge amount of money we are giving them. I could go on an on. Everything that happens just to get the oil to where we live and into the gas stations is already so bad that we should be looking for alternatives much faster and harder. Producing your energy local, even if it isn't perfectly clean, is still so much better in so many ways.

It is much more efficient to have one large generator/turbine that is made for high efficiency than trying to fit a small engine into a moving vehicle that requires a large dynamic range of power output. It can never be as efficient. Electricity can be generated from a variety of sources. Many are more environmentally friendly than burning gasoline.

But it's not just the smoke. Think about the noise. Especially here in the USA there is an unbelievable amount of people that think making a lot of noise when they drive is awesome. Living next to a busy road is considered terrible because of the constant noise. Make them all electric and the noise is reduced significantly.

I hate when people point out the EV isn't the perfect solution because it's not 100% eco-friendly. So what's the argument here? Because there is no perfect solution (as if there ever was a 'perfect' one), let's just stick to the 120 year old stone age technology of creating a bunch of little explosions to move? Since when was being better but not perfect an argument to keep a really bad solution in place?

+ 1

^wow i totally didnt realize that. thats...pretty China like.

North Am, and W.Europe are mostly good with sourcing cleaner natgas or renewables for electricity. I wonder if NZ is that bad?

Australia is ahead of China (in a bad way), only India is ahead of us. India has some other pressing problems to solve, so can be excused. We are without excuses here in Oz. :redface:

It is mainly a legacy issue. Coal plants are there, generating cheap electricity and are difficult to displace. Government is promoting renewables with various subsidies but it is a slow process.

New Zealand:

NZ.JPG

Wanna be:wink:

Judging by these graphs, we have a long long way to go.

Black coal is the main source of electricity. :redface::crying::cursing:
View attachment 76333
We need Solar City in Australia. Plenty of sun, not enough panels.

We used to have Ingenero, which was a local clone of Solar City's business model. But my understanding is that between various state governments reneging on incentive commitments, and an inability to get commercial underwriting for power purchase agreements (where basically you lease your rooftop to the company and they get a loan to install solar, then sell you the electricity at a discount), they just didn't make it.