Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plano to Austin - day trip ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All right then. It was easy peasy. I charged to 90% at home and drove at 75 mph where ever possible and plugged in at Waco SC. Plugged in for about 35 minutes (I guess) from 52% to 96% and charged it to 244 miles. Didn't wait to get another 10 miles to 100% for another I guess 10 minutes. I knew I had enough buffer.

From Waco to Austin and back to Waco was around 210 miles round trip and driving at 70 mph and 65 at construction zones, I consumed only 215 miles with 12% left which I thought was amazing. I didn't expect I would get almost that close to rated range given the speeds. I guess the conditions were perfect - 70F, light 10 mph wind and I think slower speeds of 65 mph for nearly 100 miles (50 miles each way) of construction zones, helped. Another day things might be different but again a straight day trip with no Austin local driving in the mix should be fairly easy.

Plugged in again at CSB and it charged from 12% to 80% in about 35 mins before I could finish my sandwich, coffee and bio break. With 200+ miles in the battery, that is more than enough to get back home.

View attachment 111425
When going on a trip there is no reason not to charge to 100% at home before you leave.

Okay my 2nd trip from Plano to Austin and back had more drama than I bargained for. As luck would have it, my wife was with me too, her first time on a long trip on a Tesla. Here is what happened:

- from my home in Plano to Waco SC no issues.

- Charged to 240 miles at Waco SC for the 208 mile round trip to Austin and back to Waco SC. I figured 240 should give me enough buffer for me to do the 208 mile round trip.

- But then I hit a construction traffic jam crawling 2-4 miles an hour - yes walking speed. To cross that 3 miles stretch it took us over an hour. With the temps in 103F, with AC in full blast, I noticed that our consumption was hitting 450+ whr. We reached Austin with 115 miles remaining at an average rate of 385 Whr. I noticed that in my daily commute cruising at 70, I typically can get close to 300 whr, but in this stretch it consistently stayed above 400.

- with 104 miles to get back to Waco and with only 115 miles as rated range, it was decision time.
  • With no Chademo adapter and no J1772 adapter either (I left it at home), local charging is completely ruled out.
  • One option is to drive further south (opposite to my intended direction) for 25 miles to San Marcos SC to get the charge. That will add another 90 minutes extra to my trip. (50 miles extra driving and 50 miles extra charging needed). The Tesla routing was telling me to do just that.
  • The other option is to take our chance, bring in all of my hyper-miling techniques I had learnt over the years and beat the rated range and do it.
We chose the last option. Drove for 50 miles with no AC at 100F+ weather and drafting trucks. My consumption was a very healthy 250 Whr. And my buffer was climbing to a healthy 20 miles with 50 more miles to go. So I drove the rest of the way at 70 mph with AC full blast and reached Waco SC with 15 miles remaining.​

Partly I blame myself for not charging to 100% and that would have given an additional 15 miles, but then the real issue here is although 250 miles is good for most of your road trips over 200 miles, it does make it difficult on those edge days. The fact that it was 100F+ itself is not an issue, but getting stuck in traffic for over an hour pushed it over the edge. Hot days don't bother me as much, and I can - when push comes to shove - drive without AC to conserve some power. But had this been a cold day, there is no way I can drive freezing. Just need a few more Superchargers. SC density needs to double.

Had some nice sandwiches and free coffee at CSB both up and down stops.

Over all the stops at the SC was a total of around 90 minutes (together both up and down). I am guessing that was 30 minutes more than my usual gas trips. While the extra time itself is not a big deal, it does makes it less convenient on where you want to take a break. Ideally I would have preferred to drive all the way to Austin and take a break while I am there, doing whatever that is.

You're a braver man than I.

I would never go to Austin from DFW without a Chademo adapter or J1772 adapter/UMC, particularly when carrying "the boss of me", who would not be impressed with any potential or perceived planning fails.

Suppose you could have used plugshare HPWC/UMC or hit the Domain/Tesla store HPWC for a top up insurance rather than bake & draft to Waco. Running out of fuel along 35 in the summer would not be fun.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: vrykolas
Ha.. how did I forget Austin Tesla Service center ?! They would have helped me out of the jam and all I needed was perhaps around 25 miles of extra range to reach Waco comfortably.

In any case while 85 kWh battery seems just about sufficient on these trips, I am not sure if I would venture out with a 60 or 70 even. In the end, range is king. Every dollar should to be used to get the maximum range and the other options (Pano, Air, Premium sound, ...) are over and above - IMHO

Last edited by a moderator:
There are lots of HPWCs in Austin which you could have used. Did you look at Plugshare or the Tesla destination charging map? And how do you leave a J1772 adapter at home? Doesn't it live in your glove compartment?

No, 240 miles range is not enough buffer for a 208 mile round trip if you don't have a plan B for when something goes wrong.

I think this trip would have been fine in a 60 or 70 with a brief charging stop planned in the Austin area. But a day trip is always on a tight schedule.

I agree I35 is a nightmare for unexpected traffic (accident or construction).

yes, range is king if $$ allow.

Btw - Rudy's BBQ in Round Rock has an HPWC.

I need to remember these @ Rudy's - pretty convenient if you aren't on the side of town with the Domain Tesla store (or chademo equipped).

Plugshare comments says they are on the puny side as far as amps/mph, but probably still tolerable when topping off the stop time with BBQ.

and that Rudy's on I35 & 3406 has two Tesla plugs with two J1772 so is really convenient.
Not just BBQ either, there is a Cracker Barrel across the road, next to a Chuy's plus all the other eateries in that area.
All bad for diets though.

If you really want somewhere good the Jack Allen's grill right around the corner is delicious. I used to live off of 1431 in Round Rock and have been there a bunch.