Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Vibration around 38-42MPH....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally dragged my sick, useless ass out of the house for the first time since Tuesday (omg there's an outside world!) and got to test out 2023.44.30.5.1 (needs more decimal places), and I have some thoughts, after a half hour drive between 20mph and 60mph, with focus on 35-55mph, to cover and then some - the usual vibration speeds.

My thoughts?

1.) I really like that the volume bar got shrunk and no longer occludes navigation completely like it used to. That said, it got made reaaaaaaally small. I feel like there's surely something in between?

View attachment 1004232

Come on, William. Focus.

Alright, alright...

2.) The bit you've been waiting for: The Vibration. El Vibrato.

Well, @jebinc sure isn't going to feel any better when I say any of this (sorry, buddy). What's interesting about cars, and especially ICE engine feel (historically, at least) is that an enthusiast gets used to the way the vehicle drives and feels, so much so that when something changes you have a bit of an :oops: when it happens. With electric cars, their motors don't really have a feel, but... the Model S Plaid does.

For a recap:

When I got the car, from day 1, in Low suspension the vibration was bad between 37mph and 50-ish, but Medium was "okay" - not too bad. Bizarrely, over time (next 1000 miles or so, as a guess), this reversed itself, - Medium became awful, and Low became better that it used to be. Over a bit more time, it became Low is awful, and Medium more awful. Not great. This led me to, with @jebinc's help (well, he did 99% of the work), install some N2itive lowering links on the front of the car, - just a tiny drop, which did help a little initially with the vibration, but over time it's kinda gotten more meh - worse for sure. I left the links on the front, but it was questionable as to how much they're doing for my car till this point in time.

Now, for those that know, this vibration can actually be heard if you know what you're listening for. It's a sort-of resonance in the cabin. You won't notice it with windows down or with music blasting, but on those quieter asphalt roads, at ~37-50mph or thereabouts, you can feel it, especially if going up a hill and maintaining that speed, - more load on those motors. No ignorant-of-vibration passenger has ever pointed this resonance out (or the vibration at all), but I can notice it, from the driver's or passenger's seat. At times I can feel the resonance through the center console, too. It's just... not right.

Enter 2023.44.30.5.1.

Please bear in mind these thoughts are based on a single half hour drive, but boy was this half hour drive unlike anything I've experienced with my car since day 1, July, 2023. Not only is the vibration 97% (more on this later) gone, but the car actually drives a little smoother in terms of motor resonance even in the mid-to-high 20s. Maybe someone can pop some numbers up for what the motors are doing differently at those speeds pre/post software upgrade, but the difference is obvious. It's hugely smoother. Then as we head toward those trouble numbers in the high 30s and throughout the 40s, the car sounds different in the cabin. Gone is that resonance, - and it's a world of difference. It is possible to induce the tiniest bit of vibration if trying to, by bouncing through those ranges in unnatural ways (more testing needed), but for regular driving? Wow. What a difference. As others have said here, if you didn't know there had been a vibration, you wouldn't think anything was awry.

So, I realized I was in Low suspension when doing most of my testing, so I gingerly switched it to Medium, which was pretty much unusable before. And no problems! I could not tell any difference between Low and Medium suspension settings, so I can finally put the car back into the Medium setting for daily driving and worry less about speed bumps or potholes.

So overall, is this a 100% fix for the issue? No, - I think Tesla is fudging motor load to fix the issue (as Track Mode/Rear bias already proved). Do I think this should satisfy most people? Well, I trust @jebinc and his findings with his car were not positive with this update, so I need to check out his car and see, - and I know if he believes he still has issues, he does. He's about as picky as I am (not an endearing trait, let me tell you! 😅). But for the rest of us? More than likely this will make you very happy.

For me, based on that half hour drive, I'm in heaven. It's such a night/day difference in the regular trouble spot of 37-50, while also smoothing out the drivetrain at even lower speeds, - it becomes much more reminiscent of my old Model 3 Performance which was so smooth. I'll update if anything should change on subsequent drives, but right now I'm pleased as punch.

Alright, back to bed and being sick. Enough excitement for one night.
I had similar results as you a few days back, but today, the vibes are back slightly.

Although any two points can make a straight line, not too encouraging.

I'm gonna keep it in chill mode and hope for the best for the next 2.5 years .

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG and jebinc
I had similar results as you a few days back, but today, the vibes are back slightly.

Exactly. We have all had days/drives, prior to .44, largely vibration free - and others days where is sucks @$$, mightily.

We all can agree, that the phenomenon is highly variable - save for when (in Track mode) you can easily command it to cease, with the simple slide of the handling radio button to the right.

Only time will tell if this is a fix, partial fix, or placebo. And, if not the latter, what years and models are positively affected. Cheerio.

Reactions: aerodyne

lol chill mode. 😂 We will see, indeed. All I know is I’ve never had such vibration free since the day I got my car. So, I’ll take any improvement. Time will tell if it stays this way.

Reactions: Yelobird
I finally dragged my sick, useless ass out of the house for the first time since Tuesday (omg there's an outside world!) and got to test out 2023.44.30.5.1 (needs more decimal places), and I have some thoughts, after a half hour drive between 20mph and 60mph, with focus on 35-55mph, to cover and then some - the usual vibration speeds.

My thoughts?

1.) I really like that the volume bar got shrunk and no longer occludes navigation completely like it used to. That said, it got made reaaaaaaally small. I feel like there's surely something in between?

View attachment 1004232

Come on, William. Focus.

Alright, alright...

2.) The bit you've been waiting for: The Vibration. El Vibrato.

Well, @jebinc sure isn't going to feel any better when I say any of this (sorry, buddy). What's interesting about cars, and especially ICE engine feel (historically, at least) is that an enthusiast gets used to the way the vehicle drives and feels, so much so that when something changes you have a bit of an :oops: when it happens. With electric cars, their motors don't really have a feel, but... the Model S Plaid does.

For a recap:

When I got the car, from day 1, in Low suspension the vibration was bad between 37mph and 50-ish, but Medium was "okay" - not too bad. Bizarrely, over time (next 1000 miles or so, as a guess), this reversed itself, - Medium became awful, and Low became better that it used to be. Over a bit more time, it became Low is awful, and Medium more awful. Not great. This led me to, with @jebinc's help (well, he did 99% of the work), install some N2itive lowering links on the front of the car, - just a tiny drop, which did help a little initially with the vibration, but over time it's kinda gotten more meh - worse for sure. I left the links on the front, but it was questionable as to how much they're doing for my car till this point in time.

Now, for those that know, this vibration can actually be heard if you know what you're listening for. It's a sort-of resonance in the cabin. You won't notice it with windows down or with music blasting, but on those quieter asphalt roads, at ~37-50mph or thereabouts, you can feel it, especially if going up a hill and maintaining that speed, - more load on those motors. No ignorant-of-vibration passenger has ever pointed this resonance out (or the vibration at all), but I can notice it, from the driver's or passenger's seat. At times I can feel the resonance through the center console, too. It's just... not right.

Enter 2023.44.30.5.1.

Please bear in mind these thoughts are based on a single half hour drive, but boy was this half hour drive unlike anything I've experienced with my car since day 1, July, 2023. Not only is the vibration 97% (more on this later) gone, but the car actually drives a little smoother in terms of motor resonance even in the mid-to-high 20s. Maybe someone can pop some numbers up for what the motors are doing differently at those speeds pre/post software upgrade, but the difference is obvious. It's hugely smoother. Then as we head toward those trouble numbers in the high 30s and throughout the 40s, the car sounds different in the cabin. Gone is that resonance, - and it's a world of difference. It is possible to induce the tiniest bit of vibration if trying to, by bouncing through those ranges in unnatural ways (more testing needed), but for regular driving? Wow. What a difference. As others have said here, if you didn't know there had been a vibration, you wouldn't think anything was awry.

So, I realized I was in Low suspension when doing most of my testing, so I gingerly switched it to Medium, which was pretty much unusable before. And no problems! I could not tell any difference between Low and Medium suspension settings, so I can finally put the car back into the Medium setting for daily driving and worry less about speed bumps or potholes.

So overall, is this a 100% fix for the issue? No, - I think Tesla is fudging motor load to fix the issue (as Track Mode/Rear bias already proved). Do I think this should satisfy most people? Well, I trust @jebinc and his findings with his car were not positive with this update, so I need to check out his car and see, - and I know if he believes he still has issues, he does. He's about as picky as I am (not an endearing trait, let me tell you! 😅). But for the rest of us? More than likely this will make you very happy.

For me, based on that half hour drive, I'm in heaven. It's such a night/day difference in the regular trouble spot of 37-50, while also smoothing out the drivetrain at even lower speeds, - it becomes much more reminiscent of my old Model 3 Performance which was so smooth. I'll update if anything should change on subsequent drives, but right now I'm pleased as punch.

Congrats! And then there was one….

@WilliamG and I talk outside of the forums, I am 100% on board with his assessment. So there's at least 2 of us.
Yep, I figured, what with @jebinc's experience and @Muzzman1's experience, I was likely going to end up on one of those ends of the spectrum. I just dragged my ass out of bed again and went for another drive - just like the first. Now I know there's discussion about weather affecting things etc etc, but there's this hill by my house that has been 100% repeatable for vibration, and it's still gone for me with this update. It's a revelation. I hope it stays this way, of course.

Now, @jebinc and I have driven each other's cars several times, so I suspect we'll be doing that again soon to see what's going on. I know he'd be THRILLED with my car now.

Reactions: AudiA4
Think you misunderstood my reply. I was Glad he finally found a resolution. The “and then there was one” was referencing one last individual that has not found his happy place solution.
Yeah it seems @jebinc is definitely in the minority in being especially annoyed about this. I'll figure a time to get together with him and see what's what.

Reactions: AudiA4 and Yelobird
Yeah it seems @jebinc is definitely in the minority in being especially annoyed about this. I'll figure a time to get together with him and see what's what.
Yep, we will have to do our regular test routes, as always. Maybe as an early 2021 Plaid, the fix, isn't. Mine is definitely not as you describe yours after installing .44.10.5.1 - but then again, the links in the front were more of a remedy for mine than installing the links were for yours - so who knows 🫥

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG

I felt the same for the first three days of driving. Now I've noticed it come back several times but still extremely minor in my car. Today's drive I felt none (dry payment and around freezing temps)

I felt the same for the first three days of driving. Now I've noticed it come back several times but still extremely minor in my car. Today's drive I felt none (dry payment and around freezing temps)
I’ll get some more seat time but I’ve never had my car not vibrate before this fix (Track Mode aside).

Side note: My 2022 Plaid used to make this very odd sound when waking up, almost like a one-second-long loud blare through the interior speakers, - a one-off sound while waking, as long as I’ve had the car as I can recall. This is now gone with this holiday update. My 2021 Plaid did not make this sound, but it’s possible it was introduced with a software update originally.

Anyone else know what I’m talking about?

Reactions: AudiA4
I’ll get some more seat time but I’ve never had my car not vibrate before this fix (Track Mode aside).

Side note: My 2022 Plaid used to make this very odd sound when waking up, almost like a one-second-long loud blare through the interior speakers, - a one-off sound while waking, as long as I’ve had the car as I can recall. This is now gone with this holiday update. My 2021 Plaid did not make this sound, but it’s possible it was introduced with a software update originally.

Anyone else know what I’m talking about?
Yes! It was 1/20 starts where it seemed the center console would buzz like a game controller for a second. right? I havent noticed it at all either now.

For those that my recall my early report, just after installing 2023.44.30.5.1 (Holiday Update), I reported the "frequency change" of the vibration and that it (for me) has moved up 10 mph.

Meaning, it's a lower frequency vibration that occurs mostly now in the 50-56 mph range, than 38-50 mph range. Would love for some to try this out and report.

Last edited: