Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Vibration around 38-42MPH....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You did spend the first how many months of ownership hoping you’d get it though?

Not really, I was hoping I would not get vibrations at all. That changed at about 9.5k miles.

I'll add with Tesla, the fix is often worse than the problem. I wonder what the range hit will be. I have SMT Beta, will be looking at the power distribution.

In 2.5 years, I'll be able to sell it and still be under warranty, that my solution.

Happy with the update so far, although a portion is just giving me what was promised, rear seat gaming, which the grandkids enjoyed last night, until one opined, "I'm not looking at the rear screen, it is too small"

I’m on 44.30.6 and still have the vibration. I don’t tell a noticeable difference at all when I went on a few drives. Seems pretty much the same to me.
I’m also on .44.30.6, but havent felt the vibrations since it got cold here.
(Also winter roads/ snow on the roads, and teslas construction let more vibrations from the road enter the steering wheel at any time than on my Audis. I do not remember to notice this on the model 3 P, but uneven surface absolutely let more shaking into the steering wheel than my Audi so It might be hard to notice the half shaft shake.)

Dry drive today and I was able to reproduce the vibration. It's still there but it was faint.
Thanks for the update. Please update after a few days of driving. For me, I can't notice much of a change (for the better). Maybe the frequency of the vibration is different.

Edit: Alao noticed the vibration peak intensity seems to have moved up 10mph. Peak annoyance is now around 52-55mph.

Great, that's where I spend most of my time.
So granted my car is still very young, but I did have the vibration when the car was new (was very familiar with it from having driven an X LR), and it's virtually eliminated after the update. The cold start vibration is still there and as strong as ever.

I think this vibration thing is a out of tolerance part or parts or at the edge of the tolerance. Software will not be fixing it.

It very well might be an electrical control issue rather than a mechanical issue. One thing that's unique to the Plaid motors compared to most other permanent magnet EVs out there (including previous Teslas) is that the rotors have the magnets in a completely inline arrangement. Others are usually arranged in a skew fashion to reduce so-called cogging torque that is inherent to the permanent magnet design. Downsides include increased cost of manufacturing, magnetic pull being generated in the axial direction as well as "reduces the fundamental amplitude of the back EMF" (couldn't tell you what that last one actually means from an end result stand point).

Alternative strategies include software control to reduce cogging torque. It is very much Tesla's style to try to do things in software while also not having the sensors to do so reliably... which is what I suspect happened here. I imagine they built some model to approximate the motor characteristics, and that model was (and probably still is) imperfect.

Plaid Rotor: Note the straight slots

1703633915482.png

Source:

Model 3 LR Rotor
1703634042168.png

Source:

Rivian:
1703634620692.png

Source:

Ford Mach-E rotor
1703634335536.png

Source:

Background reading:
ShieldSquare Captcha

Last edited:
I have no idea why you guys can’t tell the difference with *.44. There are a “few” times I can perceive it lurking, but it’s cleared it up for me 90% of the time. The only time I feel it lurking is if I run up through 38-45 with NO vibration, then back off and accelerate at just the right amount I can still slightly feel it. But it’s to the point that if I hadn’t known it was an issue, I probably wouldn’t think much of it.

I have no idea why you guys can’t tell the difference with *.44. There are a “few” times I can perceive it lurking, but it’s cleared it up for me 90% of the time. The only time I feel it lurking is if I run up through 38-45 with NO vibration, then back off and accelerate at just the right amount I can still slightly feel it. But it’s to the point that if I hadn’t known it was an issue, I probably wouldn’t think much of it.
Many of us case from 2023.27 (FSDj - Beta) to 2023.44.30.5.1... And you?

Well, I did a 7 mile drive around suburban streets today to check the vibrations.

What I found was barely perceptible, from 35-55 mph. This only if I goosed it a bit, enough to elicit a wifey comment, if she was with me.

Driving in chill, as always, 150 Kw max per SMT.
Running the latest release for the LR, 5.1.

The rattles in the dash seem to have increased significantly, both sides now, competing for attention with the rear seats. I had the music off, so I could better hear feel the drive line vibrations.

I won't say it's been fixed, as SMT did not show any power to the front motor. Who knows what this will do to my range and rear motor longevity.

Consumption for the test was like 290kwh/mi. Way higher than normal.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc and WilliamG
I’m on fsdb have latest version. I have not detected the vibration since the update on about 10 drives. I’ve actually forgotten about it while driving.

This coupled with new yoke (not the elusive one) makes me feel very very complete with this car.

I have a ‘21 so no startup or 80mph vibration. Happy happy joy joy.

1703728096989.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG
I’m on fsdb have latest version. I have not detected the vibration since the update on about 10 drives. I’ve actually forgotten about it while driving.

This coupled with new yoke (not the elusive one) makes me feel very very complete with this car.

I have a ‘21 so no startup or 80mph vibration. Happy happy joy joy.

View attachment 1003604
Interesting. So two more reports of it being (for all intents) “fixed” or “minimized” significantly. While I’m home now and could test my own car finally, I also managed to get sick and am now laid up in bed, not driving anywhere. 😂🤦🏻‍♂️

I’ll test in the coming days.

Also, what is this new yoke?

Reactions: jebinc
Well aware of the peeling issue, but there is no fix yet. Latest revision (H, I believe) still suffers from peeling.
That’s what I’ve read. Mine is about 2 months old and doing well but haven’t hit hot sun yet. I asked them if this peels will they replace under warranty and they said definitely. So I figured since the “new” version may not come out until next year that I might as well enjoy a new yoke until then.

That’s what I’ve read. Mine is about 2 months old and doing well but haven’t hit hot sun yet. I asked them if this peels will they replace under warranty and they said definitely. So I figured since the “new” version may not come out until next year that I might as well enjoy a new yoke until then.
Fair enough. The fixed version supposedly out Q1 2024.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
I finally dragged my sick, useless ass out of the house for the first time since Tuesday (omg there's an outside world!) and got to test out 2023.44.30.5.1 (needs more decimal places), and I have some thoughts, after a half hour drive between 20mph and 60mph, with focus on 35-55mph, to cover and then some - the usual vibration speeds.

My thoughts?

1.) I really like that the volume bar got shrunk and no longer occludes navigation completely like it used to. That said, it got made reaaaaaaally small. I feel like there's surely something in between?

1703901570464.png

Come on, William. Focus.

Alright, alright...

2.) The bit you've been waiting for: The Vibration. El Vibrato.

Well, @jebinc sure isn't going to feel any better when I say any of this (sorry, buddy). What's interesting about cars, and especially ICE engine feel (historically, at least) is that an enthusiast gets used to the way the vehicle drives and feels, so much so that when something changes you have a bit of an :oops: when it happens. With electric cars, their motors don't really have a feel, but... the Model S Plaid does.

For a recap:

When I got the car, from day 1, in Low suspension the vibration was bad between 37mph and 50-ish, but Medium was "okay" - not too bad. Bizarrely, over time (next 1000 miles or so, as a guess), this reversed itself, - Medium became awful, and Low became better that it used to be. Over a bit more time, it became Low is awful, and Medium more awful. Not great. This led me to, with @jebinc's help (well, he did 99% of the work), install some N2itive lowering links on the front of the car, - just a tiny drop, which did help a little initially with the vibration, but over time it's kinda gotten more meh - worse for sure. I left the links on the front, but it was questionable as to how much they're doing for my car till this point in time.

Now, for those that know, this vibration can actually be heard if you know what you're listening for. It's a sort-of resonance in the cabin. You won't notice it with windows down or with music blasting, but on those quieter asphalt roads, at ~37-50mph or thereabouts, you can feel it, especially if going up a hill and maintaining that speed, - more load on those motors. No ignorant-of-vibration passenger has ever pointed this resonance out (or the vibration at all), but I can notice it, from the driver's or passenger's seat. At times I can feel the resonance through the center console, too. It's just... not right.

Enter 2023.44.30.5.1.

Please bear in mind these thoughts are based on a single half hour drive, but boy was this half hour drive unlike anything I've experienced with my car since day 1, July, 2023. Not only is the vibration 97% (more on this later) gone, but the car actually drives a little smoother in terms of motor resonance even in the mid-to-high 20s. Maybe someone can pop some numbers up for what the motors are doing differently at those speeds pre/post software upgrade, but the difference is obvious. It's hugely smoother. Then as we head toward those trouble numbers in the high 30s and throughout the 40s, the car sounds different in the cabin. Gone is that resonance, - and it's a world of difference. It is possible to induce the tiniest bit of vibration if trying to, by bouncing through those ranges in unnatural ways (more testing needed), but for regular driving? Wow. What a difference. As others have said here, if you didn't know there had been a vibration, you wouldn't think anything was awry.

So, I realized I was in Low suspension when doing most of my testing, so I gingerly switched it to Medium, which was pretty much unusable before. And no problems! I could not tell any difference between Low and Medium suspension settings, so I can finally put the car back into the Medium setting for daily driving and worry less about speed bumps or potholes.

So overall, is this a 100% fix for the issue? No, - I think Tesla is fudging motor load to fix the issue (as Track Mode/Rear bias already proved). Do I think this should satisfy most people? Well, I trust @jebinc and his findings with his car were not positive with this update, so I need to check out his car and see, - and I know if he believes he still has issues, he does. He's about as picky as I am (not an endearing trait, let me tell you! 😅). But for the rest of us? More than likely this will make you very happy.

For me, based on that half hour drive, I'm in heaven. It's such a night/day difference in the regular trouble spot of 37-50, while also smoothing out the drivetrain at even lower speeds, - it becomes much more reminiscent of my old Model 3 Performance which was so smooth. I'll update if anything should change on subsequent drives, but right now I'm pleased as punch.

Alright, back to bed and being sick. Enough excitement for one night.