Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing Front right drive motor mount.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello people,
Wondering if anyone has ever changed the front drive motor mount?
I’ve had the dreaded vibration under acceleration for a while.
Since my X is a salvage title, I decided to change the half shafts and axles, thinking it would fix the problem.
The problem did not go away.
The other day I was on here and read that the motor mounts could be bad.
Turns out that the passenger side drive motor mount bushing is ripped. After I attached a go-pro, you can see the whole drive motor shaking, especially around 35-40mph.

Anyways, ordered the new motor mount from Tesla. Looks like per Tesla repair manual, I will need to remove the whole front drive motor to change out the motor mount.
I don’t know if I’m missing something, but I looks like I can either change it out without removing the motor or maybe a slight drop to get it out.

Anyone change out this mount?

Thanks

I've replaced this bracket on right side back for FDU without removing it.
1703126864067.png

Bolt that holds the mount is accessible from wheel side after removing the liner.
I had to remove AC line to get access between FDU/frame
I can't recall if there's enough room to access 4 bolts that hold the mount to FDU
U could try to remove clevis n shift the whole FDU to gain more room...

Note, this is early design, this bracket n mount changed in Oct 2016 with AP2 release.

Reactions: vic1991
I've replaced this bracket on right side back for FDU without removing it.
View attachment 1001582

Bolt that holds the mount is accessible from wheel side after removing the liner.
I had to remove AC line to get access between FDU/frame
I can't recall if there's enough room to access 4 bolts that hold the mount to FDU
U could try to remove clevis n shift the whole FDU to gain more room...

Note, this is early design, this bracket n mount changed in Oct 2016 with AP2 release.
Thank you for sharing that.
I’m waiting for the mount to come in and going to give it a try.

Reactions: brainhouston
Just an update. I was able to switch out the right side motor mount.
It involves removing the whole right side suspension and axle for better access to remove the drive motor bolts.
Support the motor underneath with a jack.
It took me roughly 5 hours to remove and install the mount.

Still better than having to remove the HV battery and whole drive motor assembly like Tesla shows or having to take it to tesla and spend a few thousand dollars for the job.

Second picture shows removed drive motor mount.

IMG_5643.jpeg

IMG_5645.jpeg