Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Motor Failed Three Miles from Dealership on new Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for enlightenment on what is involved in swapping out a front drive inverter in a 2023 MYP. I just purchased one last night and I didn't make it to the freeway before the front motor failed. I was able to get it back to the dealership -- the diagnosis is either a failed front drive motor or the inverter. I'm rather leery about a brand new car with 40 miles on it being torn-down to the point where presumably the axles, r&p, and various other major front end components have to be removed and put back together.

Looking for enlightenment on what is involved in swapping out a front drive inverter in a 2023 MYP. I just purchased one last night and I didn't make it to the freeway before the front motor failed. I was able to get it back to the dealership -- the diagnosis is either a failed front drive motor or the inverter. I'm rather leery about a brand new car with 40 miles on it being torn-down to the point where presumably the axles, r&p, and various other major front end components have to be removed and put back together.
Assuming it's like the rear drive unit, I believe it takes them about 4 hours to do a swap. Replacing the electric motors are done from the bottom and are not nearly as complicated as trying to replace an ICE engine. Motor replacement is not a big deal.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
Parts should fail early if they have a defect, or very late. You had a defective part and it failed early. That's what a warranty is for. They will replace with a non-defective part and you'll be on your way with a new car. There's nothing to worry about. This happens in other brands too...