Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Vibration around 38-42MPH....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, you are correct, on the 21’s. Store is less than 1km from my house so doubt there was any meaningful heat put in to the tires.

Sometimes even when cold after sitting, it won’t do it. Ive had/driven 4wd and AWD vehicles for the last probably 20 years and never experienced this. Even a locked diff 4wd isnt as bad. This is pretty violent as it happens.

Is it really the 21” that is the issue? My model Y performance is smooth as butter.

Its still going to Tesla tomorrow just even to have record of this in case of future failure.
WoT, to each… best if luck.

WoT, to each… best if luck.
Maybe, maybe not. Drove another S plaid on 21’s tonight that exhibited none of these behaviors.

I’ve blown up a few high dollar engines to know it’s best to have issues documented. I’ve had 10’s of thousands of work done on good will out side of warranty because of problems being historically documented.

Whatever the outcome, its about 5 minutes of my time to drive to my SC and then I get to drive around in an X all day, or however long it takes. Big deal.

Also, without having to read through 60+ pages, is there a reason why this vibration is nonexistant when new and then slowly develops into feeling like youre driving on cobblestone?

Last edited:
Reactions: aerodyne and jebinc
Yes, you are correct, on the 21’s. Store is less than 1km from my house so doubt there was any meaningful heat put in to the tires.

Sometimes even when cold after sitting, it won’t do it. Ive had/driven 4wd and AWD vehicles for the last probably 20 years and never experienced this. Even a locked diff 4wd isnt as bad. This is pretty violent as it happens.

Is it really the 21” that is the issue? My model Y performance is smooth as butter.

Its still going to Tesla tomorrow just even to have record of this in case of future failure.
It’s the 21”+hard summer tires+Ackerman effect that’s the “issue.” It’s normal on these cars. I swap my wheels out to 19s+winters once weather gets into the 40s, as the wheel hop/skip unpleasantness gets annoying around then. It’s not a huge deal except when at full lock, and even then I know it’s going to happen so I’m used to it. Again, I recommend not wasting your time going to Tesla.

Maybe, maybe not. Drove another S plaid on 21’s tonight that exhibited none of these behaviors.

I’ve blown up a few high dollar engines to know it’s best to have issues documented. I’ve had 10’s of thousands of work done on good will out side of warranty because of problems being historically documented.

Whatever the outcome, its about 5 minutes of my time to drive to my SC and then I get to drive around in an X all day, or however long it takes. Big deal.

Also, without having to read through 60+ pages, is there a reason why this vibration is nonexistant when new and then slowly develops into feeling like youre driving on cobblestone?
Your last paragraph isn’t true, first. It depends on the car. My 2021 took 1400 miles to develop the ~40-50 vibration, whereas my 2022 vibrated on the way home from Tesla and has never stopped. Given just how many cars have this issue (I maintain all of them at some point), I wouldn’t worry about documentation. You have an 8-year powertrain warranty anyway.

It is a steering geometry thing.

The ackerman principle is about the inner wheel in a turn needing to be turned more as is runs a smaller diameter turn.
A correct wheel hinge geometry will gice the inner wheel in the turn more steering angle to be correct according to ackerman.

Model S do not seem to have the right setup in the suspension/steering as the inner and outer front wheels do not try to ”drive” in the same direction.
Not having the correct steering angles will cause the left and right front wheels to want to come closer or further away.
This causes the wheels to build a tension sideways against the ground. When this tension gives a higher force then the tyre grip the tyre will slip shortly over the ground and make that not too nice sound

My S 2023 does the wheel pop which is loud and does not give a premium feeling.
I try to avoid steep stering angles because of this.
Nope, not really wheel dependant.
But softer tyres with higher tyre shoulders allow for more flex väbefore the slip.

Its a model S design issue. Tesla probably have things to learn to make things right.

For the vibrations in my car, the sound proofing foam ”can not” be the issue.

The vibrations is much higher frequency than 1/rev. Its absolutely more than 3/rev and i would judge it to be about 8/rev or so which would put the half shafts as the prime suspects, having somewhere around eight steel balls that transfer the power in the joints.

In general, feeling vibrations at low speed (30mph or below or so) mostly is not ”unbalanced wheels” as the low rotational speed causes low forces due to not being in balance.

It is a steering geometry thing.

The ackerman principle is about the inner wheel in a turn needing to be turned more as is runs a smaller diameter turn.
A correct wheel hinge geometry will gice the inner wheel in the turn more steering angle to be correct according to ackerman.

Model S do not seem to have the right setup in the suspension/steering as the inner and outer front wheels do not try to ”drive” in the same direction.
Not having the correct steering angles will cause the left and right front wheels to want to come closer or further away.
This causes the wheels to build a tension sideways against the ground. When this tension gives a higher force then the tyre grip the tyre will slip shortly over the ground and make that not too nice sound

My S 2023 does the wheel pop which is loud and does not give a premium feeling.
I try to avoid steep stering angles because of this.

Nope, not really wheel dependant.
But softer tyres with higher tyre shoulders allow for more flex väbefore the slip.

Its a model S design issue. Tesla probably have things to learn to make things right.
I thought it was the width of the front tires. They are wide enough that you can't compensate fully at tight turns. I was under the impression that other cars with the same width fronts have the same issue (Corvette, lucid, etc)

Reactions: jebinc and WilliamG
I thought it was the width of the front tires. They are wide enough that you can't compensate fully at tight turns. I was under the impression that other cars with the same width fronts have the same issue (Corvette, lucid, etc)
Yes because the tire is wide enough for the effect to be present on the tire from outside to inside

Reactions: jebinc
Update to my car:

Went to leave my house this morning to go to SC, pulled out of my driveway, pop pop pop, BANG!! followed by a ton of faults, adaptive suspension degraded, steering assist reduced, no traction, no stability, no emergency braking, no vehicle hold bunch more. Car noticeably lower on left front which is where the sound seemed to come from.

SC did dismiss the vibration as software update incoming. I tried yesterday evening and my vibration is basically at all speeds now, acclerating, decelerating or holding constant. From maybe 30-40km/h speeds well past 120km/h

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
Update to my car:

Went to leave my house this morning to go to SC, pulled out of my driveway, pop pop pop, BANG!! followed by a ton of faults, adaptive suspension degraded, steering assist reduced, no traction, no stability, no emergency braking, no vehicle hold bunch more. Car noticeably lower on left front which is where the sound seemed to come from.

SC did dismiss the vibration as software update incoming. I tried yesterday evening and my vibration is basically at all speeds now, acclerating, decelerating or holding constant. From maybe 30-40km/h speeds well past 120km/h
Yuck. That’s no fun. 😔

For anyone else reading: Nobody, as of this post, has gotten 2023.44. We won’t see it for a bit, as 2023.38 is still rolling out. Heck, we might see 2023.40 or 2023.42 etc first.

Update to my car:

Did you put lowering links on? Sounds like one fell off.

• Helpful
One of my TPMS sensors failed, so getting that fixed on my '23 Plaid. I saw this was added to my service invoice as well, so I'll be curious to see what happens.

I do feel a vibration but feel it less so once i swapped to Chill driving. I have just learned to live with it, but curious to see what differences it makes if any.

Had my service done at the Bellevue, WA SC. Ended up replacing 2 TPMS sensors as they couldn't resolve the issue by just replacing the one that wasn't reporting.

Separately, the note about software update for vibration, the tech noted "vehicle software update not necessary at this time." and marked it resolved. :shrug.

• Funny
Yes because the tire is wide enough for the effect to be present on the tire from outside to inside
When you turn the steering wheel standing still of at very low speed the wheel need to slip/skip in the same manner as your description but it did not produce any sounds.

I have a Audi which I had PS4 on, 255mm with ( only 10 mm thinner), it never did those sounds when the whole wheel jumped.