Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Vibration around 38-42MPH....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt it being caused by damage to the half shafts. I had the vibration return just a week after installing new half shafts, without any high power accelerations. I am sure the shafts aren't damaged. I imagine it's due to the angle and tolerances within the CV joints having just enough play to allow a vibration to form at the resonant frequency.

Yes, it can be prevented in software, since track mode and rear bias causes it to go away. There might be a range impact, though. Since it would require the rear drive units to cover ~40-50 mph. I doubt anyone would notice.
Yup, doubt anybody would care/notice, and it may not need the rear drive units to fully cover that speed. The startup vibration on 2022+ cars feels the same, yet more aggressive. And that goes away after a minute or two. As stated, I think Tesla could fix this in software. Whether they do is another matter.

Reactions: jebinc
I thought someone posted pics a while back that showed actual gouge marks on the half shafts. Would have to try and track the post down, but I recall actual, visible, physical damage to the half shafts that ultimately resulted in Tesla replacing that individual's half shafts.

Lol, yea tesla will "fix it with software" to mitigate poor Engineering & Design... They have a track record of "fixing" things like the AC vent whistling design issue, where you turned off the passenger side ventilation and it whistled badly even at low flow. tesla "fixed it via sw" update, now you can no longer turn off the passenger side vent flow even if you don't have a passenger.

How people come to accpet these sw "fixes" by neutering or removing a feature or capability is beyond me.

Let see if tesla can fix my X doors and windows not closing all the time. hoping for a "sw fix"

• Funny
I thought someone posted pics a while back that showed actual gouge marks on the half shafts. Would have to try and track the post down, but I recall actual, visible, physical damage to the half shafts that ultimately resulted in Tesla replacing that individual's half shafts.
I certainly don't recall that. But even so, I doubt that damage is related to this issue. (It seems people come to this thread for all vibration issues, even non-Plaid/pre-refresh vehicles which have entirely different issues.)

Lol, yea tesla will "fix it with software" to mitigate poor Engineering & Design... They have a track record of "fixing" things like the AC vent whistling design issue, where you turned off the passenger side ventilation and it whistled badly even at low flow. tesla "fixed it via sw" update, now you can no longer turn off the passenger side vent flow even if you don't have a passenger.

How people come to accpet these sw "fixes" by neutering or removing a feature or capability is beyond me.

Let see if tesla can fix my X doors and windows not closing all the time. hoping for a "sw fix"

Yeah, though this one I probably wouldn't care if they fixed it by software. I'll take a tiny range reduction at 40-50 mph in return for smooth driving. I don't often drive a lot at 40-50 mph.

I can sympathize with you guys who still have the S/P.

It is inexcusable to lose range in my opinion, but when you give tesla an inch, they will take a mile, that is what tesla does best. Neuter here, remove a feature there, expecting the consumer to turn the other cheek. I had enough of it.

Shame the wife likes the X despite the issues, otherwise it would be gone too. I don't miss much with the Plaid and the s-h.-it tesla customer service, although I'm now having to send the service manager an email to get it fixed. I don't recall ever going to the service center when someone wasn't crying or angry yelling at someone there, you can't make this up.

Reactions: aerodyne and jebinc
I can sympathize with you guys who still have the S/P.

It is inexcusable to lose range in my opinion, but when you give tesla an inch, they will take a mile, that is what tesla does best. Neuter here, remove a feature there, expecting the consumer to turn the other cheek. I had enough of it.

Shame the wife likes the X despite the issues, otherwise it would be gone too. I don't miss much with the Plaid and the s-h.-it tesla customer service, although I'm now having to send the service manager an email to get it fixed. I don't recall ever going to the service center when someone wasn't crying or angry yelling at someone there, you can't make this up.
Agreed. but what can you replace it with?

Taycan? $200k and slower than the Plaid.
Lucid Sapphire? $250k and the nearest service center is four hours away.

<shrug>

The ‘21s don’t have the start up vibration correct? I seriously question if tesla tweaked the motor and/or software. Seems like they do a lot of unannounced revisions.
What is the "start up" vibration? I have a 2021 that has the 30s, 40s MPH vibration. I think @WilliamG has referred to the "startup vibration" that goes away after a short drive. But do not recall.

Sad when we are trying to remember the different vibrations.

What is the "start up" vibration? I have a 2021 that has the 30s, 40s MPH vibration. I think @WilliamG has referred to the "startup vibration" that goes away after a short drive. But do not recall.

Sad when we are trying to remember the different vibrations.
I have this in my 2 day old MXP. After the car sits for an undetermined period of time and you head out for a drive, you get a heavy vibration underneath you and in the steering weel that lasts for about 1-2 minutes/miles. When I made stops along the way and got back in the car, the ride resumed normally. When I parked the car in the garage overnight and went for a drive, the same cycle that I mentioned above repeated.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: jebinc and cwanja
That's the main vibration that most people immediately noticed. There now appears to be a second high-speed vibration. I have the former, but not the latter. There are suggestions that it's worse in cold weather. I took delivery in January and immediately noticed it. Has never quite really gone away, but I can feel it a little more prominently now as cold weather returns. Once the car warms up it seems to go away, which explains why Tesla could not replicate it when I took it in and went for a test-drive. Service center gave me some crap about checking the balance on my tires, which I already knew was not the issue. Appears the only fix (and even that is apparently under debate) is lowering the car a little more than the factory lowest setting via lowering links. Several lengthy threads on this in the S forums.

That's the main vibration that most people immediately noticed. There now appears to be a second high-speed vibration. I have the former, but not the latter. There are suggestions that it's worse in cold weather. I took delivery in January and immediately noticed it. Has never quite really gone away, but I can feel it a little more prominently now as cold weather returns. Once the car warms up it seems to go away, which explains why Tesla could not replicate it when I took it in and went for a test-drive. Service center gave me some crap about checking the balance on my tires, which I already knew was not the issue. Appears the only fix (and even that is apparently under debate) is lowering the car a little more than the factory lowest setting via lowering links. Several lengthy threads on this in the S forums.
The new cold vibration is a strange one. I don't have it in my 2021, despite getting new half shafts three times, presumably with the latest part number.

Lowering does not mitigate the startup vibration. I think this is intrinsic to the motor.

RGR - so long as the startup vibration is not the same as the 30-40mph vibration, we are talking about different things. This thread is the first 'm hearing about a startup vibration. Was tracking the 30-40ish vibration and some folks reporting a high-speed vibration.

Not quite right. There are three vibrations, to recap:

1.) On the 2021, 2022, and 2023 refresh cars, that occurs between about 37-50mph (give or take). This isn’t always there on new cars (wasn’t on my 2021 till 1400 miles) but can be (noticeable on my 2022 from day 1).

2.) On 2022 and 2023 refresh cars (not 2021) a vibration that occurs around the same speed (sometimes a tad lower) that feels a lot like the first vibration above, but is much, much more noticeable. This goes away within a few minutes of driving, but it’s really obvious if you’re paying even slight attention. If this vibration stayed there and didn’t disappear within a few minutes, you’d have a lot more complaints on the forums.

3.) A higher-speed vibration at around 80mph. Affects some cars and not determined whether it’s 2021-2023 or not. This vibration hasn’t been discussed anywhere near as much as 1 or 2. Number 1 is the original vibration for refresh, with number 2 coming along after 2022 refresh cars were released. I have all three vibrations in my 2022.

RGR - so long as the startup vibration is not the same as the 30-40mph vibration, we are talking about different things. This thread is the first 'm hearing about a startup vibration. Was tracking the 30-40ish vibration and some folks reporting a high-speed vibration.

I experience two vibrations. Always on the first drive of the day that goes away in a few minutes and then the slight vibration felt between 38 and 48 mph under light acceleration. Both vibrations are felt in the steering wheel and the go pedal. The vibrations seem related if not identical.

Reactions: theslimshadyist
Not quite right. There are three vibrations, to recap:

1.) On the 2021, 2022, and 2023 refresh cars, that occurs between about 37-50mph (give or take). This isn’t always there on new cars (wasn’t on my 2021 till 1400 miles) but can be (noticeable on my 2022 from day 1).

2.) On 2022 and 2023 refresh cars (not 2021) a vibration that occurs around the same speed (sometimes a tad lower) that feels a lot like the first vibration above, but is much, much more noticeable. This goes away within a few minutes of driving, but it’s really obvious if you’re paying even slight attention. If this vibration stayed there and didn’t disappear within a few minutes, you’d have a lot more complaints on the forums.

3.) A higher-speed vibration at around 80mph. Affects some cars and not determined whether it’s 2021-2023 or not. This vibration hasn’t been discussed anywhere near as much as 1 or 2. Number 1 is the original vibration for refresh, with number 2 coming along after 2022 refresh cars were released. I have all three vibrations in my 2022.
You win a prize! All the vibrations.