Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pictures & Video from the Model X Unveiling (02/09/2012)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Functionally, it seems a lot like the MB R class. Would like to see something that clearly shows the seating...appears to be 2-3-2 but difficult to tell. R class 3rd row is really for small adults & kids, suspect same here, and the rear storage is pretty small for an SUV when the 3rd row is in use...then again, the R bills itself as a crossover. But the front views/lines on the MB R are terrible, it is flat-out ugly, where this is fairly pleasing. I'll take one.

Functionally, it seems a lot like the MB R class. Would like to see something that clearly shows the seating...appears to be 2-3-2 but difficult to tell. R class 3rd row is really for small adults & kids, suspect same here, and the rear storage is pretty small for an SUV when the 3rd row is in use...then again, the R bills itself as a crossover. But the front views/lines on the MB R are terrible, it is flat-out ugly, where this is fairly pleasing. I'll take one.

It is 2-3-2, here's a seating layout graphic:
Tesla-unveils-model-x-embed2.jpg

From TheChargingPoint.com - Tesla unveils 'falcon door' Modex X electric SUV

Also, someone else on here claimed to be taller than 6' and sat comfortably in the third row (forget which thread). Based on that and the rear slope to the hatch, there should be a fair amount of storage room behind that third row. Plus space in the frunk...

what happens when there's snow on the X in the winter - as soon as you open the doors it all falls in?
Exactly. That "bird" doors seem to me not practical at all for the real world. Elon will need to do a really good job to convince me otherwise. And no roof racks? That is just silly. So what is it, a sport car or a utility car? So far I see the X as an interesting and enhanced model S sedan. Doesn't look to me like an SUV or CUV. Just my first impression so far.

Just in case you guys haven't seen, videos of the Model X showing have been uploaded to YouTube:

Thanks to farmboyfive for that.

There are four. The Last two are where the action is. I wish I had gone, but flying Madrid to LAX means a lot of CO2 emissions... Better being there virtually IMHO.

As for the car itself...I will stick with the classy Model S and unique Roadster for now.

The Model X looks promising but they need front falcon wing doors in order to be able to exploit the benefits they offer when parking close to a wall or other car. Either that or easy passage from front to middle row (entirely possible as there is no transmission tunnel or gear changer).

I read some comments about the fast acceleration appealing to the Alpha male rather than the "driver and her 6 friends"... I might agree to an extent, but my wife enjoys the Roadster's pick-up as much as I do so I suspect it is by all means a strong selling point for all interested parties. Given the choice who doesn't like to brag about being faster than the competition?

Last edited by a moderator:
May be those falcon doors are even better in rain then conventional doors?!

Those doors are going up and protect you from light rain, and at heavy rain, like in your video you do not open any door or you and the interior get wet with any kind of doors.

They rae unconventional and we are not used to them. But so was ( is ) an electric engine for the most drivers. So give those doors a warm wellcome and let's see how they work in real life!

Welcome to the "Bloatmobile". What are the odds on this making it to production as unveiled? Slim to none in my view.
This reveal has actually done damage to the brand as Model X is clearly far less attractive than Model S or, more significantly, cars like the A7. The share price today indicates disappointment not excitement.
Good luck sealing those gull wing doors and maintaining gaps.
With such a great powertrain, suspension and battery system why could they not have come up with a decent package (3rd. row especially) and a pleasing shape???
Finally, why reveal NOW?
Elon? Franz?

What difference is there from a Gullwing to a hatch door ? Did you ever had problem closing your hatch door ? Problems of infiltration ? When it's raining when you open your hatch does it all come into the trunk ? Why a Gullwing should be any different ?
I could understand your disappointment if you said that it's adding complexity for nothing...

As for why reveal now: it's a prototype !!!! How many times have we seen in auto show a prototype of a product YEARS before they go into production (even most of them don't even go to production...)
With this early prototype they can also gather critics/improvements to make from people like us and make adjustments to it before it goes into production...

Welcome to the "Bloatmobile". What are the odds on this making it to production as unveiled? Slim to none in my view.
This reveal has actually done damage to the brand as Model X is clearly far less attractive than Model S or, more significantly, cars like the A7. The share price today indicates disappointment not excitement.
Good luck sealing those gull wing doors and maintaining gaps.
With such a great powertrain, suspension and battery system why could they not have come up with a decent package (3rd. row especially) and a pleasing shape???
Finally, why reveal NOW?
Elon? Franz?

extesla,

you were called-out as a "troll" after previous postings. You also posted stuff like this which indicates you had TSLA insider knowledge at some point:

"Rawlinson will be missed for his technical knowledge and drive. He will not be missed for his dictatorial ways and his petulance. Sampson was just a bag carrier for Rawlinson and will not be missed..."

IMHO, sounds like you are either an unhappy ex-Tesla employee (were you fired?), or somebody who is shorting the stock. You've never posted anything that wasn't negative about Tesla to this forum. Do you have any positive comments to make at all about the company or its products?

BTW, the market is down about 1% right now as of this writing. It is no surprise the stock is down 5% today. It was time for a small correction after the run-up in price prior to the Model X Premiere. Us investors (not traders) who believe in this company and what it is trying to do are in for the long haul. I think Elon was smart to reveal now to start collecting lots of X reservations he could report on during the next quarterly earnings call. As he himself said, they want to show that Tesla is "not a one trick pony" (Model S).

Last edited: