Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pictures & Video from the Model X Unveiling (02/09/2012)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe the falcon doors will have a built-in automatic umbrella function, designed to align with the opening. It'll be like someone is holding an umbrella for you. Optional. ;)

Of course you'll open them with your phone-app before you "sprint across a parking lot". ;)

Some rough calculation shows you need 7' 6" of height. I used model S height to get this.

They should make falcon an option. X won't fit in a lot of garages ...

bg_04_garage_prod.jpg

As noted in the other thread, using the Model-S-next-to-Model-X image on Tesla's Model X page, both NigelM and me have calculated about 7'1".

A similar number (7') was reported from answers of Franz.

My assumption would be that 7"1" is low enough for almost all garages.

Last edited:
yesterday i came out of a restaurant with my wife and daughter. wife has a bmw X5. it was about 25 degrees and the car next to us was close. my mother was putting in my daughter and struggling since she couldn't open the door all the way to stand next to the car seat. i and not sure if there would have been enough clearance for the doors to open "falcon wing" style or not but it sure would have helped to have minivan functionality as Elon noted. told my wife and she just said...uh, no.

yes, but getting in yourself is different than trying to strap in a 2 year old into the car seat, first lifting them then trying to buckle them in with your body turned at about 45 degrees and them not wanting to get in. i never would have thought of this before my daughter, but it certainly is sensible. i can only imagine what it's gonna be like for someone who has kids in the 3rd row trying to get in while trying to buckle in the others in the 2nd row

I've have kids and once upon a time they were smaller than me. We managed. That said, I see your point but whenever I've had that issue I just went round the other side...easier to do if you're just strapping in your kid than if you're trying to get in the driving seat. Read somewhere that the average American is now 180lbs, so if close parking is a widespread problem maybe the X should have falcon doors at the front also. Just thinking out loud...no offence to large people!

I do't get these comments on several different threads that the falcon doors help when someone else is parked too close....what about the driver/front passenger? They still need the usual amount of space to open their door and get in !

The falcon door is longer than the front door, so it would require more space if it were a conventional door. Plus, it is more likely to be "operated" by kids/teenagers...

EDIT: And of course the people from the third row would have a harder time holding the door open at the right amount, in a tight space. Did I forget anything? ;)

Last edited:
I thought it was strange as a Roadster owner and Signature Model S reservation holder I wasn't automatically just given a ticket to ride in the Model X when I was there. I asked about it but they said it was limited for some reason. I'm not getting a Model X so I didn't press the issue. Anyway, was a great time. Tesla throws a good party.

I thought it was strange as a Roadster owner and Signature Model S reservation holder I wasn't automatically just given a ticket to ride in the Model X when I was there. I asked about it but they said it was limited for some reason. I'm not getting a Model X so I didn't press the issue. Anyway, was a great time. Tesla throws a good party.

They only had several hours to give rides, and thus limited them to those that placed reservations for the Model X