Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone app for model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any current MX owners able to comment on the iphone app for model X? I've seen the S app but don't know if there is a unique app for the model x or if exact same interface, same bells and whistles. I saw my neighbors MS app and look forward to my X delivery....scheduled for Who Knows/2016...

Works the same on S and X. For those who have not used the app here are a few screen shots.

image.png
image.png

Note summons not currently available on the X.
image.png
image.png

Reduced charger output since we have three cars plugged in at the same time. The X has the 72 amp charger.

Roamer, might be off-topic for this thread, but you mentioned you're at reduced amperage since you're charging three cars at once. Can you describe the electrical system layout that you have please - specifically what's shared and what's not. I was curious how to go about solving the multiple car / multiple charger problems.

Roamer, might be off-topic for this thread, but you mentioned you're at reduced amperage since you're charging three cars at once. Can you describe the electrical system layout that you have please - specifically what's shared and what's not. I was curious how to go about solving the multiple car / multiple charger problems.

I have a 400 amp house panel the feeds a 200 amp garage panel. The garage panel serves many things but most are infrequent loads. Right now I have two HPWCs set up. One is set at 50 amps and the other is set at 80 amps. The third car is plugged into the RV 50 amp outlet in the RV part of the garage. During the day my employees charge a Leaf on another 50 RV located outside. I can charge all three Teslas at the same time but usually set them to start charging at 10:00 PM and 1:00 AM to not load the system more than needed.

I upgraded to the 400 amp main years ago and should have gone to 600 amp. I line tap 120 amps of solar into the 200 amp sub panel feed line. It took much conversation with the utility and the city to get the line tap approved. So basically the 200 amp garage sub panel breaker is a dual purpose connection in the 400 amp main. It feeds 200 to the garage and also back feeds up to 120 amps of solar back to the main 400 amp panel. Each of three solar inverters feed thru 40 amp breakers in a 200 amp rated solar sub panel so nothing can ever overload.

The X with a 72 amp single charger fits right in with my system loads the way I have them set up. I could crank that HPWC up but pulling 62 on an 80 amp breaker is fast enough for my needs. In three years of Tesla driving I have never needed faster charging than my system can deliver. Works perfectly for our needs.

It is possible today to get a 200 amp rated panel with a 400 amp bus bar. With that you don't have to replace your house main feed lines to add up to 200 amps of solar back feed. Your total utility feed load is still limited to 200 amps with that set up. 400 amp is a pretty easy upgrade. 600 amp moves you to commercial panels and is a little more difficult to do on most residential systems.

I'm in the midst of a 400A to 600A feed upgrade. It did require upgrading the meter base to a commercial grade CT cabinet. To find the physical space for it (it's large - approximately 4x4 ft and 18" deep), I had to move one of my heat pumps and our Verizon FIOS ONT.

When it's done, I'll have three 200A panels, and a fourth sub-panel at 135A. The two 200A panels are in the basement, and serve the house. One of these panels is fed via a transfer switch with a 18kW natural gas generator for backup. The 135A panel is located in the garage, and is a sub-panel of the 200A panel in the basement that is not on the generator. Lastly, the third 200A panel is fed from a separate meter (for TOU EV rate plan) and is in the garage.

I'll have two HPWC's at 80A (100A breakers), and a clipper creek at 25A (for a volt) which is being fed from the 135A panel. I did this because the volt has to charge twice a day, one of the times being outside of the TOU ultra low rate. When the day comes that the volt is replaced, probably with a Bolt or Model 3, I will likely re-wire the EVSE for that car to the 200A EV panel, and reduce the amperage on the HPWCs to accommodate.

I'm also in the midst of repricing solar. If I go forward, it too will likely go to the 135A sub-panel in the garage. There are a few other loads on this panel, one small heat pump and some LED lightning. I don't think adding the solar should be an issue, but we're using a panel rated for 200A even though the breaker is 135A.

Hopefully this wasn't too confusing.

Edit: We're drifting away from the original topic of phone app for the X. Mods feel free to move a few of these posts to charging .. Possibly a thread on how to wire your garage to support multiple EVs.

The problem with doing that is that each case is different, depending upon how your service is configured, what rules your PoCo has, what room you have for conduits, etc. I guess we could put individiual anecdotes there, but there really won't be a "standard" that emerges.

How much do these panel upgrades cost? I am on a 200 amp service currently with one 16 amp plugin with a 4.4kwh solar system. I have a Model X on the way and plan to get the Model 3 as well. Along with the power wall. My super off peak hours are from 10PM to 6AM so I presume I can lower the amps and charge all 3 at once.

How much do these panel upgrades cost? I am on a 200 amp service currently with one 16 amp plugin with a 4.4kwh solar system. I have a Model X on the way and plan to get the Model 3 as well. Along with the power wall. My super off peak hours are from 10PM to 6AM so I presume I can lower the amps and charge all 3 at once.

Each circumstance is different, and it also depends upon your power company (PoCo's) responsibilities in your state. Yours may be as simple as replacing the meter enclosure and adding a second 200A panel to it. It could be difficult. In my case, the PoCo supplied the new meter equipment & enclosure and did all the work to upgrade the transformer and pull new cable to the service drop. I was responsible for removing the old/installing the new meter enclosure and all inside wiring - this would cost roughly $1,000 normally. Some states allow the PoCo to charge the customer for service upgrades, including transformer upgrade costs -- that could be as much as $10,000. So you'll have to get some quotes.

Mod: more posts to move! :)

Back to topic. Is it possible to open the X doors from the app? Not just unlock, but open, since they're all motorized. It looks like the answer is "no", but that would be really useful. I almost never use the buttons on my S fob, but the fob has still begun to crack where the buttons are. I imagine I will be using it much more to open the falcon wing doors and am a bit concerned that fob won't hold up.

Back to topic. Is it possible to open the X doors from the app? Not just unlock, but open, since they're all motorized. It looks like the answer is "no", but that would be really useful. I almost never use the buttons on my S fob, but the fob has still begun to crack where the buttons are. I imagine I will be using it much more to open the falcon wing doors and am a bit concerned that fob won't hold up.
At the current moment the app won't open any of the doors. But as you stated, with all the doors being motorized it could be possible to do it with the app if Tesla decides to add that functionality.