Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phido's Model 3 and reducing drag experiments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Yall,

I have recently purchased a 2023 Tesla Model 3 Long Range. Obviously a fantastic car and I am very happy with it. Its fast, its efficient, its practical, its long ranged. Its awesome.

However, I don't know what it is, but I really want to play and experiment with reducing drag on the car, not for any particularly productive reason, I'm not overtly interested in increasing range, or lowering operating costs. I guess I am just interested if there is any way to improve on the already significantly aerodynamically good Model 3.

Nothing expensive, just cardboard, flute board and masking tape. Nothing permanent or extensive. I am just curious where gains can be made, by how much and what that would look like. Many of the aerodynamic compromises are to serve other purposes, no one likes wheel spats, so they used air curtains, but spats could be fitted and then you wouldn'tneed the curtain, the front is designed to channel air into the cooling and wheel curtains, not perhaps to be the most aerodynamic shape on its own. A boat tail is impractical, but gains could be had.

Below is a picture attached, maybe rounding out and protruding the nose, blocking most of the cooling duct, rear (and maybe front) wheel spats, and a bit of a boat tail to clean up the air out the back. Maybe some soft rubber skirting. Maybe moondisc style wheel covers.

1680572246499.png

There are ALWAYS things one could have done to make a vehicle much more efficient, reducing coefficient of drag, rolling resistance, weight, eTc. But of course, nobody really wants to drive with a giant goose tail on the back (well, except some truckers who know it saves about 8% overall energy at speed on the highway) or have a car too low as to make it challenging to get in and out of parking lots/driveways.

Shape that is more aerodynamic takes more time and metal shop time, thus increasing cost. Lighter but equally sufficient materials cost more. Changing the rake of from the C pillar back to the boot makes visibility more challenging, so for regular day to day visibility and drive ability that makes it harder, and thus harder to get higher levels of buyer adoption.

It’s an interesting mix/dance for sure.

I think the current PRODUCTION world champ is here. I’ve seen this baby before and it’s smaller than it appears in photos. But there is a lot here that I can definitely see getting transferred to more production vehicles in the not too distant future.

Although, it does tend to make me think of the old Woody Allen movie, Sleeper (great movie regardless of what one thinks of the man) and the car of the future that they had in it.

that UNPLUGGED article and reference is great… I wonder if anyone has actually tested it all out? Clearly they did CFD and didn’t actually put it all on in a wind tunnel (large expense usually Reserved for OEM’s) and or tested it on a closed circuit track. But I might try some of the things

This quote makes it quite compelling as the 70-80 mph range is where I KNOW I lose most of my highway efficiency - although it is still pretty good at speed.

”Based on this model, we estimate that utilizing the front lip, rear wing, and lowering springs will produce 43 miles of additional range (13.33%) at a steady speed of 70 miles per hour, on top of the Model 3’s expected efficiency”

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
As stated earlier, the two main options to reduce drag are:
  • Removal of side-view mirrors.
  • Lowering vehicle.
Also, I am curious to know how you got a 2023 M3LR? did you just buy a LR in 2023 or is it new production that we have not seen?
Outside the US, where the M3 is built in the Chinese factory there's full availability for the M3LR.

As stated earlier, the two main options to reduce drag are:
  • Removal of side-view mirrors.
  • Lowering vehicle.
Also, I am curious to know how you got a 2023 M3LR? did you just buy a LR in 2023 or is it new production that we have not seen?
Technically, unless one is believing some random EM quote and leaning on the UPP data, the highest efficiency increases are:

LOWERING the vehicle, then
Front lip spoiler upgrade, then
some higher efficiency rear spoiler
THEN, removal of side mirrors. which is highly impractical regardless

Reactions: XPsionic
There are no side cameras that can stand in for the visual perspective of the side mirrors.

That is completely not what any Tesla offers

eh... if you hit the camera button they'll stay on screen, and both show the perspective that displays any time you're changing lanes (plus the rear camera too)

So I don't know that I'd say it's "complete not" what the Tesla has.... the side angle is a bit lower of course, but that shouldn't really matter for something the size of another car.

He said they could stand in for mirrors, not "they will give you a 1000% identical viewing size and angle as mirrors"

Reactions: TimTam and XPsionic
How far do you want to go? I imagined that an inflatable rear bubble would fill the area of negative pressure at the back. Another crazy thought is a COPV tank that can slowly release air to the parts of the car that are experiencing low pressure. That would under the car and behind the mirrors and tail. The weight will probably negate any advantage.

Reactions: Don.Church
Technically, unless one is believing some random EM quote and leaning on the UPP data, the highest efficiency increases are:

LOWERING the vehicle, then
Front lip spoiler upgrade, then
some higher efficiency rear spoiler
THEN, removal of side mirrors. which is highly impractical regardless
I am going to need some acronym explanation. What is UPP data. What is a random EM quote.
That said; ok, how did you figure this priority list? I am game, I have just heard otherwise. Here is what I have read:

The easiest ways to reduce drag
-- Removal of sideview mirrors (reduction of ~4.9%) Not the greatest effect but removal cost is the least expensive (unless you get ticketed, depends on your state), you only need to purchase or fabricate a cover for the mirror mount.
-- Lowering the vehicle (reduction of 3.2 - 8.1%). There are many cost effective ways to do this, cost and effect depends on how much and how the vehicle is lowered.
-- Lastly, Upgrades. reshaping the front and rear of the vehicle will reduce drag, but requires a more expensive parts. Lip (~$700, Reduction of 6.6%), and spoiler (~$800 reduction of 4.4%).

statistical information sourced from vendors and EV sites such as Electrek & Unplugged Performance.

I am going to need some acronym explanation. What is UPP data. What is a random EM quote.
That said; ok, how did you figure this priority list? I am game, I have just heard otherwise. Here is what I have read:

The easiest ways to reduce drag
-- Removal of sideview mirrors (reduction of ~4.9%) Not the greatest effect but removal cost is the least expensive (unless you get ticketed, depends on your state), you only need to purchase or fabricate a cover for the mirror mount.
-- Lowering the vehicle (reduction of 3.2 - 8.1%). There are many cost effective ways to do this, cost and effect depends on how much and how the vehicle is lowered.
-- Lastly, Upgrades. reshaping the front and rear of the vehicle will reduce drag, but requires a more expensive parts. Lip (~$700, Reduction of 6.6%), and spoiler (~$800 reduction of 4.4%).

statistical information sourced from vendors and EV sites such as Electrek & Unplugged Performance.
Take a read of the UnPlugged Performance data on the first page of this thread, they list all their data for each item I listed, in order of drag reduction % from higher to lower.. The ELon Musk statement randomly somewhere of an 8% drag reduction just removing the mirrors doesn’t seem to bear out in testing however.

Last edited:
eh... if you hit the camera button they'll stay on screen, and both show the perspective that displays any time you're changing lanes (plus the rear camera too)

So I don't know that I'd say it's "complete not" what the Tesla has.... the side angle is a bit lower of course, but that shouldn't really matter for something the size of another car.

He said they could stand in for mirrors, not "they will give you a 1000% identical viewing size and angle as mirrors"
I‘d be fine with just 100%, but it won’t offer that. I would technically consider a stand in, equal to the expectation of the initial element…it’s just not that. I won’t get into the behavioral change for any 5+ year driver that just removing the mirrors would cause.

Completely not means, other OEM HAVE put in side CAMERAS on an external stalk at the A-pillar to replace mirrors, with somewhat better aerodynamic profile, to reduce drag and mostly NOISE, but it depends on where they put the in car display of the outside image. Some OEM have tried it in the drivers front display, dash, others have it as a side display and others have it in mid-dash.

The current camera array as implemented is not going to be able to replace the same field of view that the side mirrors offer and I actually doubt Tesla is going to move to a stalk camera to replace it anytime soon.

I’m sorry, I’m not going to be capable to explain it further.

I was reminded of an old forum I used to visit in the late 2000s, where there was a lot of info on mods for better fuel efficiency, hypermiling, and EV conversions. Here's a compilation of aerodynamic mods that are worth a look. Some of them are already covered by Tesla (flat bottom), some don't apply to an EV (using lighter viscosity engine oil), but there are a lot of others that could help. 65+ Vehicle modifications for better fuel economy - EcoModder.com

Here's a post in that same forum where specific wind tunnel tests on a specific car showed what could be gained Drag reduction modifications in wind tunnel: Audi A2 from Cd 0.288 to 0.204 - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com

I was reminded of an old forum I used to visit in the late 2000s, where there was a lot of info on mods for better fuel efficiency, hypermiling, and EV conversions. Here's a compilation of aerodynamic mods that are worth a look. Some of them are already covered by Tesla (flat bottom), some don't apply to an EV (using lighter viscosity engine oil), but there are a lot of others that could help. 65+ Vehicle modifications for better fuel economy - EcoModder.com

Here's a post in that same forum where specific wind tunnel tests on a specific car showed what could be gained Drag reduction modifications in wind tunnel: Audi A2 from Cd 0.288 to 0.204 - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com
And another similar project car: Aerocivic - Honda Civic modifications for maximum gas mileage - aerocivic.com

Maybe you could adapt an updated version of some of his mods?

Reactions: android04
You know, an easy test for drag reduction by lowering could be done with any Model X or S with air suspension. Drive on the freeway at a given speed for a given stretch at very low height, then do the same thing at normal. Repeat a couple of times. This sounds like something that someone would have already tried, actually.

You know, an easy test for drag reduction by lowering could be done with any Model X or S with air suspension. Drive on the freeway at a given speed for a given stretch at very low height, then do the same thing at normal. Repeat a couple of times. This sounds like something that someone would have already tried, actually.
I believe that they won't let you drive above a certain speed at Very Low, and will automatically lift up to a higher setting.