Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking so bad I want to return my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for posting your tests. White trucks (especially semis) would match very well with the profile of that the trucks that have led to fatal accidents (or near fatal) with Teslas on AP. This adds more evidence to my point that Tesla may have tuned the system to be more "scared" of trucks.
Phantom Breaking so bad I want to return my car.
Phantom Breaking so bad I want to return my car.
Yes. But overwhelmingly white trucks. And sometimes it was a white car. It was so obvious that I would hover my foot over the accelerator if I saw a white truck (sometimes it was a white anything because it was too distant to tell) coming, but relaxed the rest of the time. One exception was the orange semi. Other colors just didn't do the same thing.

I have 2022.4.5.3, if it makes a difference.

Last edited:
I don’t think people understand that this is a very difficult problem to fix. The car brakes because it detects an adverse condition (mistakenly), and until it can figures out the what is real and what is not, the problem remains. For example, when it is just a shadow and not the real thing etc…
Doesn’t matter how difficult it is…fix it, or deliver an alternative (dumb cruise would be one, for example), or do something else. To have had this continue for the almost 5 years Model 3’s have been on the road is testimony to either not caring and prioritizing this, or writing off as anecdotal edge cases those who experience it. I’m resigned to never seeing a solution on my Model 3.

Yes, Autosteer (beta) which is basically equivalent to lane keeping assist. Sorry for the confusion. Coming from Subaru I think of it as that.

I had another observation today (250 miles of dual lane). I had Autosteer enabled but not engaged and was using TACC. I still had those little slowdowns but not the big ones. Then, I tried disabling Autosteer (beta). Where you have to have the car in park to reenable it. I went the next 50 miles without even a slowdown. Then I had a couple, but nothing much. Very nice to drive. I have to think that the biggest cause of the slowdowns is Autosteer, not TACC. Even when it isn't engaged, but it is enabled, it seems to be doing something. Maybe chance, too but I don't think so.

When the slowdowns occurred I'd say 95% of the time a white (or silver) vehicle was coming at me in the other lane. Usually a truck. Once it was a big orange truck. The rest of the time big trucks, even red ones, it ignored.

We did have about 15 miles of divided highway driving for which we used TACC only, no Autosteer. No events at all.

So maybe Autosteer is baby FSB and that's where the majority of overcautiousness is coming from. Again, that's just our car but I would love it if someone else could try the same experiment.

Thanks for this - I've wondered how much other systems (i.e. FSD, auto steer) 'cross react' and affect TACC and if they could be contributing to phantom braking/slowing. Your experiment supports the theory that they do. I hadn't even thought/realized that auto steer could be deactivated in the settings screen. Good idea to try it!

This also means there's more pieces to the phantom braking puzzle that people likely aren't even aware of and it's probably multiple causes, not just one. next time i'm taking a longer drive I'll have to try disabling FSD and auto steer to see if I can notice a difference.

Reactions: DrGriz
Thanks for this - I've wondered how much other systems (i.e. FSD, auto steer) 'cross react' and affect TACC and if they could be contributing to phantom braking/slowing. Your experiment supports the theory that they do. I hadn't even thought/realized that auto steer could be deactivated in the settings screen. Good idea to try it!

This also means there's more pieces to the phantom braking puzzle that people likely aren't even aware of and it's probably multiple causes, not just one. next time i'm taking a longer drive I'll have to try disabling FSD and auto steer to see if I can notice a difference.
I look forward to hearing what you find. I think you are correct, and that AEB is a separate consideration and has issues. It's hard to tell with only one car and a day or two's experience.

My guess is that Tesla focusing on FSD beta, on the assumption that PB will be resolved when autonomous features are integrated into a single stack.
And therein lies the problem. PB is real at least for more than one of us, and it’s today’s issue. And you’re correct: it’s only as assumption that it will be resolved at some unknown future point. That could also be called hope. For me, I’d much rather a car manufacturer deal with existing problems while separating designing for the near- and far-term future.

Reactions: DeepFrz
I look forward to hearing what you find. I think you are correct, and that AEB is a separate consideration and has issues. It's hard to tell with only one car and a day or two's experience.
To be fair, many cars have had issues with AEB, not just Tesla. There seem to be a lot reports and reports of lawsuits lately, too. I can think of a few possible reasons:
  • More cars have the feature so there will be more reports
  • There are more reports and publicity so people tend to notice and report their problems more (publicity confirmation bias)
  • The feature is still relatively new and it's just taken this long to get enough reports of problems
  • Automakers are chaining their systems (switching from radar to vision or making them more sensitive to have fewer false negatives) so there are more false postives.
Like I've said, Tesla's seems to be worse than average but that's a really hard comparison to make. You may be right in that Tesla has had a few high-profile accidents that caused negative publicity so they tweaked their algorithms to be more sensitive and in doing so increased the incidence of false positives.

It's rather frustrating if that's the case. Phantom braking can actually cause accidents by disrupting the traffic around you and leading to people rear-ending you (or rear ending the people who brake for you.) Many have dismissed that issues by saying it's the other drivers' responsibility to pay attention to the road and not follow too close, but isn't it also the Tesla drivers' responsibility to pay attention to the road (and all the white trucks) so the system doesn't need to be so trigger happy?
And therein lies the problem. PB is real at least for more than one of us, and it’s today’s issue. And you’re correct: it’s only as assumption that it will be resolved at some unknown future point. That could also be called hope. For me, I’d much rather a car manufacturer deal with existing problems while separating designing for the near- and far-term future.
I think it's pretty clear that PB is a problem for a large number of people. Tesla may have overpromised and overextended itself. I suspect there has been increasing pressure to deliver on the FSD promises, requiring a lot of resources to be devoted to that project. They (Tesla) may be making the assumption that FSD advances will fix the PB problems but I'd far rather they have an isolated, reliable adaptive cruise feature. That would give the people who don't care about AutoPilot or FSD a much better experience.
Also, it is worth noting that Autosteer is labeled "beta" in my non FSD car. TACC is not.
Are you sure? I just took a quick look at all 4 manuals online and each one has it listed as beta:

To be fair, many cars have had issues with AEB, not just Tesla. There seem to be a lot reports and reports of lawsuits lately, too. I can think of a few possible reasons:
  • More cars have the feature so there will be more reports
  • There are more reports and publicity so people tend to notice and report their problems more (publicity confirmation bias)
  • The feature is still relatively new and it's just taken this long to get enough reports of problems
  • Automakers are chaining their systems (switching from radar to vision or making them more sensitive to have fewer false negatives) so there are more false postives.
Like I've said, Tesla's seems to be worse than average but that's a really hard comparison to make. You may be right in that Tesla has had a few high-profile accidents that caused negative publicity so they tweaked their algorithms to be more sensitive and in doing so increased the incidence of false positives.

It's rather frustrating if that's the case. Phantom braking can actually cause accidents by disrupting the traffic around you and leading to people rear-ending you (or rear ending the people who brake for you.) Many have dismissed that issues by saying it's the other drivers' responsibility to pay attention to the road and not follow too close, but isn't it also the Tesla drivers' responsibility to pay attention to the road (and all the white trucks) so the system doesn't need to be so trigger happy?

I think it's pretty clear that PB is a problem for a large number of people. Tesla may have overpromised and overextended itself. I suspect there has been increasing pressure to deliver on the FSD promises, requiring a lot of resources to be devoted to that project. They (Tesla) may be making the assumption that FSD advances will fix the PB problems but I'd far rather they have an isolated, reliable adaptive cruise feature. That would give the people who don't care about AutoPilot or FSD a much better experience.

Are you sure? I just took a quick look at all 4 manuals online and each one has it listed as beta:

I'll take a picture when I am next in the car. I guess I could be mistaken about that but it stuck with me that way.

Reactions: sleepydoc
I love the argument car-splaining Tesla’s Phantom Braking by saying others do this as well. Well gee, now I feel a lot better about my crappy experience. It’s a bit like ”but Mommy, Jimmy’s mom let’s him do it and he hasn’t gone blind. Why can’t I?” Sorta.

• Informative
Reactions: WhiteWi
I have PB issues constantly on my way to work on a 2 lane hwy in the dark. My first 25 miles is on 2 lane, and the last 15 miles has fewer PB issues. After that I am on a 4 lane divided Hwy and have near zero PB episodes. On the way home, in the daylight, there is one door on the divided Hwy where at the crest of a hill the pavement changes colors due to replaving that it does a PB event, but other than that TACC is flawless on the 4 lane and 2 lane for me in daylight.

Reactions: gt2690b
TACC is not labeled beta in my non-FSD car...auto steer is. It's really poor cause the manual says both are.
@sleepydoc
1647785350251.png

Autosteer is the only thing on that page labeled "beta". I believe you have shown that the manual refers to TACC as beta. It is interesting that Autosteer is called out particularly, since you would assume everything in Autopilot is beta.

Maybe there are levels of beta similar to Dante's levels of hell.

Nope, not true. Radar-equipped and radar-using cars experience the same…mine does. Elon once tweeted that going all vision would eliminate phantom braking as radar was causing it. Didn’t turn out that way.
I’ve owned 7-8 cars with adaptive cruise from all sorts of brands. Only car that phantom braked was a 2014 CTS. Everything else was perfect. My most recent a genesis gv70 was perfect in every regard on all sorts of roads.

Reactions: bob00