Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Perpendicular parking in driveway?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been watching videos of the automatic parallel and perpendicular parking feature, and I'm wondering whether this would let it automatically back into a driveway. As far as I can tell, it needs to automatically detect a parking spot and then offer the park option, but it might not recognize the driveway as a spot. Anyone have any experience with this?

This is one thing I could care less about. After owning two cars that can park and unpark themselves, it’s a feature I pretty much never use. I’ll try it every now and again to see how well it works when no one is around. 80% of the time it works, the other 20% of the time it fails miserably. I’ve tried it on a MX, and it worked well, and was cool because you don’t have to work the gear shift , or brakes, but other than that.... whatever. Just my $.02.

• Helpful
Reactions: Electric Steve
It needs to sense large objects like cars on both sides of a potential parking space
The opening of the driveway is usually flanked on both sides by parallel-parked cars, which is why I'd like the Tesla to deal with the PITA of backing into it in tight quarters. But, no, it doesn't sound like this matches either the parallel or perpendicular parking scenarios that the Tesla is designed to handle.

What I do now is go in head-first and then turn around with a k-turn onto my lawn. I guess I could do that with the Tesla, although I'd worry about the slope and the risk of cosmetic damage, as well as maybe breaking off the edge of the asphalt.

If I don't turn it around, getting the charging cable to reach might be a bit harder, and then I'd have to deal with trying to back out onto the street with minimal visibility.

This is one thing I could care less about. After owning two cars that can park and unpark themselves, it’s a feature I pretty much never use. I’ll try it every now and again to see how well it works when no one is around. 80% of the time it works, the other 20% of the time it fails miserably. I’ve tried it on a MX, and it worked well, and was cool because you don’t have to work the gear shift , or brakes, but other than that.... whatever. Just my $.02.
I appreciate the input. If self-parking is a parlor trick, like smart summon is right now, then I should save it for impressing people, not use it daily. It does sound like Tesla's version is useful, but not in my scenario.

If it is a straight and flat driveway you can always use summon to back the car in though you may have to set a very large rear clearance distance so the car will stop outside the garage.
Yes, summon would probably let me back the car up, but that's not really the hard part for me.

People park on both sides of the narrow, one-way street, so while it's possible to turn away from my driveway and back up, it's not easy. At that point, backing up isn't so much about going straight as ensuring that I'm positioned perfectly in the first place, so that a straight line doesn't take me into the low walls to either side of the entrance.

How about marking a parking spot on your pavement with one of these, and you can try if the car recognises it?
If it works you can go for a more permanent solution.
https://www.amazon.com/Krylon-5894-Marking-Chalk-White/dp/B000PJ67M6/View attachment 521168
That's an interesting idea, but from the above discussion, I don't see it working. Sounds like I need to give up and get used to the k-turn.

Right now, it's a dirt driveway, but I'm adding asphalt. Maybe I need a concrete curb on the lawn side to protect the edge of the asphalt when I turn onto the grass. One more expense...

The opening of the driveway is usually flanked on both sides by parallel-parked cars, which is why I'd like the Tesla to deal with the PITA of backing into it in tight quarters. But, no, it doesn't sound like this matches either the parallel or perpendicular parking scenarios that the Tesla is designed to handle.

What I do now is go in head-first and then turn around with a k-turn onto my lawn. I guess I could do that with the Tesla, although I'd worry about the slope and the risk of cosmetic damage, as well as maybe breaking off the edge of the asphalt.

If I don't turn it around, getting the charging cable to reach might be a bit harder, and then I'd have to deal with trying to back out onto the street with minimal visibility.

i agree, it's a very picky system just to get it to work. i forgot to mention that you also need to drive slowly past the two objects for it to register in it's "brain" that there could be a potential spot. this happens a lot during regular driving that it's quite comical to see the "P" pop up on the screen suggesting it will park itself between stopped traffic.

do you have a picture of your driveway you don't mind sharing and where you are trying to go from/to?

i agree, it's a very picky system just to get it to work. i forgot to mention that you also need to drive slowly past the two objects for it to register in it's "brain" that there could be a potential spot. this happens a lot during regular driving that it's quite comical to see the "P" pop up on the screen suggesting it will park itself between stopped traffic.

do you have a picture of your driveway you don't mind sharing and where you are trying to go from/to?
Yeah, this video, while generally positive about the performance of self-parking, says that the Tesla offered to "park" him right into his landscaping.

I don't have a picture handy, but I think I can describe it clearly enough.

It's a narrow residential street, with parked cars on both sides, barely wide enough for two-way traffic. My driveway opening usually has a car parked to either side of it. The driveway itself has concrete walls to either side, right after the sidewalk, so the car would have to squeeze in between.

This is easy enough when going in head-first. To back up into it, which I've never even tried, I'd have to turn away from the opening, line myself up, and reverse.

Does that make sense?

Yeah, this video, while generally positive about the performance of self-parking, says that the Tesla offered to "park" him right into his landscaping.

I don't have a picture handy, but I think I can describe it clearly enough.

It's a narrow residential street, with parked cars on both sides, barely wide enough for two-way traffic. My driveway opening usually has a car parked to either side of it. The driveway itself has concrete walls to either side, right after the sidewalk, so the car would have to squeeze in between.

This is easy enough when going in head-first. To back up into it, which I've never even tried, I'd have to turn away from the opening, line myself up, and reverse.

Does that make sense?

yes, it sounds pretty tight. i wouldn't rely on auto park or even summon, no matter how confident it says it is. i'd hate to risk damage to car or other cars or wall just for a "hey look what i can do" stuart moment, lol.

Reactions: Electric Steve
yes, it sounds pretty tight. i wouldn't rely on auto park or even summon, no matter how confident it says it is. i'd hate to risk damage to car or other cars or wall just for a "hey look what i can do" stuart moment, lol.
I can't disagree. My goal in the first place was to avoid the k-turns onto the raised lawn, much less trying to back into my driveway manually. But it just doesn't look like the self-parking feature does anything relevant.

I had to ask. I asked. Now I know. Thanks.

Reactions: forkee
The 2021.44.25.2 release works great for both parallel and perpendicular parking and recognizes spaces with vision using parking stripes. It does not need adjacent cars. I have used it several times with 100% success. HOWEVER I cannot get it to recognize my driveway as a parking place. I have "created a space with white duct tape and extended the lines about a foot into the back alley but it will not give me the P symbol from either direction? Any suggestions?

On a side note, the system does seem to take more up/back cycles than I would need especially for parallel parking. I would think their software could calculate or do simulations to derive the most efficient parking sequence without so many wheel cycles!

Attachments

• 2021-12-27 11.55.36.jpg
    2021-12-27 11.55.36.jpg
    526.9 KB · Views: 40