Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance vs. Non-Performance & an extra $10K

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. Get the performance if the finances are not a problem. If you're going to keep this car for 10 years or so then you'll probably wish you had gotten it at some point. 19" wheels makes sense it that's what you want.
Hmm, I could afford it (maybe, TSLA has been crushed so I couldn't as it stands), but the opportunity cost of $12,000 is pretty big (the differential if you want 19" tires).

For $12000 the wife and I could renovate the kitchen, put in hardwood floors, take a vacation to New Zealand, etc. Will the perf, even over 10 years, really match some of that? I just don't know. I've said before, at $8500 (the differential if you want 21" tires) I'd probably go for it. At $12000, I'm feeling like there are more enjoyable things to do with that money. I'm undecided.

If you can sell someone the performance rims for $2,000 (not easy but doable since they are $3,500 for the sliver 21" wheels and the performance wheels only come in the package) that might make it a little better. You're right though, there are so many more constructive things the money could go towards but you could also say that about the Model S as well. It's definitely a judgment call. Think about how much quicker you'll get to work and all the extra time at the end of the day you'll have at home (maybe it doesn't work like that).

If you add the 21" wheels, air suspension, and leather to a standard 85kWh Model S, the only extras the Performance model has over the other, is the killer motor, a CF wing, and piping on the leather... that's an $8500 delta. That's pretty small difference for a whole lotta BHP off the line, or passing a car on the highway. ;)

I have to make exactly the same decision. I made a firm commitment to myself to just get the MS85 and pretend the MSP doesn't exist, but it's an open question as to whether I'll be able to stick to it.

In terms of advertising, there is no better model than the Performance. Beyond the wow factor, its the only version with an MSRP that is less than its notable ICE competition. Every other model has a higher starting price than its competitors and it takes complicated math to make the case that you are saving money. With MSP, you can impress your friends with its performance and with your thriftiness.

Plus, having a fast car is an extremely satisfying experience. There is nothing better than mashing the throttle and watching the world blur. So, I'll go with the folks who say that if you can afford it, you should just get it. But when the time comes I still hope I ignore my own advice and just get the perfectly awesome MS85 :)

I have to make exactly the same decision. I made a firm commitment to myself to just get the MS85 and pretend the MSP doesn't exist, but it's an open question as to whether I'll be able to stick to it.

In terms of advertising, there is no better model than the Performance. Beyond the wow factor, its the only version with an MSRP that is less than its notable ICE competition. Every other model has a higher starting price than its competitors and it takes complicated math to make the case that you are saving money. With MSP, you can impress your friends with its performance and with your thriftiness.

Plus, having a fast car is an extremely satisfying experience. There is nothing better than mashing the throttle and watching the world blur. So, I'll go with the folks who say that if you can afford it, you should just get it. But when the time comes I still hope I ignore my own advice and just get the perfectly awesome MS85 :)

I think there's a lot of us "junkies" just trying to not fall off the wagon on this one. But if you do, as my daughter always says "go big or go home!" (Scary thing to hear from your daughter, btw)

Funny here was my thought process: ...I had oringinally every intention of only getting the $49k version (after tax rebate). Then it was the 85kw for the range. Then I figured if spending that much, just spend a little more and get the Performance. In the short and long run, I wouldn't miss the extra money it cost. I couldn't be happier with my decision....a super fast, long range EV.

Of course the Interior doesn't match the comfort of a Lexus GS450h 2013, but that's okay I guess.

Funny here was my thought process: ...I had oringinally every intention of only getting the $49k version (after tax rebate). Then it was the 85kw for the range. Then I figured if spending that much, just spend a little more and get the Performance. In the short and long run, I wouldn't miss the extra money it cost. I couldn't be happier with my decision....a super fast, long range EV.

Because that's how they started out advertising this thing- $49k (after tax incentive). Hooked us all. I wouldn't have looked twice if they started out talking $80k+. Now I'm toying with $89K vs $100K. How did I get here. Who doped my drink?!

I've given a lot of thought to this question as well. I'm P889, and just finished my configuration. I went with the non-performance 85kw Model S. It wouldn't make sense to me to get the MSP with 19" wheels, and I live in Utah and would not be able to use the 21" wheels in the winter which means I would need to buy an additional set of 19" wheels with winter tires, and figure out how to store the off set.

In the end, the cost difference added up quickly. I decided that the standard Model S is 'fast enough,' and that if I really want real speed and top acceleration, that I could put the cost difference into TSLA (good buy right now, right?) which would make a nice start in saving for the next generation Roadster, or even a used current Roadster in a few years.

I guess because I'm used to driving an Acura TL as opposed to the souped up BMWs the rest of you drive I'm more impressionable, but I drove the standard S and it completely blew me away. I didn't drive the Performance to compare, but I'm already having to adjust my budget to account for speeding tickets and insurance hikes from driving Model S.

I guess because I'm used to driving an Acura TL as opposed to the souped up BMWs the rest of you drive I'm more impressionable, but I drove the standard S and it completely blew me away. I didn't drive the Performance to compare, but I'm already having to adjust my budget to account for speeding tickets and insurance hikes from driving Model S.

I'll be trading in my Acura TSX for my model S - imagine how I felt during my test drive!

Tell me about it! Managed to get caught speeding (yet again) in a rental Camry, for crying out loud, near Sacramento a week ago :crying: I'll have to learn to drive my Model S conservatively...