Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Model 3 acceleration much closer to P100D... in real-life situations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have Dragy ...plenty of posts and u can look at acceleration graphs ..forkee who posted the original p3 0-60 I believe he said it didn’t compare to his dads P90D...there is another member who posted that it compares more to his P85D....I did test drive a P3 at La Jolla ...and it did feel like my P85D pre Luda ..what Tesla are you currently driving ? Thanks

I'm interested in measured numbers more than feelings. ;) I'm driving a first production RWD Model 3 and have driven an S75D and X75D. But even if I had driven the faster versions, I'd be more interested in actualy numbers than my own seat of the pants measurements.

I'm interested in measured numbers more than feelings. ;) I'm driving a first production RWD Model 3 and have driven an S75D and X75D. But even if I had driven the faster versions, I'd be more interested in actualy numbers than my own seat of the pants measurements.

Yes ...the dragy numbers I have seen show the S X are still faster ..but coming from forkee who measured his car(P3) and looking at list I posted above..his number is below mine .. even the P85Ds are still quicker ...hopefully these numbers alone are not what sways a buyer ..;):eek:... the P3 or any 3s are still great cars !

You are saying the P3D feels slower than an E90/E90 M3? I've driven both - P3D blows last gen and current gen M3 out of the water from a seat of the pants perspective. At least in my opinion. I do agree an agressive exhaust makes you feel like you are going quicker than you are.

No, I don't think it felt slower. I somewhat carefully selected the word powerful because it was the best way I could summarize the feeling. It may be because the M3 has not been my DD for a few months, and I am used to and comparing it more to the P100D, but the p3d just didn't seem exhilarating for some reason. Like I said, I can't really put my finger on it, and I really want to love the p3d for so many reasons, but I just didn't feel excited like I do driving the other two. Maybe I'm just crazy, or maybe I was just having an off day. I will have to find a chasnce to try it again to be sure.

Reactions: P85_DA
Of course 1 frame does not equal 0.3s. That would be slightly more than 3 frames per second. ;) Yes, I understand that it is actually 0.03333333333 (etc), but the difference between that and 0.03 is negligible.

The Dragy numbers I've seen so far were all uphill runs in a car with 18s.

Not saying you are wrong about the tires etc....

but I don't really think the difference is negligible....maybe I'm terrible at math.

110 frames @ 0.03 s/f = 3.3s
110 frames @ 0.03333333333333333333333s/f = 3.66 s

No, I don't think it felt slower. I somewhat carefully selected the word powerful because it was the best way I could summarize the feeling. It may be because the M3 has not been my DD for a few months, and I am used to and comparing it more to the P100D, but the p3d just didn't seem exhilarating for some reason. Like I said, I can't really put my finger on it, and I really want to love the p3d for so many reasons, but I just didn't feel excited like I do driving the other two. Maybe I'm just crazy, or maybe I was just having an off day. I will have to find a chasnce to try it again to be sure.

Do you recall what the SoC of P3D was? Thanks for your feedback I appreciate it. I haven't driven a P100D unfortunately :)

I'm still on the fence, AWD or Performance.

Not saying you are wrong about the tires etc....

but I don't really think the difference is negligible....maybe I'm terrible at math.

110 frames @ 0.03 s/f = 3.3s
110 frames @ 0.03333333333333333333333s/f = 3.66 s

No... that's not at all how it works. at 30fps, accuracy is within 0.03s (so the result may be 3.22s plus or minus a few hundredths). There are no cumulative errors unless something is wrong with the recorded framerate vs the playback framerate.

but the p3d just didn't seem exhilarating for some reason. Like I said, I can't really put my finger on it, and I really want to love the p3d for so many reasons, but I just didn't feel excited like I do driving the other two. Maybe I'm just crazy, or maybe I was just having an off day. I will have to find a chasnce to try it again to be sure.

Just a theory: maybe the acceleration curve (if that's what it's called) is different, such that the P3D accelerates a bit slower right at the start, but increases acceleration later. So maybe you get more punch later in the launch but the start feels a bit underwhelming, relatively speaking.

For the record, I don't know what I'm talking about :) .... I have no fact to support this idea. But who knows.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark and P85_DA
No... that's not at all how it works. at 30fps, accuracy is within 0.03s (so the result may be 3.22s plus or minus a few hundredths). There are no cumulative errors unless something is wrong with the recorded framerate vs the playback framerate.

Ok, like I said either you are right or they are, and it seems like you may be - I don't have any editing software etc. I thought people were just counting frames.

I still am skeptical the car hit 3.2x with 3 adults in the car - but if it did and it was the tires, first thing im doing next spring is ordering new pilot 4s'. :)

Ok, like I said either you are right or they are, and it seems like you may be - I don't have any editing software etc. I thought people were just counting frames.

I still am skeptical the car hit 3.2x with 3 adults in the car - but if it did and it was the tires, first thing im doing next spring is ordering new pilot 4s'. :)

Yeah... my editing software very accurately calculates times based on a file's reported framerate. I don't have to do any math myself apart from marking which frames I want to use as the start and end points.

00C584C0-16F4-47F7-A35A-2171F5C31F51.jpeg
4D0859CF-814B-4C44-BE79-FCE0C63225AD.jpeg
Here are some numbers first shot me..second Forkee

Just a theory: maybe the acceleration curve (if that's what it's called) is different, such that the P3D accelerates a bit slower right at the start, but increases acceleration later. So maybe you get more punch later in the launch but the start feels a bit underwhelming, relatively speaking.

For the record, I don't know what I'm talking about :) .... I have no fact to support this idea. But who knows.

This is actually one thing I was thinking... and it would totally affect the seat-of-the-pants impression.

Reactions: Carl_Drogo