Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Model 3 acceleration much closer to P100D... in real-life situations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something I've noticed from the numbers we are seeing so far...

On paper, Model S P100D acceleration to 60mph is one full second better than the Performance Model 3. But in real world driving, it's a lot closer than that. Ludicrous is pretty much only useful for launches where you have time to setup the option. You obviously wouldn't typically do this at a stoplight or an onramp. Or to pass someone quickly. From what I've read, P100D 0-60mph has been measured at about 2.9s if you don't take the time to prepare a Ludicrous Launch. The Performance Model 3, on the other hand, doesn't have Ludicrous (yet), so the rated acceleration is always available with no setup. P3D with the Performance Package has seen 0-60mph runs measured at 3.2s.

So, in the real world, where you aren't taking several seconds to setup a launch, the difference in 0-60 between a P100D Model S and a fully optioned P3D is only about 0.3s. This also applies at the track (other than a dragstrip), where the Ludicrous option pretty much would never be used.

I get that as casual stoplight racers they might feel similar...but...

I'm pretty sure the P100D is getting 2.9s to 60 w/o any rollout.

The videos that claim their P3D is doing 0-60 in 3.2 didn't math right.

Maybe with sticky 18" wheels the P3D can do 3.3-3.4, so maybe 3.1-3.2 depending on how you calculate roll out, but apples to apples I think the P100D is a solid 0.5 seconds faster no matter how you slice it. That's quite a bit in the 0-60 world.

That being said I'm changing from a P90DL to a P3D because $.

I preface this with the fact this is obviously my very subjective opinion, and is just what I am wrestling with trying to decide if I should pick up a p3d:

I test drove a p3d yesterday, and while I did like the handling and size much more than my X, it didn't feel anywhere near as quick as my X P100D. I can't put my finger on it, but it just left me wanting more overall. As best as I can figure, the X satiates the all-out adrenaline rush of quick acceleration, while my BMW M3, while measurably slower accelerating than the p3d, feels more powerful. The latter I am sure comes down the the deep grumble of a v8 when you put your foot down, I assume my primitive subconscious is just programmed to "know" that it's a fast car based on that sound and feel. I thought the p3d would be a perfect compromise for me between the two, but after my very brief test drive I left feeling that if I had all 3 in my garage, I would very seldom choose the p3d. I would grab the X 90+% of the time, except for an occasional trip with the M3 when I expected some tight turns I could thrash it around.

With all of that said, if I wasn't already used to driving a P100D around (by the way, I always have ludicrous on and don't need to enable it ever to use it at almost every light or for quick passes with no warning), I imagine I would be quite thrilled by the p3d over just about any ICE car. I think I just doomed myself by getting the P100D first.

The videos that claim their P3D is doing 0-60 in 3.2 didn't math right.

I disagree with this. I took the second 0-60 run from this video and put into my video editor:

I measured from the first frame the camera and the passengers' heads moved at all (well before the speedo read 1mph) to the first frame where the speedo read 60mph. At 30fps, this would give you .03s resolution. I ended up with 3.22s.

Luda + is what needs warmup ...I posted a dragy run of my XP100D on sport with ~60% SOC and got 3.4 ...so not sure how OP formulated his theory on original post

It would be interesting to see what you get in Sport at closer to 100% SOC.

Other posts I've seen that discuss MS P100D 0-60 without Ludicrous seem to have 2.9s as the consensus. If there is different info available, I'd certainly be interested in seeing it.

Reactions: P85_DA
I disagree with this. I took the second 0-60 run from this video and put into my video editor:

I measured from the first frame the camera and the passengers' heads moved at all (well before the speedo read 1mph) to the first frame where the speedo read 60mph. At 30fps, this would give you .03s resolution. I ended up with 3.22s.

On the other threads people were saying it was 3s and 21/30 frames or something, which would be 3.6xs, not 3.21s. Sounds like you may be correct, assuming you are doing it correctly and they weren't.

When the speedometer reads 60 it's likely not actually 60, but slightly less - so less accurate than dragy/vbox.

It also doesn't make a ton of sense that a car rated at 3.5 will do 3.22 with 3 adults in the car when the other Dragy results are all getting 3.5-3.6s.

EDIT: Also, you can't take 1 frame = 0.3s. 1 frame = 0.0333333333333333s.

It would be interesting to see what you get in Sport at closer to 100% SOC.

Other posts I've seen that discuss P100D 0-60 without Ludicrous seem to have 2.9s as the consensus. If there is different info available, I'd certainly be interested in seeing it.
If you have Dragy ...plenty of posts and u can look at acceleration graphs ..forkee who posted the original p3 0-60 I believe he said it didn’t compare to his dads P90D...there is another member who posted that it compares more to his P85D....I did test drive a P3 at La Jolla ...and it did feel like my P85D pre Luda ..what Tesla are you currently driving ? Thanks

Reactions: forkee
Here are some numbers I’m at 6 in sport mode :(:(
  • 1B3E0E0C-977E-40B8-9CF5-7F09DCC6CF48.png

• Disagree
  • Love
Reactions: forkee and bhzmark
Ludicrous is pretty much only useful for launches where you have time to setup the option. You obviously wouldn't typically do this at a stoplight or an onramp. Or to pass someone quickly. From what I've read, P100D 0-60mph has been measured at about 2.9s if you don't take the time to prepare a Ludicrous Launch.
Incorrect. You're thinking of Launch Mode and/or Max Battery, not Ludicrous mode.

As best as I can figure, the X satiates the all-out adrenaline rush of quick acceleration, while my BMW M3, while measurably slower accelerating than the p3d, feels more powerful. The latter I am sure comes down the the deep grumble of a v8 when you put your foot down,

You are saying the P3D feels slower than an E90/E90 M3? I've driven both - P3D blows last gen and current gen M3 out of the water from a seat of the pants perspective. At least in my opinion. I do agree an agressive exhaust makes you feel like you are going quicker than you are.

On the other threads people were saying it was 3s and 21/30 frames or something, which would be 3.6xs, not 3.21s. Sounds like you may be correct, assuming you are doing it correctly and they weren't.

When the speedometer reads 60 it's likely not actually 60, but slightly less - so less accurate than dragy/vbox.

It also doesn't make a ton of sense that a car rated at 3.5 will do 3.22 with 3 adults in the car when the other Dragy results are all getting 3.5-3.6s.

EDIT: Also, you can't take 1 frame = 0.3s. 1 frame = 0.0333333333333333s.

Of course 1 frame does not equal 0.3s. That would be slightly more than 3 frames per second. ;) Yes, I understand that it is actually 0.03333333333 (etc), but the difference between that and 0.03 is negligible.

The Dragy numbers I've seen so far were all uphill runs in a car with 18s.