Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pending Orders: Should we convert?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The double order thing resolves itself when HQ moves the $. Just happened to me today as well. Kudos to Tesla for quelling some of the criticism of this communication issues relating to the D and Autopilot rollout by letting people change confirmed orders.

As to OP question: If you were going to buy P85+at $120k+, it's a no-brainer IMHO to do P85D, but the jump from P85 to P85D is about as much as it was to go from S85 to P85. Before D I was wrangling with S85 vs P85 (19" wheels), which was ~$15-17k difference. When D came out it was about $30k difference in how I would have chosen to configure each car (21" wheels required etc.), which was just too much of a difference, especially given this car will be a freeway commuter. I have a feeling that S85D is going to perform VERY nicely (as evidenced by my order). I wouldn't be surprised if it's about as nicely-performing car as the current P85 given the dual motors, computer-controlled torque vectoring, etc. Remember that even the S85 can't keep the wheels planted when floored from a stop without traction control coming on.

Was I hoping the S85D would be a little closer in power/acceleration numbers to current P85? Yes. That said, I think this dual-motor AWD is going to prove a bigger game-changer than some people are giving Elon and Tesla credit for. I think you will see RWD order numbers plummet once people get behind the wheel of the D cars. As I posted somewhere else, think Audi quattro. Those cars just feel planted under power, and an advanced AWD system like this can add "usable power" even if the raw HP and 0-60 numbers aren't what you might get from a bigger motor.

It somewhat feels like the P85 is the odd man out in this discussion, doesn't it? S85D gets better range, is sneaking closer to P85 (although not too much closer) in performance, but with AWD could potentially put more of that HP to the pavement without breaking traction. P85D is certainly what the money-no-object thrill seeker is going to buy now. The price difference between S85D and P85D similarly equipped could be as much as $30k, but I am not sure the current P85 is a proper midpoint between the two, especially if you're an AWD sport sedan fan. So you take a small performance hit and keep some $ or go full-blownsies.

Many will likely differ, but I feel today's P85 is now yesterday's P85. My vote is S85D or P85D, not P85. From there I say let your wallet and driving style dictate. If the 130k isn't and issue, you don't put tons of miles on it and can handle the $$ 21" tire changes, P85D could work. It certainly seems to be an electrifying experience off the line. My sales rep rode in it at the D event and said it's as nuts as it seemed from the online videos and then some. But for my situation he steered me towards S85D.

Last edited:
Autopilot features will be on your current order. It will be on all Model S from now on:

"New Safety Features and AutopilotThe launch of Dual Motor Model S coincides with the introduction of a standard hardware package that will enable autopilot functionality. Every single Model S now rolling out of the factory includes a forward radar, 12 long range ultrasonic sensors positioned to sense 16 feet around the car in every direction at all speeds, a forward looking camera, and a high precision, digitally controlled electric assist braking system.
Building on this hardware with future software releases, we will deliver a range of active safety features, using digital control of motors, brakes, and steering to avoid collisions from the front, sides, or from leaving the road."

There's a lot of conflicting information about this. Over on Reddit somebody said they got a response from their DS that their car (confirmed last month) would NOT have Autopilot convenience features, only the safety features, despite having the tech package.

The "old" tech package didn't have it, but the "new" one does, and his DS advised him to change his order to the new tech package. This sounds like utter nonsense to me-- either you have the tech package or you don't, regardless of when you ordered. If you have the tech package (which I do on my August order), and you have the hardware, then you should have the full Autopilot capability. But that doesn't seem to be the case-- there could be some software-imposed limitation if you ordered your car with Tech Package prior to the announcement of Autopilot.

Then again apparently lots of DS's are saying different things. I emailed mine tonight so we'll see what happens.

BTW, the "view design" option is gone from my reservation page, so I can't even confirm what my car will have.

When I called the Inside Sales department in CA last Friday, I too was told just about verbatim:

The "old" tech package didn't have it, but the "new" one does, and his DS advised him to change his order to the new tech package.

I then opted to upgrade (my third time upgrading since I put my deposit down in 2013) to add the AWD and Autopilot systems. It was a no-brainer for me. The net difference was only $2,500 since the Performance Interior is no longer offered as a stand-alone option which I had on my prior order.

Last edited:
When I called the Inside Sales department in CA last Friday, I too was told just about verbatim:

I then opted to upgrade (my third time upgrading since I put my deposit down in 2013) to add the AWD and Autopilot systems. It was a no-brainer for me. The net difference was only $2,500 since the Performance Interior is no longer offered as a stand-alone option which I had on my prior order.

I wouldn't expect inside sales people to have all the information either. Thinking from a strictly technical standpoint, the only thing that makes sense is either you have the tech package or you don't.

Otherwise, Tesla would have to implement some internal hidden flag in the software that says "hey this car was ordered before October 2014" and arbitrarily set a number of features based on that. Like disable the additional Autopilot features, and by the same token, disable the fog lights if you didn't order fog lights in the old configurator.

But that doesn't appear to be happening; instead, people are getting features they didn't pay for (like parking sensors, which are now just the Autopilot sensors). People who didn't pay for the ability to sense parking obstructions are now getting it, because it's just part of the package.

Autopilot will also just be part of the package, unless Tesla makes an extra effort to cripple the new Tech Package based solely on time of order. Which would be a stupid, unnecessary complication of software configuration, and not consistent with what's being reported by people who have received their cars with more features than they have ordered.

Tesla must find a way to "translate" the old configuration to the new configuration, and I have no idea what my car is being built with now because the option to view my configuration has disappeared from the reservation screen (I ordered tech, parking sensors, rear seats). That certainly doesn't help with all the confusion surrounding this.