Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PEM Failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It doesn't appear they are going to replace the PEM/motor fan unless it has major problems. I'm getting my 12V issue fixed next week but still not able to get them to do the fan. Is that something worth pushing for or is the regular fan ok here in Texas?

They came and did my fans without me asking (incidentally, looks like I had the front fan cowling upgrade since before delivery) but it's pretty humid here.
Thanks. So you weren't having any error messages or problems and they did it as part of a scheduled visit? Do you like it better or does the increased noise bother you? Mine is in a garage so when it's parked, I don't mind more noise.

So you weren't having any error messages or problems and they did it as part of a scheduled visit?

Correct. The changeover takes more than a few minutes as it requires fitting an amended sway bar. And the noise doesn't bother me at all, actually I think the pitch is slightly lower so less "whine" and I don't notice at all when driving, especially now I've got the hard top on for the summer.

Correct. The changeover takes more than a few minutes as it requires fitting an amended sway bar. And the noise doesn't bother me at all, actually I think the pitch is slightly lower so less "whine" and I don't notice at all when driving, especially now I've got the hard top on for the summer.

Thanks. I asked again. It's strange how it's region specific on which cars they're updating. Either it's an issue and they all should be replaced or it isn't. Maybe they simply have a limited supply and are upgrading them as they get them or if they break.

It appears Tesla will upgrade the fan if you live in a really humid or really hot area and the car is showing excessive PEM temps (orange/red bar hits) during the checkups when they view the logs and also if its under warranty. I live in Santa Cruz and commute over to the Bay Area. My roadster is a 1.5 and I see it riding the last blue bar under normal and conservative driving conditions where the outside temp is round 95 degrees F. I'm a little worried, well actually really worried for that the PEM is an electrical component and VERY expensive to replace. Being a QA engineer in the computer hardware field I find that any type of electronic component will fail early when it has excessive heat swings, especially when the ceiling is high for the temp. I agree, the PEM should be fluid cooled to keep the temp more constant and to limit the swings. I have one more year left in the warranty and wondering if I should start hammering the car to bring up the PEM temps and see if it hits the orange/red. I'll try it for a few days and see.

I also agree Tesla should be upgrading all the fans no-matter what area you live in. What if I move out of California, especially to an extremely humid environment. Does that mean after the warranty expires that I'm screwed and the PEM now has a death wish? It also appears from people that dust and salt corrosion kill the older fans, so that's also another upgrade path. Curious if anyone knows the exact cost of a PEM replacement.

I'm very happy with my Roadster, but when I look over it I do see the PEM as being vulnerable just with it spiking in temps. I also agree with Bonnie that we can't speculate in her case that this was indeed a PEM until we get the analysis.

Last edited:
Baby Turtle is on the way to Menlo Park. "Powertrain problems". I was happily heading home from the office, thinking about an EV roadtrip to Oregon this weekend, when everything seized up and no more 'go' to be had.

I'll catch a flight on Sunday instead, it appears. I was looking forward to the drive.

View attachment 6794

Ouch Bonnie! I just saw this.

Any update yet? All fixed and running happy now?
A week without roadster, would cause some suffering from withdrawal.
It hurts me to think about it!
-Richard

I agree Bonnie, super Kudo's to Johnny and the excellent Tesla Customer Service. Truly make you feel like family. If you could and you please elaborate on the failure? I would hate for people to suspect it was one part that caused the failure when it was something totally unrelated. Good day to get your car back, its Sunny and sweet here in Santa Cruz and where you are should be very similar.

Glad all is well with your car.... I would be a nervous wreck without 992 ! I had to pace he floor for three hours when they did last service! Glad it's all fixed up and the world is in balance again. Kudos to Tesla Service ....... Again!

My second PEM failed a few weeks ago. No warning, same message as Bonnie," Powertrain Problem, Restart when Safe". Tesla sent a Ranger up from Seattle and the PEM was replaced with a NEW unit, not rebuilt like the first one. While here the Ranger did the annual service and also upgraded the fans and installed the snow dam. I have to say the service is totally awesome. The Ranger said mine was the only Roadster he knew of that had gone through two PEMS. Heat is not a big issue here,( unless you consider lack of heat!) so I don't think that was a contributing factor. While our fans were replaced with this service the old ones never gave me any trouble and I only cleaned them out once. Our car has 7500 miles on it and is just over a year old.

@PV-EV, Since you live in Alaska possibly the cooling of the PEM has been compromised by snow or lack of ventilation. Do you vigilantly monitor your PEM, Battery, and motor temps? The previous owner of my roadster never even viewed that screen. Its essential for the life and health state of your car to view that data and know what it means.

> Do you vigilantly monitor your PEM, Battery, and motor temps? (wiztecy)

NO, since by default Tesla hides this (and TRIP screen) from view. So as not to limit our irrational exuberance, perhaps(?!).

So, I guess I can give up the Performance & Energy screens in order to allow TEMP & TRIP to be placed in normal rotation.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention!
--