Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paying tesla final balance query?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks
Was going to pick up my car on Saturday and settle up at the same time but was told I had to pay full amount beforehand.ok so I said take my card details but they said they didn't take card payments and I would need to do a bacs transfer.problem is that takes 3 days and tesla finance dept is closed at the weekend.therefore they cant verify if I've paid or not.therefore can't get the car.
Does that sound right.ive never had a problem before when buying a car.they took my deposit by card over the phone without a problem.
Its pissed me off.

I would imagine they'd accept a bank cashier's check. The reason they accept a card for the deposit but not the final purchase is that banks charge a hefty fee for card transactions. They are willing to eat the loss on the comparatively small deposit, but not on the much larger final payment.

Reactions: JHWJR
Bank transfers are generally same day now, depending on how much you need to transfer you may have to do it over several days (my account has a 25k daily limit).

They almost certainly won’t take a bankers cheque or anything like that, not even a £10 touch up pen, it has to be all electronic payment.

Some have refused to pay until they’ve inspected the car.

Yes, was the same for me - required a bank transfer (which is pretty much instantaneous at major banks these day). Knowing this, I had asked to see the car beforehand. Was not allowed to drive it, though. And they checked that they had received the funds before they booked the delivery appointment.

Yes, different from others who usually are happy to take debit cards. I assume it has to do with minimizing overhead within their treasury.

Bank transfers are generally same day now, depending on how much you need to transfer you may have to do it over several days (my account has a 25k daily limit).

That's my experience too. Instant BACS transfer across most major banks (pretty much guaranteed if the same bank receiving) BUT nearly always a daily limit imposed. Think ours is £10K per day (HSBC Premier account). I've come up against this a few times when buying cars or houses. I usually plan ahead and transfer the money over however many days required at the daily limit.

Fortunately my son works for my bank.hsbc,he knows the system inside out and basically instructed the bank employee on the phone on what to do .payment made .but really disappointed on tesla not making it clear on what was required by myself to finalise the deal.
I thought I could turn up on collection day and just pay by card.so much for making things easy.caused me a lot of stress yesterday.

nearly always a daily limit impose

Recommend moving to Handelsbanken which does away with all that sort of junk. I ordered a car (years before EV :) ), moved funds to current account, rocked up at garage at 5PM on a Friday, salesman stuffed my Debit Card in the machine ... no joy ... I phoned branch, "Yes Sir, you do indeed have funds in your account, but unfortunately that would be above your transaction limit. I'll raise the limit for you now and hang on until you call me back to let me know the transaction has been successful".

No call centre or any of that "Can you remember the last 5 transactions on your card" junk; the branch staff know their customers and handle all that customer-service stuff very efficiently.

But, yeah, no point Tesla letting you get close to the point of collecting the car without telling you that they require cleared funds.

I think debit cards are no longer the fixed smallish transaction fee they once were because they’ve extended some of the credit card protection to them. Even a small % charge can be quite meaty on a large sum.